Universal Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Capy_Nathan, Mar 23, 2011.

1. MeteorFlare

MeteorFlare Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Hi, I just completed the first chapter of the game! One phrase to sum it up, "It's an experience."

I tried searching the thread for any hints on this little request of mine. But, to no avail.

I'd like to ask if there's any plans to introduce Game Center support to this game?

That's all!

2. Flowermilk

Flowermilk Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Game Concept Artist
    SoCal
    Guys

I didn't review the game out of spite or because I crave for attention. I stand behind everything I said and the simple fact that you are so eager to defend the game no matter what shows how biased you are. I don't think that it's very fair from fanboys to judge my review as biased. I compared the game to its main influences but I don't ask that they have the same production values than big projects, nor that they copy these titles. I'm talking about mood and fun. For a game that borrows from these past games, I simply didn't find anything which I could enjoy, as I enjoyed these games for the reasons I explained. I was not moved, like the Fueda titles moved me, or Another World moved me (and this has nothing to do with production values). It wasn't fun to play, like I had fun playing point and click adventure games or action games like The Mechner ones. All I say is that to me, S&SEP doesn't succeed In any compartment. For me, it tries to do too many different things but succeeds at none.

3. Dusse

Dusse Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2010
    The EP in the title does not stand for "Expansion pack", but rather the musical term "Extended play".

4. aurorajorealis

aurorajorealis Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Artist Liaison @Superbrothers
    Toronto
    There is an alternate thread full of hints and spoilers here:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=88790&page=1

5. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Same logic should apply to articles that are openly biased imho.

6. ErikTheRed

ErikTheRed Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #266 ErikTheRed, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
    See, and for me, that was what was so refreshing about it. It just felt very different, but familiar at the same time.

You may not have gotten the Ico or SOTC vibe, but I sure did. I found myself standing still just admiring things a LOT, listening, watching, just taking it in. I watched a little pixel bug float from bush to bush for a good few minutes. S&S is a space I really enjoy just hanging out in. I found it truly beautiful. I know there are pixel game galore out there, and it's definitely trending right now, but I think Craigs work really is a cut above the rest.

I think the only had issues with the controls a few times, usually when I was trying to interact with "Dogfella". I found myself petting that crazy Caucasian Shepherd every chance I got. He was awesome. "Dogs gotta do". ;) So when I would try to double tap him, I would inadvertently tap something else behind him. I primarily used double tap to move around as I found touch to obstructive to my view of the scenery.

I got my butt kicked in combat the first few times, but it wasn't a control failure for me. It was not knowing I could dodge. ;) I have pretty big hands, so the iPad is a good fit control wise for this game. The first major battle you get into is one I am not likely to forget anytime soon. That was really cool for me. I actually enjoyed the combat so much that I would just stand around waiting for something to come along (as much for the combat MUSIC, which was AWESOME).

I get where you are going with the dialog. But for the most part I found it beautiful, poetic, funny, and crazy. Had they made it too serious, I think it would have just turned into a soul crushing experience instead of the healthy blend that it is. Still, I could imagine it that way, and wonder if it wouldn't have increased the impact somewhat. So, I do see your point here.

The puzzles got a little stale over time, I agree, but were no less meaningful. And a few of them, for their visual effects alone, gave me total goosebumps. I think I hit a bugged puzzle on the waterfalls, but after a quick restart, the problem was solved.

And don't get me started on Jungian psychology that is going on in here! Holy crap! This thing is PACKED with Carl Jung. Lucky for me, I find it really interesting. It added another dimension to pick through mentally, which I totally love doing.

Anyway, enough rambling. I totally loved S&S and it made it into my short list of games that I will replay as a good reminder of why I love these things. It's a space I really look forward to exploring again, probably soon. :)

Maybe give it another go after all the hysteria has washed over? I think there are still plenty of things here to like! ;)

Oh, and I totally agree that it's success is a good thing. I really hope it encourages other up and coming developers to try new things that are maybe outside the box.

7. Flowermilk

Flowermilk Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Game Concept Artist
    SoCal
    Absolutely. And like I said in my review, even though I don't like this game, I really appreciate the creative process behind it and I'll keep purchasing future games from the Superbrothers because they didn"t compromise and they push the indie game development on IOS in a direction that I like. And I want to support that.

8. Potteronehalf

Potteronehalf Active Member

Jun 23, 2010
    So when is the next one coming out? Haha

9. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Not crazy about the controls for moving. But then, I've always always hated having to wait for a character to move from one side of the screen to the other, while nothing of importance happens, like in some final fantasy games, like FF7. Yeah the scenery is goegeous, and the music is great, but walking back and forth so many times gets old for me, especially when some of the more cryptic sections have you wondering for literally hours not knowing what to do.

That's probably my only complaint besides the laughable orientation requirement.

10. MeteorFlare

MeteorFlare Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    err, I have no problems playing the game and going through with the motions.

I was just wondering if there'll be Game Center for this game some time in the future?

11. guyver009

guyver009 Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Stuck in Beginning

There are three sprites you need to awaken.. I cannot seem to awaken the third one. I picked up one of the mushrooms near the goats and used it near the third sprite which seemed to activate a sequence.. but I can't get this one to do anything like I did with the other two sprites. What am I missing?

12. aurorajorealis

aurorajorealis Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Artist Liaison @Superbrothers
    Toronto
    See my answer by hi-lighting the following white-on-white text: Tap the sheep in this sequence (1-3) (2-4) (5-7)(6-8) or and other arrangement of the 4 pairs Future questions should be asked on the spoiler thread:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=88790&page=2
    Or the facebook discussion forums:
    http://www.facebook.com/board.php?uid=136328906433586

13. guyver009

guyver009 Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Re: Sheeps

Sorry for not posting this in the correct spot.. regarding the sheeps.. I already freed this sprite. I did the sheep one.. I did the one right outside the girls hut, but I'm stuck after that.

14. Rasterico

Rasterico Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Finally finished this masterpiece tonight, what an absolute delight from start to finish, If only more games designers had this kind of vision and creativity.

I'm kinda gutted and elated at the same time to have finished it, sorry that theres no more to see but glad that the gogolithic mass is no more! one good thing is I can finally read all the reviews posted around the net that I've been avoiding!

Thanks for an awesome game guys, it's been more than worth the wait!

15. ErikTheRed

Nov 4, 2010
    #275 ErikTheRed, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
    Agree with everything you wrote. Such a great game. Best I've played in years. For real. Felt a little bad about... messing... with... stuff... to finish early??? I fought hard not to, but I just couldn't put the game down. Makes for really convenient replays though, cause I really want to go back to the game again.

For those that have finished (or if you don't care about spoilers) and if you subscribe to that whole Twitter nonsense, look up @logfella - he's awesome. ;) It's like reading a cool addition to The Megatome.

16. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Session one was pretty scary. Session was pretty fun-- was a little confused with the sheep puzzle-- Great experience so far.

17. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
  18. Doffie

Doffie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Retired, now concentrating on good works and good
    Storrs, CT
    I tapped the sheep in the correct sequence, seem to have released the sprite okay. But I thought the sheep were supposed to leave the meadow after that. But, they're still there.

Please, what am I missing?

19. Rasterico

Rasterico Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    You're obvioulsy missing the fact that all questions regarding hints and tips should be directed towards the hints thread which has been clearly marked in your own post above!

Please direct all such questions to that thread.

20. ErikTheRed

Nov 4, 2010
    #280 ErikTheRed, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011