What are the best iOS RPG's released in 2012??

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by drez, Sep 9, 2012.

1. drez

drez Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I've been away from the iOS gaming scene since probaly late 2011. I heard about Bastion and Dragon Island on a podcast and playing both reminded me how much fun playing on the iPad can be.

I'm a huge RPG fan. What are some of the best RPG's released on iOS this year? I'd love to start building up my iOS RPG collection again.

2. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Well, it isn't out yet, but Ravensword 2 shall be among us soon. It looks to be the greatest iOS RPG known to man.

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Just Chaos Rings 2. Nothing else since its release.
    Some said "The World Ends With You" by S/E, but I think that one is just some mediocre, but absolutely overhyped game.

4. drez

drez Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2010
    That's unfortunate. I guess CR2 and Bastion will have to do for now.

5. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    No....TWEWY is great. One of the best I've played.

6. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I didn't play TWEWY, but Drakerider and Chaos Rings 2 are awesome.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #7 Vovin, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012

Yes. But only if you're into dialogues which go on and on for hours and your biggest hobby is collecting bottle caps. Also the art style... well, Square / Enix can definately do better.
    But as always, tastes differ.

edit: forgot to mention that Order & Chaos from GameLoft is free to play now. They removed the monthly fee. That's one MMORPG worth to sink hundreds of hours into.

8. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Well that sure is gonna piss off a lot of people who already spent hundreds of dollars into that game lol.

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Nah, the most ppl were reall happy. And it's free 2 play for everyone now. Including those who already played it for a long time and still play it.

But I forgot @ thread OP: did you check out Cthulhu saves the world and The Bards Tale? Both are enjoyable, but not original iOS releases.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Vovin is wrong about TWEWY, of course (no offense -- I've been wrong about games myself many times). Probably the most original and exciting JRPG to come out in the last 5 years.

Chaos Ring II is also great, as is Bastion. There's also Avernum on the iPad. Final Fantast Dimensions is the best old school RPG I've played in a while. There have also been a number of less traditional titles, including Acheron Prime and both Squids. You can also look at SRPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics and Spectral Souls.

11. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    It's worth mentioning that the Bards Tale comes with the original two games of the series included. IIRC, three were made, but I'm not sure if that ended up in the game.

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    My top RPGs for 2012 (although im not sure if everything i post will be from 2012)

Horn
    Bastion
    EPOCH. (2012?)
    Chaos Rings 2 (is Omega a 2012 release? coz it can be here too)
    Drakerider - not as polished as CR2, but definitely a solid RPG
    The Word Ends With You - despite what Vovin has said, this game actually has the MOST details and in-game mechanics than any other game on the appstore right now. The reason why it uses such graphic style is that this was originally from a DS which isnt as powerful as the iOS native capabilities, especially with the content this game offers.
    Final Fantasy Dimensions - the only downside is the price, and everything else is fantastic
    Master Of Dungeon - a list isnt complete without this great KRPG which features 360-degree movement similar to Crimsonheart
    Cthulhu Saves the World - Very charming and funny spinoff
    Legend Four - puzzle RPGs are not getting behind on the 2012 releases with this one. I want to add 10000000 here, but even with the upgrades and its brilliance, it still failed for me to be an RPG.
    Tunnel Tail - for something that's totally free, this deserves to be here for its content and gameplay

13. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I'm sorry, but describing Epoch. As an ROG is a bit of a stretch. No, it's a ginormous stretch. Not that it's a bad game; the opposite is the case.

14. Rusothil

Rusothil Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    What about crimson heart and swordigo?

15. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    Crimsonheart is hands down the best KRPG alive....also Osiris legends is a great one too...

As for other console quality games FF 3 redone for ios is great....I'm also diggin drakerider ....as for Indie dev team rpg greatness ...fall of angels is epic

16. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #16 Vovin, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
    squarezero, e-p: of course I am not wrong - that's why I've chosen my words cautiously:

I tried it and I am absolutely sure: I don't like TWEWY. As I said, tastes differ. How can I be wrong when my personal opinion is: "overhyped but only mediocre stuff"? ;)

17. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

wtf?!?

(*downloads*... *plays for a few minutes*)

THANKS, buddy! :)

How could THAT slip by, unnoticed by me?
    That looks like a really good RPG (with JRPG-like battles), cool setting (a bit Steam Punk-like), completely free with lots of content... and NO IAP. Just played two fights, but I really like what I see.

I love how the game adresses the player directly all the time.

18. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    +1 for TWEWY. Havent tried Bastion yet since I dont have an iPad. Hope it gets porte to the iphone though

19. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Not released yet, but I'm hoping Baldurs Gate will be as fantastic as the first time I played years ago.

20. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    Avernum - Escape from the Pit
    Avadon - The Black Fortress
    Avernum 6 - Coming October 2012
    Baldurs Gate I - Coming this month
    Legend of Grimrock - 2012