Word Ace: Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by selfawaregames, Jul 27, 2009.

1. selfawaregames

selfawaregames Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    Making games. Really, did you have to ask?
    Redwood City, CA
    #1 selfawaregames, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
    We'd been keeping it a secret, but it looks like the cat is out of the bag. :)

More information will probably land tomorrow, in the form of a press-release-type thing. But this is what we've been working on for the last few months, while also getting the Taxiball updates out. Totally different than Taxiball, as you can tell. Will post more info when I can!

Cheers!
    seppo

2. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I read the blog, and while I am not sure all of what the guy was talking about, I'm sure that the game is gonna be great!

I'll be looking out for it. Hopefully will have a vid of game play? (hint, hint) seems that more and more people are wanting to see how games are played prior to getting them.

3. [​IMG]

What you are talking about. I have no idea.

But I trust you guys. Taxiball is awesome, and if Penny Arcade are already writing about it (whatever it is -- sounds like some Starcraft type shi...stuff) then it must be even more awesome...er. And if it has to do with words and stuff then I'm all for it, 'cos I'm all wordy 'n stuff.

4. selfawaregames

May 20, 2009
    Redwood City, CA
    We'll definitely be putting up a video. Looks like the first batch of screenshots goes out tomorrow, so I'll throw 'em up here, as well. We'll have a video by the end of the week, for sure. :)

seppo

5. selfawaregames

May 20, 2009
    Redwood City, CA
    Haha. Oops. Didn't realize it had linked to the comic. Check the newspost instead (I fixed the above link). Should give you a better idea of what the game's about...

6. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Wait... what? :eek:

7. Ah-ha! That is much more illuminating. So ... Texas Hold 'em but with letters for cards and a requirement to spell words. It sounds ... inscrutable. But then I've never herd of Quiddler either, so the concept is foreign to me. However, I'm thinking some sort of highest scoring word winds the hand or something.

I am intrigued.

8. selfawaregames

May 20, 2009
    Redwood City, CA
    Word Ace is OUT NOW on the Palm Pre! While that may not be all that interesting to most of the people here... it will be soon!

:)

See more info at http://www.selfawaregames.com/blog

Woohoooooo!!!
    seppo

9. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Ian will love this game I think.....

10. selfawaregames

May 20, 2009
    Redwood City, CA
    Best response ever!

11. Thank you. Thank you very much.

12. selfawaregames

May 20, 2009
    Redwood City, CA
    "Elvis," for the record, is one of our engineers. :D I'm the guy with the headphones in the upper left.

Heh!
    seppo

13. selfawaregames

May 20, 2009
    Redwood City, CA
    LOL.

I'm an idiot. I only just this second made the Bubba connection.

*facepalm*

Now it's the EVEN BEST-ER response EVER-ER.

seppo

14. Ha! Yeah, I did wonder where you were going with that followup response and was afraid anything I might have said to it would have illuminated my own brain fart in figuring out what connection it was you were making.

Was that arrangement of HOTEP intentional?

15. swigo8

swigo8 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Pocket God island (NYC)
    this looks/sounds awesome! cant wait for its release, its gonna be a must-buy for me

16. selfawaregames

May 20, 2009
    Redwood City, CA
    No, not at all - which is why I'd assumed you were talking about some superficial resemblance to Dan. But more, it was just that the image was AWESOME.

When I saw it this morning, the Ho-tep jumped out at me, and I was like, AH. *bonks head on table*.

:D
    seppo

17. selfawaregames

May 20, 2009
    Redwood City, CA
    While you'll be able to pay for it if you want, you'll also be able to NOT pay for it unless you want to. :)

seppo

18. selfawaregames

May 20, 2009
    Redwood City, CA
    [​IMG]

So, now that the game's out on the Pre, I figure I can talk about some stuff we'd been trying to keep under wraps 'till the launch (since obviously, anyone who'd really want to steal the ideas can now see the whole game on the Pre).

One thing that is one of the best things in Word Ace, IMO, is what we're doing to let you interact with the people you're playing against.

While text chat in-game is pretty standard, and the minimum you can do to enable some sort of social interaction, one of the other big features of the game are "emotes" - when you set up your profile, you set it up with 3 pictures instead of one - one happy, one normal, on sad.

In-game, when you want to emote at another player, you just touch your photo and "flick" it - up for happy, down for sad. It'll immediately switch your photo, and change the border color (gold for happy, red for sad). After a few seconds, it returns to normal.

It's a simple little thing, but makes interacting with people online so much better, it's hard to describe.

seppo