Game Center and Anti Piracy

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Xapped, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    I think game center could be easily used as a anti-piracy method. Since you use a apple ID, game center could check if you actually purchased the game. Then if game center found you didn't pirate the game, it could disable the game or even your itunes account / idevice.

2. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    No unfortunately installus makes it look like you did purchase the app. But that I'd a pretty good point.

3. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Might work for a few days but lets face it with root access to the device there is no way to stop piracy. You could easily spend billions on DRM and some schoolkid would find a way round it in an afternoon just for credit of being first break it.

I don't agree with piracy and I'm unjailbroken but I'm also not a fan of DRM as in most cases it just ruins the end product and makes real customers have to jump through hoops. I'd say do what you can to prevent it but don't spend to much because it's ultimately a losing battle.

4. spyky

spyky Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2010
    That's a wrong way to look at it. If you're sharing apps with your siblings/spouse you're gonna get flagged wrongly.

5. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Apple actually has an API to do just this but there's some reason why it's rarely used that I can't remember.

6. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    You cannot stop Piracy. Someone might just patch the game or make a patcher to solve the problem. Really K?!, hmm thats interesting

7. hamster787

hamster787 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    well i used to be jailbroken and i did download some apps illegaly :( however when i relised a couple of weaks later hpw unfair this was to the developers stealing there hard work i stopped during the time i was jailbroken i found that worms and some other apps which could detect if it had been downloaded illegely they would not let me access the game. However if this became a popular method then someone would find a way round unfortunatly there is no way to stop it
    However if apple could find a way to detect pirates then maybe they could break through

8. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Congrats on breaking the habit. :)

9. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    [​IMG]

In 3-2-1...

10. hamster787

hamster787 Well-Known Member