Eliminate Pro Feature Requests

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by cubytes, Nov 2, 2009.

1. cubytes

cubytes Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    lets hit this one up with feature requests but try to keep them focused on small enhancements, innovative additions or minor technical changes that will either improve an aspect of the game, add value to the product, and/or optimize the overall gameplay experience

remember even though Eliminate is free it is very much a product and as with any product it needs to have a profitable business model honestly i think Ngmoco has chops for going this route and I respect them for that but don't argue about monetization and/or suggest changes to the monetization model unless you have analytics with references to back up your suggestion, claim, and/or complaint aiiiight.......

lets keep the marketing bs to the marketing bs'ers and focus our free-time and enthusiasm on helping Ngmoco make this great game an awesome epic 800 pound gorilla game that the platform is just screaming for ;)

P.S if your a marketing bs'er with analytics and references dont hesitate to speak up im very much interested in what you have to say just make sure to come correct with some data w/ references aiiiiight

2. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    #2 cubytes, Nov 2, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
    i guess i will start it off..................

1) pre match lobby?

-so you can see who your going up against
    -be able to text chat
    -be able to add friends
    -veto maps
    -veto game modes (down the road)
    -would rather jump into a lobby instead of a game in progress
    -but would it add value to the experience cuz right now its pretty much instant gratification unless your out of energy then its almost instant gratification
    -the question is does Eliminate need a pre-match lobby?

2) more in depth post match results

-i want to see a k/o spread
    -who killed me the most?
    -who i killed the most?
    -be able to friend the players i just matched with
    -have a X amount of secs countdown where players could vote for instant rematch

3) game modes

My thoughts: I really dont think Eliminate should stray away from deathmatch

-local p2p via bluetooth?
    -local wifi?
    -teamdeatch match
    -death match variants (one shoot one kill, low grav, speed demons, ect)
    -tournaments (more details below)

Tournaments: the tournaments im talking about are specifically skill vs skill matches same as the standard matches but maybe with a few choices of loadouts (armor/weapons) when you first start the game or every time you spawn and in interest to not disturb the business model you can create badges at different price points buy a badge and you now have unlimited access to tournaments that badge gives you access to and of course the badges at higher price points the tournaments are not just skill vs skill matches they really would be like roundrobin playoffs with prizes for the winner and runner up

3 levels of tournaments

lv 1 -- bronze or whatever: this is your basic skill vs skill match (99cents badge)

lv 2 -- silver or whatever: this is your user generated tournaments to facilitate clan wars (higher price point badge)

lv 3 -- gold or whatever: this is your round robin (sponsored by pepsi) playoff tournaments with prizes and whatnot (highest price point badge)

* the badges are not meant as a alternative to the energy and cells business model but as a additional business model so the tournaments don't cannibalize the energy/cell model since they are skill vs skill and energy levels wouldn't apply here a la something to do when you run out of energy :)

4) Clan Wars

My Thoughts: its always a good idea to have some social layer or group/community elements in a game which imo adds astronomical value to the gameplay experience and for clan wars here is what im thinking......

-would need an overhaul on plus+ network to facilitate user generated groups & events a la facebook style but that functionality would need to be completely provided on the plus+ network

-and of course it would need voice chat for the private matches and theres a text chat in the private match lobby to help with communication as well for group members to train with each other

-last but not least you would have to leverage the lv 2 tournament mode i was talking about above and be able to have a platform that allows users to create and set up level 2 tournaments which will of course upsell the level 2 badges in the process :)

3. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Clans with tourneys ctf team dm king of the hill all ez stuff Chat rooms

4. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    i have some ideas/problems with the bots:

1. theyre stupid, they jump around, dont do much and easily get killed between that barrier thing and the wall (dont remember the location name), alos when youre invisible they NEVER SEE YOU

2. its not fair that you cant use your own weapons/armor, what if you wanna practise with something you just got?

3. they have these giant-ass weapons, like id be here with my little assault rifle and another one would vaporize me or blow me to bits with rockets

4. there should be different modes like:

Free-For-All:The one you currently have

Time Attack:See how many bots you can kill in a certain amount of time

Time Trial:You have a set number of bots you have to kill in a certain amount of time

as for a main game mode:

Capture The Flag: Infiltrate your enemies base, steal their flag and try to sneak it back to your base

Training ideas

Tarhget practice:targets pop up and you have to shoot them ASAP

just some ideas

5. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    more game modes: i think some game modes would be good, like capture the flag. maybe for DLC add-ons?

play offline with your own weapons/armor: i wanna be able to play offline with my armor and weapons instead of being forced to play with standard stuff.

sell weapons/armor/items: i just want this because i got the gravity gun thing and it sucked:p

and cubytes, i thought there already was a game lobby...:confused:

6. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    #6 cubytes, Nov 2, 2009
    @spidey146 i agree the bots are stupid and at first it was kinda refreshing when going from getting straight up own'd online to bots where i straight up own'd them but after a while it got pointless so i def think the offline practice mode needs some work and your feedback is def in line with what i was thinking you got some good ideas thx spidey146

disagree with CTF and stuff which i personally feel the maps are way too small to accommodate

@5jusername nah afaik there is no "pre game" lobby its just a countdown and instant action and if you have no energy that countdown is sometimes 15 to 30 secs long and a lot of the times you enter games that are in progress

i agree with selling stuff def a good idea

but im against other game modes i think Eliminate should stick with deathmatch variants (for now) until a DLC map pack comes with bigger maps and/or maps specifically designed for those game modes

7. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009

ya i was about to mention that until i read the last line :D

but in friend matches theres a lobby where u can chat, invite people, add friends, see whos online etc

8. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    wow a lot of you are requesting alternate game modes straight up.......

let me redact my previous comment about Eliminate should stick with only deathmatch and/or deathmatch variants for a sec cuz its always a good philosophy to give the ppl what they want :)

lets discuss game modes in more detail try to think of an innovative "new" kind of game mode that would align perfectly with the fiction/atmosphere of eliminate and would work well on small maps....

any thoughts?

@spidey yea i played a couple friend matches there is a pre game lobby for those and you can text chat which is awesome, do you think that should extend to the world matches or should it remain "instant gratification" ish?

good feedback so far guys keep it up :)

9. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    i have played halo3 but i haven't played COD:MWF (lame i know) or MAG im thinking about picking up the sequel tho i dont have a ps3 yet so MAG is out of the question but anyways has anyone played COD:MWF and/or MAG extensively? can you extrapolate some elements of that experience and apply it to eliminate?

cuz it always helps to steal ideas from other games or rather build on top of them :)

10. mjmoco

mjmoco Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    San Francisco
    Hey guys-

Thanks for thinking about what you want to see in Eliminate. I'll certainly relay things to the team.

We do want to add things like alternate game modes to Eliminate. However, we first need deathmatch to be a success -- remember what it was like getting ranked against a lvl 10 when you were a lvl 1? That's what will happen if we split the player base too early. And that's why we shipped with only 1 game mode.

And building these things is expensive, so it also will depend on whether you guys ultimately end up buying energy. ;)

Keep the ideas coming

--MJ

11. Videotape

Videotape Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    student, journeyman
    pallet town
    I mentioned this in one of the lesser eliminate threads.

the inertia like effect on the screen scrolling that causes the screen to continue to move after you lift your thumb up should have an option to be turned off.

That and it would be nice to see your k/d ratio at the end of a match...

ps im addicted already and cant wait till it comes out in the states so i can buy energy

12. mirrorbender

mirrorbender Active Member

Nov 1, 2009
    in front of my computer
    +1 to clan wars. 53rd Battalion FTW!

13. k1ite

k1ite Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    Pharmacy Technician
    Loma Linda, California
    I don't know if people would want it, but I would like an option to spectate matches if possible.

14. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    And a kill-to-death ratio leaderboard. Or a 1st place-other place leaderboard. Possibly...

15. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    seems kinda trivial but it would be nice to be able to flip the orientation, the way it is right now im steadily covering the speaker if i could flip it back and forth by rotating the phone upside down and vice a versa depending on weather im wearing headphones or not that would be awesome :)

16. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    offline mode:

heres my thoughts............

-at least have dynamic AI where it could increase/decrease difficulty on the fly depending on how well your doing on each spawn

-at least allow the player to choose loadouts (weapons/armors) or go at it with their equipped armor

-if your feeling creative you can optimize the offline mode and create a more seamless immersive experience a la portal where you would hit an elevator after each objective is completed and Ms Arsenal Megacorp will be there chatting away just to reinforce the atmosphere a bit

-objectives could be in line with what spidey was suggesting and also play on power-ups such as obtain 4 shield blasted kills, get your health to 175, obtain 5 cloak kills, 3 damage amplifier kills so on and so on

-if your feeling really creative you can create a seamless experience from one map to the next as if you were going floor to floor trying to make it thru the testing facility

17. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    #17 cubytes, Nov 2, 2009
    @videotape yea i agree the inertia was messing with me at first but once i got the hang of it i flick to turn all the time now and it really keeps my right thumb from wandering around the screen too much but turning it off would prevent the reticule from having a mind of its own when you lift your right thumb off the screen to say jump or switch weapons or something

yup yup a k/d (not k/o sorry for the typo) ratio would be awesome :)

spectator idk about that i might have spectated maybe once or twice when i first got the game but now i really wouldn't spectate that much maybe for a tournament or something once in blue moon but the question is would that functionality add enough value to the over all experience to justify building that into the product?

yup yup +1000000 for clan wars foo shoo!! also facilitating clan wars by building user generated group/event functionality into the plus+ network would essentially one up openfeint foo shoo also dont forget about the tournament levels and badges concept which will offer yet another model to leverage micro transactions albeit one time only purchases tho.....

