Cryptose - cryptogram puzzle game coming soon

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by micah, Apr 12, 2010.

1. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    Cryptose is an addictive cryptogram game with three gritty themes to choose from: Hacker, Detective, and Espionage.

menu.png hacker.png hacker_keyboard.png detective.png espionage.png fact.png

Each game you get a random short encrypted phrase (out of a database of thousands), and it's your job to decrypt it. The phrase is encrypted with a simple substitution cipher, meaning that each letter in the alphabet is replaced with another letter (for example, all A's might be replaced with Q's). You start out with the ciphertext, and it's your job to figure out what the plaintext says. To play, tap a letter in the phrase (say, A) and the alphabet will pop up. Then tap the letter you want to substitute A with (say, Q). All A’s will be substituted with Q’s, and your key will get updated. Keep this up until you have decrypted the entire phrase. If you get stuck, tap Hint and a letter in the key will get solved for you.

Between games there are interesting facts and quotes about encryption, many of them about cypherpunks and their role in legalizing it for the masses.

The game is just about done, about to be sent off to beta testers. It should be in the App Store in a week or two! I will also be releasing an Android version of it in the Android Market about the same time.

2. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    This looks amazing!

3. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    It looks hard :(

4. Whosatm

Whosatm Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Sounds like fun. Not sure if I'll be very good at it, but still sounds like a good concept.

5. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
  6. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Awesome. Great trailer and looks like great gameplay/

7. RagManX

RagManX Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Looking forward to this. It goes high up on my "someday" list of purchases. Will probably get it soon after release, as it combines some of my favorite things - puzzles and privacy/encryption/cypherpunk.

8. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    I just submitted Cryptose and Cryptose Lite to the App Store!

They're both already available in the Android Market.

9. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Congrats and good luck with the review process, can't wait to see them out! :)