Universal The Bard's Tale - (by inXile Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 30, 2011.

1. RazvanGNR

RazvanGNR Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    The next time i`m getting wasted, i`m gonna sing in honor of charlie mops :))) for sure

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    And we're back.

Not showing up in searches, but the link from the first post works now. Downloading now, will try to post feedback once I play this.

It's so big it won't let me download to my device. =/

3. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Yes! That's great, it really is one of the best IOS' thursday ever...

4. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    Thanks mate! Can u post the uncompressed filesize? Please?

5. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    1.68GB uncompressed. This and 1 gig from IBii basically forced me to delete every app but a hardcore few.

:(

6. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA

Thanks bro ...I expected worse actually but I'm in the same boat..played the game on the original Xbox and can't wait to have it in my pocket..I actually had to wipe 4.5 gb myself :(

7. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    So I guess before I get this instead of IB2 I should ask is this game mostly dependent on humor or is the gameplay really good. Does it have depth unlike other IOS games. I guess I just want to know if it's more about humor or gameplay? What does it offer that's different than other games out there?

8. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    #88 Trev1, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
    It's a great balance man..will have you laughing aloud and a really nice hack and slash as well ...in the vein of diablo or dungeon siege for the psp..character interaction and cinematically are off the wall polished and the depth is solid ..more so because it will offer it's 30-35 hours in your hands..I remember a lot of summon type spells that were cool and some nice bashing combos ...you WILL be satisfied with this purchase bro!

I can say you will not have played a hack n slash like this on ios...except maybe dungeon hunter but this tells a great funny as hell story !

9. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    This actually precedes all other titles launched "today" in my book. Seriously, a full PC/console port with detailed enough graphics, actual voice acting, better story and full 30+ hours, non-repeating, gameplay, unless (big one), the control ruins it...

Com'on, I think if you have a problem with the storage size, run out and buy yourself a new iDevice just for this. (quote me)

10. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Is it just the screenshots or is the game stretched on the iPad?

11. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    It sounds good but I think I'm going to just wait to hear how it plays on IOS. Unless it has bad controls or lags I think I'm going to get this one.

12. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    The videos are smaller resolution than even the iPhone screen, I think they were just ported over with black borders. Looks as well as it did on the PS2 years ago when I played it. That is to say... Well... Yeah.

Only *just* got to the gameplay, no comments on that yet.

13. Quickmix

Quickmix Active Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Record Producer
    Berlin
    It's available in the german App Store. I bought it 10 minutes ago.
    4,99 Euro. Let's play :)

14. BruceChillz

BruceChillz New Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    #94 BruceChillz, Dec 1, 2011
    Downloaded installed wtf the Ingame Language is French.... :confused: How to change Language or is it a bug?

15. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Unless you're somehow mistaking this with the original Bard's Tale - hardly.

Yeah, this is more like what I'm thinking as well.

If juvenile, overstated, sexual innuendo driven humour and gameplay that felt old half a decade ago is your thing though, by all means enjoy. If I come across as snide, it is because your iOS inferiority complex is threatening my enjoyment of gaming on said platform in the immediate future.

16. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    The Bard's Tale remake is a parody of the genre, and is genuinely entertaining. It's presence on the platform causes no harm or foul.

Does everything seem stretched?

17. TheBeastlyNinja

TheBeastlyNinja Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Computer stuff
    Right behind you
    Is this open world? Kinda on the fence here

18. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Not stretched, but the graphics are the same as on a ps2 version, with black borders around the movie box. Not impressed with the cutscenes at all. But no, they aren't stretched.

In-game the graphics are... passable. They are occasionally pixelated, but not enough that it looks horrible. It's almost stylish, just not very good...

From what I remember of the PS2 version, there was on open-world element to it.

I can't talk much more about it, I need to go somewhere, but once I'm back I'll play it and post more impressions.

19. JMarceLF

JMarceLF Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    CHEF
    California
    #99 JMarceLF, Dec 1, 2011
    What kind of iDevice do you have? 4 or 4s? It's supposed to scale graphic options depending on the device you own. I'm sure on a 4s/iPad 2 it must look great.

20. tx8305

tx8305 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    To ensure full disclosure, I haven't played this yet, so I can't vouch for how good the port is.

With that said, even if this isn't the best game of last gen, a game of more average quality on a home console is still likely to be much better than the overwhelming majority of titles on iOS. If anything, releases like this (and GTA III etc..) make me excited about what could happen if the app store doesn't fall into freemium hell.

You gotta start somewhere and this is far from being a "bad" game even by PS2 or Xbox standards.