Support our Sponsors:

Old 04-22-2013, 10:03 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
Some interesting perspectives. Although mostly I was thinking there are at least 7 really old gaming people here on TA. I hate getting funny looks by gray hairs when I'm talking with young adults, teens, and kids about video games. It's like I was supposed to grow up, but I never did. I'm always glad to know there are other hardcore gamers that have been around for many, many years.

Although I really, really like the ability to save pretty frequently, and not always have to start at the beginning of a game.
You know of the 7 sages? BURN THIS MAN!

I'm still under my mid-thirties mathematically, and don't anyone say otherwise!
50 states existed when I was born...and the president of the US was from the state of Georgia. I think that's enough info .

I just wanted to clarify something about the crash, going back to the first post. It wasn't just the quality or lack therof of the games. It coincided with the wide adoptiom of affordable home computers, and the crash DID NOT include "computer" games; in fact is was the opposite.

Why buy a new Atari/Colecovision etc. when for the same price you could get a Commodore (in my case), play better games at lower prices, and, if you had the need, be able to do...you know, computer stuff?

The crash didn't last long either. As a child it felt long, but the NES took off big in just a few years.

It was a CONSOLE gaming crash. I would love to see a much worse crash personally. I'll get to the reasons why at a later time; I'm supposed to be beta-testing a music app.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:29 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
Well - when I was born, we only had 48 states. So - pretty old. .
So prior to 1959. Well, that's cool. You got to evaluate pretty much the whole gaming phenomenon as an adult. Did you have a Magnavox Oddyssey?
Old 04-22-2013, 11:07 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

@greyskull - I think you are right in many ways. I remember evaluating every IBM clone, or processing chip with -"will it run MS Flight Simulator"? If it did, you were safe, if not - prepare for errors.

@smegly - no Magnavox - I had a TI 99. Then pretty much just PC gaming until I got a SNES. PC gaming was really great with Wizadry, Infocom, MS Flight Simulator, Kings Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Doom, etc, etc. but, the console controllers are hard to beat, so got various handhelds, Playstation, most Nintendo offerings, Xbox, and now the more recent consoles. It's been a fun ride... My kids are all gamers, and up til recently I could generally beat them. My middle son is a beast though - he can beat the old SNES platformers like Ghosts and Goblins.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:00 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

There have been a number of well-written articles comparing modern gaming with the stuff that went down in the early 80s, and while there are enough similarities to make the comparison, there are also a good number of reasons why another crash can't happen. One of those is the evolution of business models. We've been through reasonably priced premium apps, the surge of lite apps, ad-supported free apps, all sorts of free-to-play/freemium models... whatever the market demands, developers are able to build their games accordingly. It means devs who can't keep up tend to fall by the wayside, but it also ensures a steady stream of income into the business as a whole. People are spending more on games than they ever have done, and this is in spite of the various recessions and financial troubles countries are struggling with around the world.

Plus, as previously mentioned, gaming isn't a single market. If one did somehow manage to crash, there would still be others.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:31 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

I cant see a crash, like Midian says people are spending more money on games than ever before. iOS gaming is eating away at console gaming as kids dont like spending $40 or so dollars on a single game when in a weeks time they then try and exchange it for something else

iOS gaming is so cheap IF there is a crash then iOS gaming will benefit as more and more people will flock to iOS.

I do worry however about the amount of freemium, i personally think too many people dont buy games on release and instead wait for price drops or games to go free, crazy when games are a dollar or two.

Do think people expect WAY too much from a 99c game though, moaning about they completed the game in 8 hours, moaning theres no game centre, moaning theres only been 2 updates etc from their 99c purchase!