Table Top Racing Premium Edition by Playrise Digital ($4,99 -> 2,99)

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Pipipitchu, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    #1 Pipipitchu, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    The best Mario Kart-like on the App Store,in my opinion.
    There is also a freemium edition.

Apparently appinfo doesn't work with App Store's new links. Here it is: https://appsto.re/us/p_19X.i

2. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Yeah the freemium version used to be the premium version until people bought it on sale. I wonder if we can expect a third premium release after this one. I won't be buying the game a second time regardless of a sale.

3. Pipipitchu

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Premium version have been released for free so people who bought the freemium version (I bought it too) could have it.

4. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Which premium version? If you mean the current on then there are still a lot of buyers of the original who missed that.

5. Pipipitchu

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Yes, I mean the current premium version, not the original release.

6. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

I am one that bought the original "premium" and yet missed the new premium.

7. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Got ya, regardless of the model change on the original I do have to agree the premium version of this was solid (as I'm guessing this one is too). It's a great game and for a first time buyer well worth grabbing.

8. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    #8 mrbiggles, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    free and $1 and $3

agree for those who originally bought the game at the premium price (should get this free)

shows it was FREE and $1

Attached Files:

9. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    #9 Jake7905, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    I bought the original game at full price, enjoyed it very much, and was lucky enough to get this re-release for free when the developers did a very brief price drop. Even though it shows as being free for a few days, it was only free for a few hours before being pulled, updated, and re-re-released as a $3 app. So it's understandable why so many people missed the freebie. Still worth paying full price for though, as it's the best "Kart" style racer on IOS in my opinion.

10. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    The dev was on here when this version was released and the dev made it free specifically so that people who got the original version before it was Freemium could avail of this one for free.
    Specifically at the request of people on here and becasue the dev wanted to do the best by people. And the dev was good enough to do the best to please those people.
    A game breaking bug was found and it had to be pulled which reset it back to original price.

Because of certain Apple related stuff (that I'm not going to detail but was out of the devs control and was not a straightforward scenario but it had greater implications), when the bug was fixed and it was put back up again, the dev could not put it for free for any period of time.

Due to that, the dev chose to support their early adopters on the forum and that if anybody who missed it while it was free for first time purchasers, they should pm him and he would happily give them a promo code so that they could get it free again.
    That offer stood for a long time after it was back up and anybody who asked for a promo code, they got one.

So, this particular dev did everything they possibly could in order to satisfy people who were unhappy. There was nothing more they could have done and they showed a huge amount of support to their original supporters in every way they could.

If people missed it at the time, it's not really the devs fault, they did all they could by making it free initially and then giving away to customers all the promo codes that they would normally give to press. That was quite a sacrifice for them because it killed any press promotion options/potential that they had.

It's also worth noting that they switched back to premium because they could not get behind Freemium as a monetisation model (even though premium was going to make things tougher financially for them) and they decided they'd rather just make games the way they want to and Freemium model was not allowing them to do that or give the best they could to the players.

So they should in fact be applauded for thinking of the player utmost rather than the bottom line only. They are one of the few that is committed to the premium model for the future also and isn't that what people have been crying out for on here with a long time.

It's not really the devs fault when people miss when it goes down in price or missed the free timespan or the promo codes. They did in fact do the best they could at the time. Substantially more than I have seen others do to please their original players.

11. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I didn't follow the devs around when this version was released so I missed out on all the offers for past customers. Whatever the case the whole make the original app freemium and the put out yet another paid app was a big turnoff. It's hard to trust devs this do this kind of stuff especially when the new version still has the IAP for in game currency. So it was easier to just delete the game and move on.

Is this new premium version really a great racing experience? I though the original game was kind of lackluster in the track design side of things. Yes they look pretty but the actual track itself being fairly dull. Maybe I'll be open to getting this again someday. The AppStore reviews for this version are very lacking. Only 3 people rated the current version of the game and only 12 rated it for any version. I guess all of the people that got it free the most must have been the dev codes which means no review possible.

12. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    @nightc1 -

I got a code shortly after release of the new premium version and I find it to be a great racing experience. I almost double dipped and got it for Vita as well. I don't know your experience, I am sort of a casual racer - I played many, many hours on Gran Tourismo, but never got all that good on it. I like Burnout style better. So, I can't say that you will like the track design. I find them good, they don't require an intense amount of memorization. Lots of fun power ups. I honestly can't say if I would buy it again as I feel for your Premium - > Freemium experience, but I would (do) tell people that it is a fantastic game and fun to play.

13. nburcombe

nburcombe Well-Known Member

#13 nburcombe, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    I saw this pop-up on my google alerts and felt I should respond. I think I've already talked on TA about the mistakes we made taking the original TTR from Paid to Free, but I'll just re-iterate for the sake of clarity. This Premium version of TTR has the same content in it as TTR Free. With the benefit of hindsight, we can see that taking TTR over to a f2p title was mistake. The reason we did it was to discover what F2P was all about and having discovered what we know now, I think its safe to say that Playrise does NOT want to be a F2P company.

We got a ton of emails asking if we could release a premium version (particularly for Android) without all the adverts and a reduction in grind and so we did it. We then thought, well why not release premium on iOS, Amazon and Samsung's store too. We thought we'd get some grief for it because I know many people here had been stern supporters of our work, which is why I did the promo code release on here for anyone who still wanted to play the game.

I was actually surprised that any of you were still playing it, and that's something else we had underestimated. We had heard that after a few months you'd likely be off the charts and no longer making any cash at all, but actually 18 months since it first release - we could see there was still an active community and we thank you all for the support you've given us.

Sadly, with this mobile market being so dominated by free2play we have decided to launch our next title on PS4, Steam and then Mobile. We are hoping that the mobile space will become a more friendly place for Paid apps in the future, but for now - it can't be a lead platform for us because we don't have the resources nor desire to become a free2play company. We just want to make good games. Good games - for a fair price. The truth is, that beside communities like Touch Arcade, the bulk of the mobile gaming audience are not true gamers and most casual users of mobile apps will delete an app after less than a day. This is not why we make games nor who we make them for.

We make gamers games. We've learned a lot on the way, but we'd rather bring you guys something awesome for $10 than scratch around trying to raise our ARPDAU (i hate all these bloody acronym's) another $0.02....Free2Play is a valid business model, but it take a certain shape of company to do it right and a clear understanding of the highly detailed analytics. We make games because we're passionate about games. TTR was just the start and you've all been amazing in supporting us.

We WILL be back to mobile at some point, but with something worth your time and money. I promise. :) I know that this community in particular has been incredibly supportive of so many Indie Devs that only want a few bucks for their games - you are their life line - so keep supporting all of the good ones. Thanks for reading.

14. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #14 Rip73, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    Thanks for posting that Nick, the insight is appreciated.
    Hopefully it will lead to some people understanding better how difficult it is for you guys out there.
    Best of luck with the next title. Be sure and let me know about it.:)

15. nburcombe

Oh and by the way - the problem with the ratings was a mistake on our part - we left the review request pointing at the free versions so when we launched the premium one - a load of review went thataway - oops. Small oversight.

16. september

Sep 14, 2012
    It still doesn't help original supporters, no one disputes development is hard but you don't play with a F2P model with customers who have bought your game. You only make it harder, you would have had me on Vita too if I still owned the game I originally purchased just out of support. $3 is nothing but principle makes it the hardest money I'd have to convince myself to part with.

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think they explained why, it was basically either go bankrupt or try and make some money.

If the original premium priced game made a ton they would have never have had to do a freemium version. Yes its frustrating but devs spend months and months creating a game and then if sales arent as good as they thought they have to make changes, sometimes drastic.

I've bought 'both' versions as i always buy games the second theyre out, yeah its a tiny bit frustrating but after reading their explanation why i havent got an issue at all.

Again if we all waited for price drops then many devs will go out of business, help support devs and they make more money and we'll hopefully get more and more games.

18. nburcombe

Duly noted.

19. nburcombe

On the nose mate. There's not enough of you guys to make paid apps sustainable, plus we had a staffing problem immediately after launch whereby we couldn't make the changes needed to make it scalable and keep bringing new tracks.

20. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    Bought the original before it went freemium and then I thought I downloaded the new "premium" edition when it was free but now it's not showing up. Shame. Not paying for the same game twice though. I know, cliche. Blah blah.