Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-30-2014, 09:08 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx99 View Post
A bit like Patapon, perhaps?
It's like Patapon met Advance Wars and had a love child. Yes.

-Trevor
Old 04-30-2014, 10:32 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellos View Post
It's like Patapon met Advance Wars and had a love child. Yes.

-Trevor
Sounds awesome.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:16 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Alright, so I picked it up and just finished getting all the gold medals on world 2.

Overall, it's a lot of fun but I do have a few issues.

The drum is a little unforgiving. I'm not having as bad of a time as Sanuku's, but it's really frustrating to miss a beat that didn't feel missed. Maybe loosen how precise you need to be on beat? Alternately, allow players to change the speed of the beat (maybe two or three settings).

The visual and audio clues are both confusing. The extra drumbeats when you're comboing make it much more difficult for me to hear the beat. I'm one who favors a visual clue (I watch the gems in Rock Band more than I listen to the beat). I dislike that the visual clues (the circles on top and the flashing border) disappear once I'm comboing. It makes the game really hard for somebody like me who keeps rhythm visually better than aurally. Maybe keep the border flash or add another visual indicator (e.g., make the trees pulse to the beat).

Another problem is that it is definitely more of a puzzle than a strategy game. There is an optimum solution for every level and that's the only way to get the timer badge necessary for a gold medal. That's not inherently a problem, but it was pretty disappointing after your Advance Wars comparison. You could make major changes to the game to make it more strategic, but it's probably easier just to leave the gameplay as is and avoid Advance Wars comparisons. Either way, please make it clear what my timer goal is and how close I am to it. Maybe call it something like "Par: 10 moves" instead of a timer to make it more clear. You could keep a count of the number of moves/measures in a corner of the screen and turn it red when you've taken too many turns.

Finally, I can't figure out how to go straight to a sub-level. I don't want to replay four levels I've already gotten a gold medal on just to get to level 2-5.

Anyway, back to the game for world 3. It really is fun, just a bit different than I was expecting, even after watching Several minutes of Sanuku's gameplay video.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:45 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Playing more. I absolutely cannot figure out how to get the timer on 5-2. I've beaten it as perfect as I can figure twice. Tips?

I'll take back what I said about the timing being too unforgiving. It eventually clicks and there's no problem at all. I still think a visual indication of the beat would be nice.

A minor niggle, but 4 measures of getting ready is a lot once you're already playing. Maybe just for the first time you play the first level in each world? After that, two measures (one of "Get Ready" and one for the countdown) would be perfect. It works nicely because your game keeps the beat between levels and throughout menus, which is definitely a cool touch.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:33 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx99 View Post
Alright, so I picked it up and just finished getting all the gold medals on world 2.

Overall, it's a lot of fun but I do have a few issues.

The drum is a little unforgiving. I'm not having as bad of a time as Sanuku's, but it's really frustrating to miss a beat that didn't feel missed. Maybe loosen how precise you need to be on beat? Alternately, allow players to change the speed of the beat (maybe two or three settings).

The visual and audio clues are both confusing. The extra drumbeats when you're comboing make it much more difficult for me to hear the beat. I'm one who favors a visual clue (I watch the gems in Rock Band more than I listen to the beat). I dislike that the visual clues (the circles on top and the flashing border) disappear once I'm comboing. It makes the game really hard for somebody like me who keeps rhythm visually better than aurally. Maybe keep the border flash or add another visual indicator (e.g., make the trees pulse to the beat).

Another problem is that it is definitely more of a puzzle than a strategy game. There is an optimum solution for every level and that's the only way to get the timer badge necessary for a gold medal. That's not inherently a problem, but it was pretty disappointing after your Advance Wars comparison. You could make major changes to the game to make it more strategic, but it's probably easier just to leave the gameplay as is and avoid Advance Wars comparisons. Either way, please make it clear what my timer goal is and how close I am to it. Maybe call it something like "Par: 10 moves" instead of a timer to make it more clear. You could keep a count of the number of moves/measures in a corner of the screen and turn it red when you've taken too many turns.

Finally, I can't figure out how to go straight to a sub-level. I don't want to replay four levels I've already gotten a gold medal on just to get to level 2-5.

Anyway, back to the game for world 3. It really is fun, just a bit different than I was expecting, even after watching Several minutes of Sanuku's gameplay video.
Hi xx99,

Thanks for your really in depth thoughts.

That's interesting you want the beat HUD up top to stay up there. After a lot of playtesting, the response was it was sort of distracting. But I imagine you are not the only one who wants it up there. Or wants the screen to keep pulsing. I could maybe make it an option in an update?

I could see how it's more puzzle than strategy. That's true. I sort of liked the consonance between Rhythm and RTS. Maybe it could be a Pulsing Puzzler? Ha!

Too much Get Ready is something I struggled with. I could shorten it. It should be 2 measures of get ready, plus a measure of countdown, plus whatever remained of the measure before.

It's a really different type of rhythm game. I struggle with explaining it because it's not close to most things out there. I guess the main way to find out is to play it.

-Trevor
Old 05-01-2014, 04:31 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up