Universal ORC: Vengeance - (by Chillingo Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Re: circle and zigzag gestures. These have been greatly improved... but I suspect anyone that doesn't like doing the gestures will just switch to the virtual controls.

We wanted to "push the envelope" with the touch controls. In retrospect, we should have just offered both :) .. however, the update will take care of that.

Re: beta testers. Sure, we can always use another, just visit the contact page at www.bigcavegames.com (that's the easiest way)

2. o0oJAKEo0o

o0oJAKEo0o Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    Really wish they would make an iPhone version of Bastion. It is an amazing game! I played through like five times on the Xbox arcade version.

3. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    The only thing holding me back from getting this was the controls... Now that I see more options will be added... BOUGHT!

4. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Will we be able to use the gestures in combination with the thumb stick for movement? I really like the gestures, but the tap to move controls are made frustrating thanks to the lack of hold to move (the abiity to slide the finger and change movement direction without additional taps).

Only being able to choose either thumb stick + buttons or the current control scheme would represent a compromise between two non-ideal systems for me, and be a wasted opportunity. Though, ideally, I'd see hold to move implemented in the current control scheme as well (eliminating the need for the thumb stick and the new controls for some of us).

They might, depending on the sales of the iPad version. They se no absolute technical limitations to porting Bastion to iPhone.

5. I like the intro! Too cool, and waiting for the update so I can play with virtua controls! Too cool.

6. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Hallelujah for the new control options! Screenshots look pretty cool too.

7. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I really enjoyed this game when was out and now that IB Dungeons is postponed i think i m gonna give another shot to this to try the new control scene and the new dungeons... I don't know if this has been answered but the iCloud file will bring back all my progress (weapons etc) or i have to play the whole stuff from scratch after reinstall?

8. Assuming you didn't nuke your iCloud saves, you should be fine. Look in Settings, iCloud etc to see if the Orc saves are still there.

9. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Yes is still there!!! Thanks for answer, cannot wait for the update! Great work guys!

10. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #370 Sheinfell, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
    Game Controls

After picking this up yesterday and playing for a few hours I have to say I actually like the "tap to move, do gestures" interface, and prefer it to thumbstick.
    The main reason is that I suffer from RSI, and playing with a thumbstick and buttons I tend to cramp my hands and lower arms, thus making it worse.
    With the tap/gesture controls, I can play with one hand while resting my iPad comfortably, e.g. on my table or bed. This considerably reduces stress on my hands and lower arms.

Buttons for the skills might be a good addition, though.
    What I would like to see is that you can mix freely: "Tap to move" with buttons, thumbstick with gestures.

Gestures:
    The only one I do not like is the circle, because that one is rather hard to get correctly at the moment.
    If the developers read here: May I suggest to replace the circle with an "open at the bottom rectangle"? The swipe would then be "up, right, down" .

And at least one more skill slot would be nice as well.
    A "V" shape could be used as gesture, as it is rather distinctive and easy to draw.

As for the game itself:
    The story so far is well-told (but nothing too original; well, guess I've seen everything already ;) ) , the environment nicely done, sufficiently gloomy, and - a big bonus in my book - with a good eye for detail (e.g. the wheel on a wrecked cart still spinning slightly) .
    Gameplay is good and consistent, difficulty so far goes from easy (most standard monsters) via slightly challenging (some monsters) to moderately challenging (bosses) .

EDIT: Update on the gestures: Does anyone know how to do the "zigzag" gesture? So far I cannot get it to work with what I tried. But then I might not have the gesture down correctly.

11. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    the game looks great and actually i like tap and gesture controls. but it's not only what makes games good. the fact that you can change them ingame makes the whole system of slots useless. locations are quite ok and like controls it's nicely done. the biggest flaw is that there is basically no any fantasy involved in making monsters and fights. the whole game is just getting to some place, getting locked and fighting waves of meh enemies. well, from point of engine and controls it's good game but like a game it's just too boring and shallow.

12. alewian

alewian Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Spain
    do you mean "magmar fortress"? i can not find it. i just find a war club in this mission

13. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Updated Impressions

So I just finished the game and thought I'd post some more feedback...

Difficulty: Way too easy, even the main antagonist (aka "end boss") was not really a challenge. Will see what the update brings with the additional difficulty levels.

Controls: As I wrote before, I really like the "tap to move" control. And yes, the walking speed is too slow: But Andrew already addressed this in his update notice:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2494522&postcount=354
    For me at least, the circle and zigzag gestures were completely useless, because they are too tedious to do correctly (I never got the zigzag to work), even more so in the heat of battle. How about replacing those with easier gestures, e.g. "V" or "A" without the middle stroke?

As others already said, buttons for the potions would be very helpful, especially when they are independent of the interface you use (touch or upcoming dpad) . Currently, on the few occasions were I had to use potions, it was much easier to just open the menu and use what you need.

"Evil Overlord Laugh (TM)": Oh please, was that really neccessary? When I first encountered the main antagonist the "EOL" made me grin, because it is so cliche that it was funny...once. Afterwards it was more like "They cannot be serious, that is *too* cliche". Not easily done, I know, but consider replacing it with something more original, or just drop it completely.

Some notes for other players:
    I do not see any need to ever raise the "Greed" stat. After the initial gold shortage (nothing new under the sun...) , gold was a non-issue for me. However, note that I did not upgrade every skill (which does not seem to be neccessary, as skills phase out of usefulness and get replaced by better ones), focusing on those I currently used instead.
    Do not forget the skill&equipment upgrading. It helps alot over the course of the game.
    Buying equipment in the store is almost never needed, it seems. You can go by very well with what you find, and keep upgrading it until you run into something better.

14. gtcharlie

gtcharlie Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008

Just finished the game and feel these comments are pretty much spot on. I usually do not like the touch and gesture type control system but in this game I felt they worked pretty darn well. Nice to not clutter the screen with numberous buttons and joysticks. Not saying it couldn't be improved upon somewhat and like they are addressing peoples concerns in the update.

Definitely on the easy side. Once again with the update it sounds like that will be fixed as well.

My only real gripe with the game is a certain repetitiveness to the gameplay. Not that it is uncommon in this type of game. Just wished for more variety of creatures and challenges.

Next update give me a sorcerer type character and I will be happy to play through again.

15. alewian

alewian Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Spain
    do you have found the "big cave club"?

16. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Yes. I got it from a box (cannot remember where, though), and also saw it in the store.

17. gtcharlie

Dec 30, 2008
    Could you be more specific where I go to check if I have iCloud saves on my iPad? Do I need to enable it somewhere in the game or does it so it automatically? I have finished the game and would like to delete it until the update comes along to free up some space but do not want to have to start the game over again. Thanks.

18. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Settings ---> iCloud --> Storage and Backup --> Manage Storage --> Show All (under documents and data)

My Orc Vengeance game is about 8 kb.

19. gtcharlie

Dec 30, 2008
    Thanks much. It is there and is 8kb like you said. So glad game developers do this. Deleting until the update will clear up some much needed space.

20. tjb

tjb Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Need more Orc.