Universal Wayward Souls (by Rocketcat Games) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2014]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 23, 2014.

1. namelastname112

namelastname112 New Member

Aug 5, 2014
    how about a new game mod? like a big room with enemies and chests dropping from the ceiling constantly with, with short breaks for upgrades and stuff, a giant endless arena survival. i know it sounds kinda too big for an update, but maybe you'll do it in a sequel or something.

2. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    We have something like this designed already. It's not endless, though. It'll probably be slipped into the PC update. We may do the PC content for the iOS version over the course of a couple updates, since otherwise it would just be one megahuge update.

Off top of head, here's content we're planning to do (though all of it maybe won't happen):
    - Dropbox support for save syncing and backup is likely
    - A new very quick but very difficult Gauntlet mode with new, harder versions of each boss.
    - New Paladin character, he gets his own mode instead of doing bronze/silver/gold/etc.
    - Arena mode is pretty likely, we just need to finish it.
    - Pets added to the game. Find them and they give you a bonus or do extra attacks for you.
    - Looking into more animations for the monsters and new music.

3. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Alright, I'm loving this game!!! It's definitely quite challenging which makes it rewarding when you succeed. Very old school except we didn't have games this good back in the day. :)

I've also come around to appreciate the pricing scheme. I often buy a game and play the heck out of it. Once I'm done, I rarely go back and play it again. Following this logic if I bought this game at launch I probably wouldn't gotten much value out of the new content. So in the end most people are getting out exactly what they pay for.

Now bring on Death Road to Canada. :D

4. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    I knew you'd like it :) .. Happy gaming sir

5. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I'm having a bit of an issue with the controls. I can't consistently activate skills when I need them. Any trick to it?

6. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Mostly it's just practice. We're thinking about also adding a buttons option later on, like in Mage Gauntlet. Since there'd only be two buttons I think it would work pretty well.

7. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Thanks. Let me know if you need help testing it because my middle name is fumble-fingers.

8. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

I loaded this up on my new iPhone 6 and was sad that there was no way of transferring my iPad data over. If I'm understanding you correctly, you're planning on the Dropbox update for iOS? That would be amazing. Would love to take this with me. Any idea when you will implement this, Kepa?

I get a happy feeling every time I come back to WS. The music, the atmosphere, just everything is so perfect.

9. Warriv

Warriv Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 21, 2015
    Portugal
    Hey, Kepa was here! Thank you for answering our questions and for generally being amazing. I get that a good developer should read as most feedback as possible, but, there's feedback, and there's self entitlement, and I just can't stand the attitude of some people. You know, it's as if developers aren't human beings, but some kind of sentient machine whose sole purpose is to entertain.

For one, I regard a game as a work of art, and as such, subject to the most diverse interpretations. You wouldn't go around telling Tarantino that dancing scene was no good, or that his movies are too gory, and he should tone them down. It's not the best of examples, I know, but I think it gets the point across.

Anyway, I hope you keep that passion intact, and may Rocketcat games keep developing games for us to enjoy for a long time.

Also, about MG, I'm glad you're introducing swiping. I still haven't bought it yet (because, well, I committed the mistake of purchasing x-com, which basically put my life on halt), but I will as soon as you update it!

10. DantBro18

DantBro18 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Lately I've been playing a lot of Mage, and I was wondering what you guys think the best combo of upgrades is for the Mage, either defence or offence really.

11. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I like the Walwin's Frock, the one that makes you dash backwards while making a decoy. I also like the electric surge one that does a ton of damage but is short range. For staff, most of the mage staffs are pretty good now so it just depends on my mood.

Thanks1 We just do whatever really. And we try to experiment with things, and that can be good or bad.

Dropbox update for iOS will likely be around the same time as the PC release of Wayward Souls. We're hoping to do this in October, but if we miss that date it would be in January instead.

12. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Finally went back to Wayward souls after a months-long break to get the last few achievements added in the last update, most notably the "Eternal" achievement of reaching the 100th floor of the Endless Shadow.

Question: does anyone else have the "Magic Eater" achievement show up in the in-game achievements list, but not in Game Centre? I'm wondering if it's a bug or a problem unique to me.

13. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    #3913 Makoto, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    I got all achievements in-game and in GC, FYI. Maybe it's just because of poor connection? I mean, not afterward, but when you got the achievement in game.
    I deleted the game after gaining all achievements, now I regret a bit considering the long awaited Paladin may need "Eternal" to unlock, and, all the money for unlocking his upgrades…

14. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    There's cheat codes for that.

15. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    I tried that one, but it seems to only unlock the first 3 medals for me. Or is there another one code?

16. ryanini01

ryanini01 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Behind you
    I just discovered the best way of killing every boss, just use warrior with drakesfire grease and keep swiping up and down, every time you take out your shield or throw an axe it shoots a projectile, bosses go down in like 5 seconds :)

17. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    stubble: All warrior upgrades
    batstab: All rogue upgrades
    wizardtalent: All mage upgrades
    bigadventure: All adventurer upgrades
    nicescrolls: All spellsword upgrades
    demonbind: All cultist upgrades
    humphrey: Tower available on all characters, Adventurer unlocked
    amaranth: Catacombs available on all characters, up to Spellsword unlocked
    thorns: Catacombs available on all characters, up to Cultist unlocked
    dabigunlock: All characters to Cultist, Endless and Diamond unlocked

18. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Wow, I only knew the last one. Thanks buddy!
    Yet it seems that these still can't unlock Eternal? Maybe that's by design? Kepa seems to have said something like "we want only a few players to beat diamond", let alone endless. Maybe there's just no codes for unlocking the incoming Paladin yet.

19. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    i play this game every single day since release.

20. bhoylhogro

bhoylhogro Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2014
    I haven't finished playing Mage Gauntlet's master mode yet but decided to get Wayward Souls. Difficulty is very much at par with Mage Gauntlet, but I found the swiping controls awkward after being used to the virtual button layout MG has. I managed to beat the first dungeon boss as warrior after some (MANY) deaths but beat him with rogue after one death. I still wish we have the option for virtual buttons like MG. Well, I'm sure I'll eventually just get used to it.

If the first dungeon was that hard, I'm sure the later ones will further test my mettle. Let the battery life BURN!!!!