Mobile gamer no more...?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Primoz, Aug 3, 2013.

1. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    It's amazing how far things have come in just the past 10 years. Amazing. I can't wait to see what's around the corner in 20 years.

2. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Spoilsport. :p

3. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Absolutely. One of Apple's big selling points for their mobile devices is that they are entirely self-contained and don't require peripherals to operate; this is also why Apple has stated that virtual controls will be mandatory even if a developer also supports physical controllers.

4. Yeah, but this doesn't mean they won't be popular and succesful.

Plus the Apple Wireless Joystick Defense Squad will always be here to nag developers for joystick support so that the people that want to use their ipads or iphones as consoles will be happy.

I too hope you two will join our cause in the future. I know now, yes you both are joystick haterz and think ios consoles and joysticks are tech demos, but look at Ouya and Unu, they are consoles based on Android.

And finally icade seems to be getting more popular now, not so long ago it was just Adams Immersive and I chatting in the icade thread and now look how many members we have in the HDMI and iCade lovers defense squad.

I think the future is bright. One day an ipad will give a console a run for its money. And until then, play Dead Trigger 2 and Asphalt 8.

Signed,
    Connector
    President of the Apple Wirelez Joystix Defense Squad!

5. Blasphemy

6. Yeah, EP should be ashamed.

7. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I fully agree with that!
    I also believe that the future of gaming IS mobile, and not on consoles.

8. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I won't argue the progression of mobile gaming, F2P Vs Premium, console Vs PC Vs iOS.
    I'll just say this, if you are more interested in 3d open world RPGs, buy a PC. The ones we have on iOS are sub par when compared to their PC counterparts. No argument here.
    That you seem to think that all 2d games are by definition "mini-games" is ridiculous. That 3d games are "bigger, better games", go to PC. Although I appreciate the new Deus Ex, X-com and the upcoming Shadowrun game, I'll be looking forward to a new game in the hook champ series just as much.
    I'll stick with the weird blend of games that come to the AppStore.
    Judging by your tastes, you should get the laptop.

9. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    #49 TheEvilRobot, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
    Agree. 20 years ago people would never have thought that in the future games would only cost $0.99.

iOS gaming is the new penny candy.
    Edit: Im not saying I play iOS games because they are cheap. I actually enjoy iOS gaming.

10. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    It's not about 2D or 3D. It's not about graphics. I was searching for a western RPG for the last two months and the results were quite shocking. You could count them on the fingers of your hand...

And I never said that 2D games are all mini-games, all I said was that those 2D mini-games (or even 3D ones) are getting more attention, even if they are cloned clones of other games...

Hell, Organ Trail is 2D and is without a doubt one of the best games on iOS.

11. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I don't get why some people want mobile to be like console/PC, the price thing isn't really valid with GMG and Steam sales. Each platform has its own strengths, make the most of them.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #52 psj3809, Aug 5, 2013
    I keep hearing buy a PC, buy a console. Thats not easy for me, if i said to my wife a couple of nights a week i'm off to play on the computer, see you later i'll probably get divorced quickly.

I know PC/console games are bigger/larger/graphically better etc, but for me mobility is just amazing when it comes to iOS gaming. Loved Aralon on my ipod, couldnt believe an epic game like that was in the palm of my hand.

iOS offers a huge variety of games, many original, many retro classics, many games based on older game ideas which some youngsters dont realise.

I would love more RPG's, i LOVE 9th Dawn. For me games dont have to have stunning graphics or music (Like lots of console games), its all about the playability. I have lots of remakes of classics on my iphone which stand the test of time, a fair few console games you wont remember in 5 years let alone 20 years.

And granted there is a lot of 'rubbish' on iOS just because there are soooo many games. But i've been gaming for 30 years and i'm stunned how many great games there are on iOS, the variety is amazing, and all in the palm of your hand. And best of all they're SOOOO cheap, still cant believe its a dollar or two for a lot of great games. I hope people realise how lucky they really are, incredible time for gaming at the moment.

I know many/most iOS games arent 'console quality' but that doesnt bother me. I've seen the improvements of mobile gaming for years and its the best its ever been. People have to stop comparing iOS - consoles, they're different, just enjoy it for what it is. Incredible games at an amazing price. No wonder Sony/Nintendo are totally panicking as more and more people are flocking to iOS devices for gaming.

13. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    #53 Gov, Aug 5, 2013
    Wait until 2014, smartphones/tablets will start shipping with 64-bit chipsets. PC power in your hands = better games graphically & performance wise. ARMV8 architecture processors > Cortex-A57 will have three times better performance that current high end chips. The A53 will be less powerful, but uses quarter the power than current chips.

All processors in the Cortex-A50 line will feature ARM's Mali GPU on board. So backwards compatible with 32-bit systems.

Read: http://m.pocketnow.com/2012/12/06/why-we-need-64-bit

14. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    This got kinda off-topic. My point was that mobile gaming has no future (for me) if it continues to go on like that. No matter how great the hardware will be, because large-scale open world games simply don't pay of to make.

It's great that some people like a variety of games, however I'm not one of those. I enjoy RPG and FPS games. It gets even pickier: no on-rail games and no turn-based games. Also no JRPGs or KRPGs and such. With this "filter" there are only a handful of games on the AppStore. Of course I enjoy some other original games too, but that doesn't happen often (unfortunately).

I'm not saying that iOS should be compared to the console and PC, all I'm saying is that iOS lacks of those (see above) games.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think posting stuff like 'mobile gaming has no future' is quite bold !! I totally dont agree with that, its huge at the moment, perhaps at its peak. If Apple keep producing faster devices then i can see iOS combined with new joysticks/Apple TV taking over from consoles eventually.

Reminds me of the 80's when computer games were way way behind the arcades, arcades started dying out however when consoles/computers caught up graphically etc. At some point iOS will get more and more powerful and really challenge consoles (not for a while yet). The pricing point of iOS has already got people thinking differently and not wanting to spend a fortune on console game prices

But 'mobile gaming has no future' - Totally dont agree with that one bit.

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I never said iOS gaming has no future, if I'm who you're referring to. I simply said that F2P is the future of mobile gaming. There's too much money in it, and the AppStore economy is simply too cheap and oversaturated for successful, original premium games anymore. Epic, EA, Gameloft, Madfinger, Glu, Chillingo, they all realize this and will slowly test the waters until that sweet spot is found between profit and paywalls.

17. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Money will always rule the way things go. It's the reason why most music is crappy and repetitive these days, it's the reason why movies have a bunch of things exploding and no depth. And it's also the reason why F2P is the future for mobile gaming. Money. There's no way around it, if you're a hardcore gamer, go PC or console.

18. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    After six pages of pointless off-topic discussion, finally a good advice.

Thank you.

19. Or plastic. But yeah, if one is really a true hardline gamer then of course a pc or console is better for the top end games. I too would agree on this.

20. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    F2P is working its way into console and PC as well. It's a part f the future for every platform, but I don't think it is the future. Most F2P attempts are failures. It's just trendy right now. A few companies are making a ton of money and most people who try it are making the same as most people who try to sell premium games, nothing. I think freemium may have already peaked and may be on the decline. One way or another there are companies who continue to embrace traditional pricing, like Spiderweb software, who has said they have done fine for years using the same pricing model and continue to do so today. There are developers who try freemium, see it fail miserably for them, and go back to premium, like Radiangames. And finally games are, or should be, works of art. I think there will always be true artists, more concerned with creating something beautiful than trying to build a game around an exploitative monetization model.