New release list on the new iPhone App Store

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Comicool, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Comicool

Comicool Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    I've noticed on the new iPhone App Store, when you goto the category under features it shows 'new' (equivalent to the new and noteworthy on pc App Store), "what's hot" and then "Paid".
    From what I can see the "Paid" shows the newly released paid apps. However there is no section for newly released "Free" apps like there is on the iPad App Store.

This is a bit of a concern to me as I've been building a new game that I planned to release as a free-to-play game (with optional in app purchases for the ingame currency system). Now since there isn't a new release list for free apps on the iPhone store, I will probably miss out on the exposure that it would have brought.

What is everyone's thoughts on this? Do you think it's more worth it to just release as paid, so I can get on the new paid lists? My game can be played on its own without the optional in apps for extra in game currency. I was thinking doing it paid at first then dropping to free after a while?

2. Comicool

Comicool Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Sure thing, I just downloaded your game. How long did you have it paid for before going free? Also would you be able to share your download numbers?

3. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Wait...did Apple reverse their policy of refreshing the download count when games go from paid to free, or vice-versa? That would bring back the system to the way it was from the time the AppStore launched until...what, a year ago or so?

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
  5. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well appanie does not reset anything since they are just collecting itunes data.

if any paid app does not sell it does not show in the charts, so if you switch to free and get some downloads you make a blip on the charts and if you don't start to sell once switched to paid you are off again.. so?

not sure what i should explain since you gave vague informations in the first place which confused greyskull..

whats interesting is that you say you got top 50 rankings whereas appannie shows very different numbers.

and 241 (apparently free) downloads? is that correct for your one day free promotion?