Game Center - only one device per account!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jakimo, Sep 9, 2010.

1. jakimo

jakimo Active Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Am I missing something?

I have three devices in my family, all using one Apple ID. Apple allows for up to five to share one account.

Yet, Game Center allows for only one device and one nickname! Is there a way around this, or did Apple just cripple their new service from the gate? Another 'pinged' service just days apart?

Thoughts?

2. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Each person needs a seperate Apple ID, as far as I know.

3. Famousmortimer

Famousmortimer Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Can't you just have them make an apple ID and sign into yours whenever you transfer purchases?

That's what my wife and I do. She has her own apple ID, but all games are bought on my account, so she signs in on my account and downloads the games, but then goes back to her ID for everything else (she gets a lot of free apps that I dont want junking up my itunes).

4. jakimo

jakimo Active Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Apple ID for five devices

This defeats Apple's policy that an Apple ID can be shared with five devices. The workaround is available, but shouldn't be needed. Apple could of easily allowed that each UDID on the Apple ID account can have their own stats and friends, etc.

OpenFeint is here to stay, they simply use UDID.

I sure hope they fix this soon.

5. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    We use the same store id on all devices in the house. However, none of our Game Center id's are tied to that account. We just made new ones for each person, which can move from device to device if need be.

6. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    I have 3 iPhones that use 1 iTunes account. Your game center ID needs to sign in with another account even though it's not used to buy apps.

for example:

[email protected] is iTunes main account

[email protected] would be an account that signed up for iTunes. Than they can sign up for there own game center nick name.

7. jakimo

jakimo Active Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Understood.

I've done the same, created new AppleID for use on each device.

It's a work-around!! The logical thing for Apple to do, is keep their policy across their products.

Since an AppleID allows for five devices, it follows that each device should allow for a unique nick for Game Center use AND for reviews AND for Ping.

PS - Apple crushed the accepted nick system for reviews via accepting Ping. Once you sign up for Ping, you are forced to have every review you've written to show your billing name in full instead of a nick.

I'm no fan of inconsistency.

8. eyemh8

eyemh8 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    To stay stupid
    Estes Park co.
    I ued my nick name for my ping account and it works. But ping is worthless for other reasons

9. jakimo

jakimo Active Member

Dec 31, 2009
    It won't work for long though.

Head over to your iTunes account information and check out your billing name for your credit / debit / paypal account - now it's your nick. It may very well cause future purchases to fail, as it no longer matches your billing account information.

In the fine print of sorts, Apple makes it clear that your nick gets wiped once you join Ping and that your name now matches your billing name on your iTunes account.

Yah, Ping is in alpha. I love Yo Yo Ma's page though! Check out the video he posted recently of Silk Road Connections.

10. eyemh8

eyemh8 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    To stay stupid
    Estes Park co.

I removed my card so maybe that's why I only use gift cards now. I don't think I'm much into " Yo Yo Ma's " now when pig destroyer or the melvins get a page let me know

11. Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Peoria, Arizona
    They better have a way to use the same ID across multiple devices at some point. I'm planning on getting an iPad and an iPhone and there's no way I'm going to use a different ID for each device.

12. powersurge

powersurge Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Err wait one person with multiple devices can't use the same account across devices? I've got an iPod touch (2g) as well as an iPad. I still sometimes use the iPod (rarely) to play certain games besides just a music player. Will this mean I need a different account for each device? That would be awful.

13. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    @jakimo - it is actually not 5 iDevices , it is 5 computers that you can share. You can have unlimited iDevices. Between iPhones, iPods, touches, etc my family has like 9 iDevices. I only use 2 computers with an account associated with Apple. Not what you were talking about, but thought I would clarify as I got panicky when I was going over the 5 iDevices and thought I would have to deauthorize something.

14. Morbus Iff

Morbus Iff Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Ugh, this is horrible. I have multiple devices, and I, as a singular, want to use Game Center on all of them, as one person. It makes no sense to own an iPad and an iPhone, but then be forced to use two different Game Center IDs for them. So, what, a person who has an iPhone can never "upgrade" to their iPad, cos their GC account won't follow them? That's obscene.

15. Nanyko

Nanyko Member

Nov 10, 2009
    iOS game developer, Pocket Oinko babysitter
    Haarlem, The Netherlands
    You can, and it will. Just don't log into Game Center with the same account on multiple devices at the same time. Unless you're playing one game on your iPhone with your left hand, and another on your iPad with your right, it shouldn't be a problem.

16. Morbus Iff

Morbus Iff Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    So, how is this a problem then? Seems to make sense now:

* Multiple people can't be working on the same account at the same time.
    * Multiple people can't be earning achievements on the same account at one time.
    * Multiple people can't be multiplayering on the same account at one time.

This sounds entirely normal for any online service - why are folks complaining?

I guess the only thing I would really complain about is that a second login doesn't work, versus "logs off the first login". I'm not really enthused about having to remember to log off from iPhone GC so that I can iPad GC. I'd much rather it just be "Ah! An attempt was made on the iPad, but the iPhone is still up; I'll force a logout and reauth to the iPad."

17. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    And what if if want to use apps from 2 different accounts on the same on the same device? Do I always need to log-in with the corresponding Apple ID?

18. kali

kali Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Nov 2, 2009
    Senior Software Engineer
    You can create new accounts in Game Center and these are separate from the one that is tied to your phone for app purchase. You are thus free to sign into any id you want in Game Center and it does not change the one iTunes uses.

Just make sure that you leave iTunes signed into the one with 'moms credit card':)