What happens to your savegames?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Kintaro360, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Kintaro360

Kintaro360 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Vienna
    Hi guys,

what happens if you change your iphone or you want to reinstall your iPhone OS or you jailbreak ist or unjailbreake it?

Are all the saves lost? It would be very demotivating if your losing the gameprogress in long games like zenonia, the quest, mecho wars or realracing.

2. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    if you update the OS from iTunes the savegames will stay, but there's no way to transfer them to a different device

3. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yes there is.

iTunes creates a backup of all your saved data. You can install that data on any device. And you won't lose any saved data in any of those situations Kintaro360

4. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    That's true, but I'm afraid this process will create some issues if you, for instance, restore a backup taken from an iPhone 3G jailbroken to an iphone 3Gs not jailbroken.

Some system files from the jailbroken OS will pass to the new device and it will likely make a mess.

You can safely restore a backup from a different device only if it was taken with no jailbreak on the device. Otherwise mayhem may show up :)

5. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    Do backups really include savegames? because there is a lot of people on the forums complaining about losing savegames if they delete a game, so I assumed they weren't included. Then you could simply make a backup on the computer before deleting the app from the device. Does it work that way?

6. Tomsn

Tomsn Active Member

Mar 11, 2009
    What I´m doing is this. I access the iPhone via SSH (WinSCP e.g.) open the application folders I want to save from and copy the savegames to my pc. So if something is not working out I can copy them back on the iPhone and have my savegames back. The only problem is, that there seems to be no consistent system for saving. Often the save file lies in the documents folder inside the app folder. But not always. You have to look for it and if I find nothing I copy the whole app folder to my pc. For me, that´s how it works.

Important to say, the iPhone has to be jailbroken to use this method.

7. rojaz

rojaz Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Network\Server Technician
    Leeds, UK
    i don't believe so.
    I think it only backs up save games for those games installed on the device at the time of the backup.
    as soon as you take the game off i believe the savegame data is removed and therefore cannot be backed up

8. Bruno

Bruno Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Capital Markets
    Boston
    Nothing is going to work.

I change from 2G to 3GS and I lost everything.

I tried all that was said plus all the stuff that I read on the Internet.

There is no way to do it.

I do not know about jailbroken, because I didn't try.

The standard resources that we have are not enough to back up your saved games. All the other stuff (even the Safari history and icon arrangement, for example) will be restored.

9. Kintaro360

Kintaro360 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Vienna
    That's very harsh and stupid.... :eek:
    Hope that iPhone OS 4.0 stops this mess! :rolleyes:

10. Tomsn

Tomsn Active Member

Mar 11, 2009
    What are the savegames

I guess, extracting the files via jailbreak and ssh is still the only option to backup game saves. Sometimes the savegame is located in the documents folder of the app. But lately there a lot games where i can´t tell what the specific file is that stores the savegame data. E.g. Monkey Island or Sandstorm. Does anyone know which file I need to copy to my mac? Games that big take forever to save completely on the hdd.

I still don´t understand why apple won´t solve that special problem. That´s the least you could expect from a wannabe gaming platform.

11. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    if your device is jailbroken theres an app on cydia called appbackup (i think its that) and it saves all your savegame data

12. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    I huess you wont lose ALL your save games if you have flight control or real racing because i think they save your games to cloudcell. Im pretty sure there are other games that do that too but i cant think what they are.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I've gone through three first gen iPhones (broke the glass of one, short circuted the other -- don't ask) and upgraded to a 3gs. Every time I have been able to transfer save data without a hitch. The only reason I can think of to explain why you were not able to do it is that your backup file got corrupted. Save data is supposed to transfer from
    one device to another, as long as you can do a full restore from backup. (The jailbreak issue poses an interesting question, though).

14. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    yes,that's true
    getting the save files via ssh is the best choice for now

15. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    It is a huge and disgraceful omission on Apple's part. I have had three ipod touches now and each time have had to start again with my gaming progress. Games like real racing not so much of a problem as it is just so much fun to play BUT it is a MAJOR let down, many games I just gave up on after throwing good money and time after them. I know there have been posts about this before but have we here at touch arcade made a combined effort to drive this requirement home to Apple yet??? I for one use this more or less solely as a gaming device, I bought two as the battery life is not enough, I at least deserve game saves for my money. I have spoken to various genius' who have said I have a very salient point, (there must be good ways to implement this into game code or cloudtype save system like in Puzzle Quest) and tell me I should write Apple an email (yeah right buddy). Anyone high up here at T.A. feel like a challenge. I think maybe we should get around to moving that mountain...PETITION ANYONE? There are a lot of us, we have a good point.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    What do you do when you get a new iPod Touch, Bad Hanson? As I noted above, I've had several iPhones, both as replacements and upgrades, and I've always been able to transfer saves. I'm willing to accept that it's different with iPod Touches, but I don't quite understand why that would be the case, since the underlying management system is the same. I'm not trying to be argumentative here: I just want to know if there's a procedure that can be recommended to both iPod Touch and iPhone owners.

17. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    It should be the same:

1) Backup regularly.

then if you change devices or need to restore:

2) Restore from backup
    3) Sync

Don't do anything with the device between 2 and 3 if you want things to be exact on the device. Really. Last time I did this I didn't have time to do 'em both at the same time and put Str8ts on there so I had something to play with and goobered up both my app ordering and the save for Str8ts.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Thanks, drelbs. That's exactly what I've done on all my iPhones. I still have my ToyBot Diaries 1 saves, and that's the second game that I ever bought.

And yet, we still have threads like this one where people are up in arms because they can't or haven't been able to transfer saves. Seems like a very straightforward procedure to me. Perhaps it should be better documented.