Looking for a game similar to Dark souls

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PirateRidingParrot, Nov 21, 2015.

1. PirateRidingParrot

PirateRidingParrot Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2015
    I'm looking for something to play on my Iphone 6 that will be similar to Dark souls / Bloodborne. What I mean by similar is something that let's you explore without telling you what to do so you're free to go wherever you please, something that has bosses, and something with a hard difficulty. I would really like it if it has a lot of replay value. Also, "realistic" graphics usually look bad to me on mobile phones, I prefer bit graphics that looks good.

So far I heared about Wayward souls. Is it really that good? Is it hard? Is it fun to replay it or will I get bored after 2 playthroughs?

2. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    #2 Kenan2000, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    Just wait for Capcom to fix MHFU,they'll do that for sure before or right before Christmas (just like Bioshock's fix).
    But for now you might as well play IRE - blood memory and/or as you said Wayward souls.

Now these are not really Dark souls-ish but still have something similar to it.

If you want more open-world exploration type of a game then get Terraria,it has boss fights,huge raids,biomes and all kinds of awesome stuff but I'm suggesting you to wait for 1.2.4 iOS update (which will obviously get released soon,in December probably,since it has been announced already) which is very big and awesome.

There is also Infinity blade...more like 3 infinity blades with very nice yet simple combat style.

3. PirateRidingParrot

Aug 9, 2015
    What's the problem with monster hunter?

And as I said, I don't like all those games that attempt to have realistic graphics. They usually looks weird and have a lot of awkward animations. I've watched gameplays of IRE and it looked really bad in terms of graphics and animations imo. Can you please answer my Wayward questions if you played it? :)

4. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    #4 Kenan2000, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    Monster hunter does not really have any realistic graphics...well...it's a pretty old game tbh and it is the only game that can satisfy your Dark Souls-ish needs on iOS.It's currently broken on all 64 bit devices,so Capcom pulled it from the AppStore.Now we're all waiting for them to fix it.

About Wayward souls:I'm sorry,I have not played it but I've heard that it is a very good game,ask Exact-Pscience more about it,he definitely knows much more.

There is also The Quest by Redshift (If you're on iPad,just put iPhone only in AppStore search,works on all devices and all iOS versions,thank God) even though it's not really like Dark Souls but it is truly the best open-world rpg game on iOS with bit graphics,great open world,story,gameplay,the biggest amount of replay value you can get on iOS.

5. Ragn4rok 74

Ragn4rok 74 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Wayward Souls is great. It's somewhat of a roguelike. It's kind of a Zelda-ish adventure game at least in the fighting style. The levels are random, you go through and kill monsters, I'm not sure how many dungeons there are. You earn coins to buy permanent power ups and there are characters you can unlock as well. It's not exploration like Dark Souls but it is a great game if you like roguelikes.

6. PirateRidingParrot

Aug 9, 2015
    But is it fun to replay? I would probably replay this game a lot and if it gets boring or stale after 2 or 3 replays I'd rather get something else.

7. Ragn4rok 74

Oct 9, 2014
    I think so because of the unlocks of characters and things there is always that desire to get further. I've never beaten it but there is an end. I owned it on android and bought it again for my iPad Air. Lots of people really dig this game.

8. PirateRidingParrot

Aug 9, 2015

Ok I bought it. Thanks for the help

9. Ragn4rok 74

Oct 9, 2014
    Cool. I hope you enjoy it!

10. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Wayward souls is not much at all like dark souls... BUT, it is a pretty damn good game.

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #11 Exact-Psience, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    Just dont expect a real Dark Souls experience on anything on mobile right now, but...

I recommend getting Tainted Keep.

IRE has a bit of a Dark Souls feel to it, and it's free.

And Monster Hunter is the my favorite franchise of alltime, yet could not recommend because Capcom has stopped supporting it for iOS9.

If you ignore the part in your first post that mentions Dark Souls, then Wayward Souls is pretty accurate to what you are looking for. It's pretty much what you described there.

12. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Ire: Blood Memory, maybe?

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It's pretty much dark souls in topdown, but stage-based rather than free-roam.

14. Ragn4rok 74

Oct 9, 2014
    He said he didn't like Ire so I couldn't think of anything else either. I hope I gave a good enough description for Wayward Souls. He never came back and said if he liked it.

15. PirateRidingParrot

Aug 9, 2015

Sorry I couldn't access the pc today. I really enjoyed it so far, it's pretty hard but with enough timing and knowledge about your opponent you can always win. Is there anything similar that you can suggest?

16. Ragn4rok 74

Oct 9, 2014
    I like Sproggiwood but it's a bit different than Wayward Souls. Still a roguelike with unlockable characters, gear and perks it just plays a bit different.

17. noteatino

noteatino Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2014
    I posted this about a Wayward Souls' comment on Appzapp months ago when a user posted complaining about different things of Wayward Souls. Hope this will be useful if you haven't decided yet if purchase it:

@Raining Blood:
    Yeah, it have kind of retro graphics but if you can watch a gameplay video, you'll notice that the artstyle is very detailed.
    Dude, developing this game took more than 2 years, even if it is inspired on the developer hit's Mage Gaunlet, Wayward Souls is increased tremendously. And I agree, maybe the gameplay is not new, I mean there are many dungeons to overcome and at the end a boss, but in my opinion this game really adds something on the table. I haven't seen better controls on a iOS game. The core of the game is inspired to play on your own and that's how this game increase the replay value, because you have to struggle with yourself to improve your strategy, timing and precision.

What I have to say about your price complain is that if you think that you created something innovative and really cool, the users say that (read the comments on the TouchArcade forum), the game is a success even after raise the price by a dollar with the big contet updates, and the AppStore don't have a great way to promote the currently games on sale, why would you drop the price?

I'm loving the whole experience, even I sometimes listen the soundtrack along the day. But maybe it's not your kind of game, and that's ok, definitely this game is not for everyone.

To close the comment I would like to add that I purchased the game the day it was launched and deleted it because I was so into it and I was on the middle of the semester of the university. So when my vacations started (2 months ago) I downloaded again and I haven't finished even playing most of the days.