Coldfire Keep: First-Person RPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by geppetto, Feb 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Old-school RPGs like "Dungeon Master" are:

1. Awesome, I can't get enough of them!

167 vote(s)
    61.6%
  2. Alright, I can take them or leave them.

63 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. Dead, modern RPGs are far better.

37 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. Who cares; all RPGs suck.

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    qft.

2. stevejarman

stevejarman Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Well, those buttons are SECRET buttons :)

You're not supposed to be able to find them all that easily, and they're completely optional. They're also a lot clearer when you're actually playing - as opposed to in the video. Also, once you know what to look for it's pretty easy to spot them.

3. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    If it's easy to spot them then what's the point of having them be "secret"?

I just don't understand this kind of game mechanism.

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Is there anything more definitive you can say about the possibility of a iPod/iPhone/Universal build?

5. stevejarman

Feb 13, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Nothing definite, but it's pretty much going to happen. All my builds are Universal and at least half my play testing is on my iPhone. RPGs just tend to have a lot of text and numbers all over the screen so it just becomes tricky sometimes to make it as clear and playable vs. the iPad version. Working on it all though.

6. stevejarman

Feb 13, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Just to clear up any confusion, I just noticed that I'm posting as "stevejarman" on my iPhone. The Geppetto Games label is pretty much a thing of past now, so "geppetto", "stevejarman" - same thing. Same guy.

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Cool! Thank you!

8. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011

Well, I hope it's as least as clear as Legend of Grimrock. I don't mind puzzles, but I think we can all agree that randomly clicking a wall or looking at every wall just to find the magic hotspot is not good game play. Something should be odd about the location for sure.

9. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Or give people a mode where all of the "secret" spots are highlighted in red. Then people can choose whether they like the "search for the spot" mechanism, or not.

10. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Or maybe just paint an arrow on the wall pointing to the secret switch?

11. the9quad

Apr 27, 2011
    That's funny. But seriously when the secrets are just some arbritary brick that looks like every other brick, is what I'm talking about. Does any one really want to play brick click simulator 2013? I'll buy this game when it comes out, and I am not knocking it, just saying my opinion based off the video.

12. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Sure. Just highlighting seems easier and a bit less distracting, though.

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    So nobody here has heard of clues? :p

14. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    The secret switches looked fine to me. About the the right degree of prominence. I am someone who used to strafe along the wall of every new area in Dungeon Master, et al though, to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Game is looking promising. Only criticism that occurred, is environments look a bit sterile and too symmetrically realised. I think if the place "breathed" a little more it would add to the atmosphere.

When is the game due out?

15. stevejarman

Feb 13, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Agreed. I think that strafing the walls in search of secrets is part of the gameplay on this specific type of RPG. The game would be incomplete without it.

Can you elaborate on this a little more? Genuinely interested in that sort of feedback.

Soon. Maybe a month or so. It's always very hard for me to put a pin in a release date as I do this stuff part-time, but it's getting very close now.

16. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    There are lots of people who will never play a game where you have to do that. Good to think carefully before you narrow your potential audience too much.

17. stevejarman

Feb 13, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    One more time-lapse from this morning's work. I think I'm done with these now. The novelty has worn off :)

18. agentblank

agentblank Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    All rpgs suck? Only trolls would pick that.

19. the9quad

Apr 27, 2011

Maybe it's the low res on the ipad2, it just looked like he clicked two random spots that looked exactly like the other spots. That's why I asked. If there is something different about those spots cool, that's what the games are about, I agree. I was just worried about having to click every brick, lol.

20. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Yeah i remember especially with Eye Of the Beholder 2 having to strafe the walls top to bottom in some of the dungeons looking for switches and secret walls it was brilliant when you found them though.There was even a device you could find or buy to see through some walls in Captive.The hard part i would imagine with this game is getting the difficulty just right,i prefer harder rather than easy but that could be tricky in todays market.