iPhone Elder Sign: Omens HD By Fantasy Flight Games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Nov 3, 2011.

1. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Just one quick question : would it be any good (more interesting game, added value, ect...) to try the iap campaings even if I still haven't beaten the original game, or should I stick with it until I'm good enough to win on a semi-regular basis?

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    It's really up to you.

I personally like the challenge of hard games like these so I jumped into Cthulhu as soon as it was released. If you aren't concerned about winning and just want to enjoy a great game then go grab the IAP.

If you're just looking for more interest try playing the normal games with 4 random players. Trying to figure out the best strategy and using each investigator effectively is always interesting.

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Sorry, it was only an assumption made based on...hope?

Thankfully I've yet to complete either expansion and now no longer have any excuses. :D

4. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Hahaha,....
    Now hopefully the bug perishes as I'm going to play again today to save Ashley.

5. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Damn, Ithaqua just annhilated my party!!!
    Was my fault to be honest...I thought it was easier so I entered the cave with zero objects and loads of unspent trophies....had I had 2-3 clues I would have defeated it easily.
    Well....another excuse for another trip to Alaska.

Compared to my previous (victorious) campaign attempt this was completely different....every 'step' of the Alaska trip is randomized...so in one play through I was robbed of provisions, in the other I found 10 (TEN!!!!) pack of wolves (they are damn hard to kill before midnight, when they replicate!!!) and many other different things...not to mention plenty of windstorms random effects.

Game is still awesome!!!

6. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    Man, there goes my excuse for trying to rescue Ashley. Of course she has died horrible deaths the couple of times I have beaten Ith, but that is beside the point. :p

7. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I can confirm they solved the bug :p

Just saved Ashley and banished Ithaqua; the last character was succefully unlocked :)))

What an amazing game!!!

8. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I jump into after reading all the glowing discussion here. But any tips for newbies? It is kinda hard to win (too random I suppose ;) )

9. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    The in-game help videos don't do a thing for me, but I find this rulebook extremely useful. Read that and go through a couple of games. I used that and won my second game. Pitta gave me a couple of really useful tips too, namely work on the locked glyphs and midnight effects adventures first.

10. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    Great work! I had to hit Ith earlier than I wanted to, as one of the random events wiped out all of my provisions (all 4 of them!). Still, I had a chance to pull off a victory and it came down to the last roll.

Nope! I know you need a skull, how about something else instead.

Ashley, I sure hope you have nine lives like a cat.

11. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Poor Ashley :)

A tactic that never failed me:

As soon as you miss just 1 sign to find the cave, or a bit earlier, load up your characters with clues.
    There is a character the can transform any glyph in skulls too, it helps.

Some random events that can happen in the very last part are really nasty.
    Loosing all the provisions is one (I lost 11 once!).
    The worst I encountered are pack wolves that multiply by midnight and are thought to beat.
    The campaign is awesome.

I want to replay the Cthulhu one too now, I miss him...it...

12. I've been playing the non-HD version on my iPad. Is there any difference between the two? I think it's time for the IAP campaigns for me so I could change to the HD version before investing in them..

13. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    #173 ojtitus, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    There is no difference except the HD version obviously looks nicer on an iPad. It's well worth the upgrade.

14. Darkreaver1980

Sep 12, 2010
    I would buy an Ipad just for this game. I have played Elder Sign: Omens like 200+ hours with my girlfriend so far. We allways play with 4 investigators, 2 for each of us. After each turn we pass the ipad around, which keeps the game very entertaining.

15. Grudunza

Grudunza Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2012
    I disagree that an upgrade is necessary. It looks great at 2x.

16. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Both the iPhone and iPad versions of Elder Sign: Omens have been updated.

The Dark Pharaoh, an in-app purchase:

• The Dark Pharaoh campaign, with three stages and multiple endings.
    • All new Ancient One
    • Over 65 new adventures
    • Lingering Effects and Allies
    • 8 New Monsters
    • 4 New Investigators
    • Unlockable Bonus Investigator when you successfully complete the campaign
    Even more free updates:

• Hastur, a new Ancient One
    • The Dark Pharaoh in-app purchase campaign
    • Reorganized menus
    • Texture memory optimizations
    • Bug fixes and gameplay optimizations

17. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Too late. Elder Sign: Omens' space on my iPad had been requisitioned for Warhammer Quest.

It is a fight between the Ancient Ones and the Chaos Gods now...

18. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Pfft, "too late". Pretty sure you've got a bunch of junk games you can delete if you really need the space. :p

19. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    All I have left are the Knizia games, the cooperative games, and the Half played Kemco games.

I really wish that all developers will implement iCloud permanent savegames, so that I can delete without worry.

And Apple to keep archive images of the apps they sold us, so we don't need to worry that they can no longer be redownloaded from the App Store cuz Apple or the developer yanked it...

20. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    These new mechanics, I believe only in the new IAP Dark Pharaoh Campaign, are pretty clever.

Allies: These are NPCs you rescue on adventures that then any of your investigators can call upon for their unique abilities. These abilities are like using an inventory item in that the relevant ally will light up when the current investigator can use them in the midst of his current adventure. The catch is your team can never have more than 2 total in your party and that to use their ability the currently active investigator has to pay for their services in trophies (usually 2).

Lingering Effects: Starting in the second stage of Dark Pharaoh, each day (full rotation of the clock), there will be some environmental rule in effect for all investigators. These typically are some ban on an item type's use for that day, like no spells can be used this day. An annoying but challenging twist to contend with, for sure.

Lastly, it just hit me, that this game seems to often state something as benign as "once per day" but really mean 1 of 2 possibly different things. These lingering effects change at the end of each day (full rotation of he clock) but an investigator that has an ability they can use once each day really just means once per turn as it's possible to have more than 1 turn in a day, especially if under 4 investigators.