It started with a GAME JAM. [Negative Nimbus]

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by CloudKid, Nov 8, 2012.

1. CloudKid

CloudKid Active Member

2. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Really nice art. You should change your icon, way too negative.

JC

3. henr1kk

henr1kk Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Independent Game Designer and Developer
    Porto, Portugal
    That's some amazing art!
    Getting this game as soon as my iPad mini arrives. :D

Could you share (here on the forum or via your DevBlog) some technical information on how you built the game (engine, framework, etc)?

4. CloudKid

CloudKid Active Member

Hey Henr1kk, glad you are digging the art style of Negative Nimbus!
    We will be posting a little bit about our programming process on the dev blog so be sure to keep an eye out, in the mean time we can tell you some basic info on the tech side of the game. All the animation and programming was handled in Adobe Flash. We then exported sprite sheets for all the artwork and used AIR to port to iOS. Thanks for playing!
    -CloudKid

5. jlauener

jlauener Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Awesome art style! Also checked the trailer and I have to say it's very well animated :)

I agree with Ovogame, icon is too negative even for a game called 'Negative Nimbus'.

6. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Yeah, I'm surprised CloudKid didn't commented on this. May he though I was just being mean :)

CloudKid, your icon is your most important friend. You need to make it so it looks like the game is better than it is really. Here it is the opposite (at least graphically) it is letting you down.

Just trying to help.

JC

7. wearepinata

wearepinata Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    iOS Game development
    Adelaide
    Yeah, wow, amazing artwork! I'm off to download that game right now :) Out of curiosity, did the entire production of the game take the whole time from August 2011 to now? Also, how many people did you have in your dev team?

8. CSE_Dave

CSE_Dave Member

Nov 8, 2012
    I really like the visual style you have going here, though I agree with the mentions above, compared to everything else, the cloud looks overly sad, but beyond that, I love the look.

9. CloudKid

CloudKid Active Member

Thanks!

Thanks for all the feedback! Our goal with the icon we used was to feature Nimbus in a simple design. We hoped that his sad face would be more funny than Negative, but maybe we were not completely successful so it's something we will definitely consider changing.

Wearepinata - Yup, Negative Nimbus has been in development since our very first game jam but it has always been our personal little "project on the side". Something we have worked on a few weeks here and a few weeks there between other projects and games as well.

We have any where between 8-10 CloudKids between artists and programmers depending on what projects we are working on at the time.
    Nimbus is our first iOS game and we've learned so much from it and continue to do so!

-CloudKids

10. CloudKid

CloudKid Active Member

Game Design and Comic Design

Check out our latest Dev blog post to get a little more insight on the game design process of Negative Nimbus!
    negativenimbus- game design process

Also be sure to check out artist Nathalie Magri's blog for a sweet inside look at the different stages of the Negative Nimbus comics in developement.

-CloudKid Crew

11. CloudKid

CloudKid Active Member

Programming

A few people had some technical questions about the making of Negative Nimbus. Well the link below will take you to our latest dev blog post about the process of our programming. Enjoy!

NegativeNimbus - programming process

12. CloudKid

CloudKid Active Member

Happy Holidays from Nimbus!

[​IMG]
    Big news in the world of Negative Nimbus. We recently launched an Android version of the game on the Amazon Market Place and Google Play, as well as launching a Lite version for iOS, AND an updated holiday level!
    We also have a great Nimbus weather app in development with all new comics to be released in the New Year.

Happy holidays from CloudKid!

Buy