Universal FINAL FANTASY IV - (by SQUARE ENIX)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Narziss

Narziss Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    This is a port of the DS version, which was remade into 3d polygons but does not include the after years.

2. airwa1k

airwa1k Active Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Can anyone confirm that the screen is stretched on the iPhone 5?

3. kajillion

kajillion Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Now they're just messing with us

4. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    from some on gaf,

[​IMG]

optimized my ass. Should have not bothered with these shit borders.

5. NickDD

NickDD Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Computer Information Systems Administrator
    The little kids complained in the reviews of FF III that the starting was too hard and they died before they reached the first save point. With this in mind I wouldn't be surprised if the difficulty was toned down; which I absolutely hate because I felt the difficulty for FF IV was fair.

6. Deixa

Deixa Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    You got games like MC3&4, Asphalt 7, NFS, InfinityBlade, etc... Good quality, full screen, brand new games that are much better and a decent price. Who is really gonna pay that much for an old FinalFantasy game?

7. engelke2010

engelke2010 Member

Mar 28, 2010
    So just because it's an old game, it's not worth it? That it's bad?

8. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    With that logic nobody wants to buy final fantasy 7 again. Old game, who would want it?

9. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Dont even joke about that. Man I loved FF7.

10. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    ewww those are so ugly. i'd rather just have black boxes

11. Raiel

Raiel Member

Oct 1, 2012
    No, I think what he's saying is that he doesn't think it's worth 3-5 times the price of the other games. He's not saying it isn't good, he just can't figure out what the value proposition is.

And yeah, on top of that (and this is IMHO) it's also a little archaic. I mean, yeah it's FF, but modern FFs manage to have gorgeous UIs. Why does this one still look like some kind of debug display? And Sanuku's video shows how dull auto combat with battle timers can be. You just sit there, waiting for something to happen. All the FFs have a bit of a gameplay lull in them like that, where the game mechanically grinds on for a while, but the older ones are much worse for it.

It's good. But it's not -that- good.

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Oh man. This is definitely game of the year material.

Never has it been so satisfying playing a console-type RPG on the ipad.

What I miss most from the classic console-type RPGs are the great narratives, and a classic like FF4 remade still tops most of the recent releases on the iOS on that department.

The gameplay is top-notch, the story is, well, i know how this goes already, but it is still one of the most original if you dive back from when it first came out. And the presentation of the game from gameplay to narratives to cinematics, has the very familiar Final Fantasy aura that never fails to entertain.

It would have been better with 360-degree movement control, but that is already asking too much. As long as i get to move my character as intended, I am happy.

This is so far the best game i've picked up this week, and I have bought and played Ravensword 2, Anomaly Korea, Elements Defender, Shadow Warrior, Ronin and Last Knight. I have bought but havent played Lost Treasures of Infocom (mostly because of Zork titles), Car Jack Streets, Sushi Hero, Karateka and Sacred Guns.

What's weird is that this still isnt showing on the PH appstore. Had to pickup a copy using my NZ account. :p

13. MARl0

MARl0 Member

Dec 31, 2011
    So did the game not go up as planned or something? All the direct links I've found for it just go to the FFIII page, and not the FFIV page. : /

14. Narziss

Narziss Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    @exact_psience

Thanks for your comments! I was debating getting FFIV or Raversword 2 first. I was already leaning toward FFIV but your words really pushes me to get that one. Only problem is that FFIV has yet to appear on the US store.

15. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    #75 pluto6, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    So for those of you who played FF II on SNES, and FF IV on DS, are you doing a triple dip for the iOS platform? I am very tempted - the screen shots of iOS vs DS show how much nicer iOS appears.

Oh, and its up in the US. Link -
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/final-fantasy-iv/id575119311?mt=8

This WORKS for iPad!! I don't know about iPhone.

16. shanepaw

shanepaw Active Member

Nov 9, 2012
    its 11pm EST I think but still no FFIV in the app store.

17. sladeums

sladeums Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Looks like most of Squenix apps are all 30-50 percent off.

Someone should go start a thread.

18. shanepaw

shanepaw Active Member

Nov 9, 2012
    its not showing in my ipod's app store. >.<

19. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Just a few more Years and I will be able to play Final Fantasy 9 on my iDevice...

20. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Btw how are the frame rates in this version? Ds version was like sub 20s which is horrendous. Hope this one is 30 or higher.