@mjmoco i agree with limiting it to 1 mode at launch but what about deathmatch variants, tournaments and a pre game lobby? i think those should def hit the table and be discussed. the tournaments could provide an additional business model more revenue lots of value and the variants would be there just to spice things up a bit and i would imagine they would be cheaper to develop and implement more so then say a fully fledged capture the flag mode and the pre game lobby would give players the power to veto a map/variant/mode and it wouldn't necessarily divide the user base too much the tournaments will but the potential value it would add to the game i think justifies it :)

still brainstorming additional game mode ideas.................

18. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

#18 nizy, Nov 2, 2009
    STATS
    - Post match analysis, with d/k ratio, accuracy inc. head/body shots, shots fired/hit, kills of and by each opponent.
    - More leaderboards using the extra stats.
    - More awards for these stats i.e. win a round with "8 headshot kills" or "win a round with 90% accuracy".
    - I agree with cubytes suggestion of having the ability to friend players and ask for a rematch, either 1v1 or all depending on who accepts.
    EDIT: What about tracking who you've killed the most and who has killed you the most. That would be quite cool. :)
    EDIT2: And a stats page on the main menu. This should have our all-tim stats, with all the above stuff and more like no. kills etc. This way we can track how we're doing at getting the awards.

OFFLINE MODE
    - Look to Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament for inspiration.
    - They had a series of deathmatches with bots, where you had to complete goals and such.
    - Also, without network we should be able to use our unlocked weapons.

GAME MODES
    - cubytes, I don't think a lobby is needed for the general matches, maybe just an extra menu when you hit the global button in order to select your mode.
    - Last Man Standing would be a nice, easy to implement variant of the currently available deathmatches.
    - I like cubytes' Tournament mode, especially if it was community driven, so that for example we could set up a monthly/weekly TA tournament. If the system could decide matches based on the matchmaker from those entered, that might be quite nice too. And just have it as a normal mode, where you either earn credits or not depending on your energy. BUT, as a special treat, maybe the winner and finalist gets a prize of energised match(es)?

19. phoeny

phoeny Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I wish there would be an option to invert the Y-axis, i.e. sliding down = looking up and vice versa. This is how I played FPS for years and I'm having a hard time getting accustomed to the 'normal' way.
    This should also be easy to implement, I think. MJ? Allen? Please...

First post here by the by, so... hello everyone :D

20. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    @nizy great feedback!!

agreed it would def be lovely to have more in depth post match results

a pre game lobby for the world matches would be a trade off for features over instant gratification, like right now it takes literally secs 8 max to join a match with energized gear and 15-30 secs without energized gear a lobby would bump that up to 30-40 secs at least maybe more for every match cuz it would have to load everyone in the lobby and of course an additional countdown would be needed to give time so everyone can veto and what not but honestly i wouldnt mind the extra wait for those features im already used to a longer wait anyways since i have been out of cells like forever and cant purchase any atm :( but thats just me.....

yea def a user generated tournament mode would be sweet and super innovative like you said you could create a title set criteria and have that sync with the associated user generated group/event on plus+ which would then push alerts thru to the device of people who are a member of the group/event (if they opt'd into it) in the form of a badge or pop up and maybe even spill onto third party networks or SMS but im leaning towards not wanting it to leverage facebook completely and would prefer ngmoco to push all of the functionality via plus+ with no dependency on facebook whatsoever other then it being just another third party network to push alerts and content too

also interesting is round robin playoffs (sponsored by pepsi for example) with big prizes and stuff especially they are sponsored with that much marketing brand power behind you the playoffs could blow up with some social media marketing campaigns and adverts across the web not to mention being pushed thru plus+ a la cross promotion

and im starting to think that the bronze tournament is kinda pointless by comparison scratch that idea

still soo many details to work out tho.....

last man standing is def a worthy variant for inclusion

@pheony welcome to TA im still slightly noobish myself anyways im interested in your thoughts about the controls i just saw another thread bashing the controls claiming MC sandstorms controls where WAY better you agree or disagree? and just for the record i always un-invert but invert would be a welcome addition i think....there is a swap controls setting but im assuming that swaps the movement and look to the opposite sides for leftys?

how do you guys feel about the controls? how do you think the controls could be improved? any thoughts?