[SUBMITTED] Monkeys in Space: Escape to Banana Base Alpha!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by OTrain13, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OTrain13

OTrain13 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Co-founder, Milkbag Games
    Canada
    #1 OTrain13, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
    Hi guys!

I'm in the final stretches of working on my newest game, Monkeys in Space: Escape to Banana Base Alpha! I thought you guys would like to see a little bit of the game before its release:

This is an important message from the Monkey Space Force:

Every day, hundreds of monkeys float helplessly in space. Who will save them? Will it be YOU?

If you think you're brave enough, you might be the right one for the job!

Take control of monkeys floating around in space and direct them to the Banana Stations! Touch a monkey and drag out a tractor beam to direct the monkey. Chain monkeys together into massive chains to score huge bonus points!

Check out the screen shots below!

My play testers love the game so far. A few of them are repeatedly battling it out for top score in the leaderboards. The game's really coming together and I find myself playing it when I should be working on it. It's always a good problem to have when you can't stop playing your own game. ;)

My plan is to submit to Apple in the next few weeks. Stay tuned for more videos and information about the game! If you have any questions, let me know.

UPDATE (Nov 9, 2009): The game has been submitted to Apple! I have posted a bunch of new screenshots below at Post #7!

UPDATE (Nov 16, 2009): I've added the official gameplay trailer! I've also started a Contest thread which has details on how you can win Monkeys in Space T-Shirts, iTunes Gift Cards, promo codes, and more! See the contest thread for full details!

Owen

Official Gameplay Trailer:

Attached Files:

2. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    yup, this game is definitely good and really has a good "one more time" factor going for it

3. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    Thanks Devilishly Good! I'm glad you're enjoying testing the game. :)

Owen

4. Fudgeboy

Fudgeboy Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Student
    UK
    i agree, i love testing this game. im not good enough to top the leaderboards yet though :(. ill keep trying though i guess :D. this game is definitely one to watch when it comes out.

5. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    Thanks, Fudgeboy! I think so too... ;)

6. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    Some of you have been following my video blog posts chronicling the creation of Monkeys in Space. In today's episode I showed some gameplay footage publicly for the first time. If you want to see the game in action, check it out:

Owen

7. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    Great news! I submitted Monkeys in Space: Escape to Banana Base Alpha to Apple this morning. Which means that if all goes well, the game with the cutest space monkeys on the App Store should be availble in about two weeks! :D

To celebrate, I thought I'd post a few new screenshots of the game for your viewing pleasure.

Screen_01.jpg

Screen_02.jpg

Screen_03.jpg

Screen_04.jpg

Screen_05.jpg

I also hope to have a gameplay video up in the next 2-3 days, so keep your eyes peeled!

Owen

8. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    OMG this is really bad news. So far, my addiction was limited by the fact that the game is only on Keith's phone, so he takes it away from me when he needs to work. I spent about 2 hours this morning trying to beat his high score (fail).

Although this is really really terrible and awful news, I'm very excited to get this on my own phone. So long, productivity...

9. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Hopefully Keith is actually "working" and hasn't taken the phone away so he can play the game :p.

10. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    #10 Little White Bear Studios, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
    I have been testing Monkeys in Space for quite awhile now, and it's definitely a must buy! The art and the music shows an attention to detail that is sorely missing in a lot of games. The game will keep you coming back, as beating somebody else's score is addictive! And who doesn't love monkeys?!! And space?!!

11. pbhogan

pbhogan Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Game Developer
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Looks really great Owen. Looking forward to seeing it approved!

12. Congratulations on submitting Owen!

I've thoroughly enjoyed testing Monkeys in Space, and each iteration of testing has lead to a better, tighter, more fun game. The basic mechanics of the game, when combined with the scoring system provide something that's immediately accessible yet difficult to master.

Yes, this game keeps you coming back just to get your spot on the leader boards back. Great Fun!

13. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Cool to see some devs testing it. Good luck:)

14. TIMELESS

TIMELESS Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    I am waiting on this game too.

15. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    The game is too cool with such a seemingly simple concept.

Draw paths (not really drawing a path as much as locking on the laser straight tractor beam) from monkeys to their appropriately colored base without allowing non-tractor beamed simians to bump into one another or those being beamed in. You can also use the beam from a monkey to just a random point in space if you want to change the monkey's trajectory.

But that is only at its most simple level, the real strategy for big points is to link (tractor beaming a monkey to another same colored monkey) as many same colored monkeys as possible before heading into the station. A single monkey in the base is 1 point but tractor beam in a chain of two guys and you'll score 1 and then 2 points on the second guy (a third would have been 3, and so on).

The game comes with three maps and you'll need to prove your prowess to unlock the 2nd and 3rd maps. The later maps throw in cool twists like dealing with a planet's gravitational pull or avoiding asteroids.

I love how the game's biggest challenge comes from YOUR OWN GREED. If you just linked in single monkeys at a time you could play for quite a while but would never make diddly for points. Link too many monkeys, however, and you're an accident waiting to happen!

As I told Owen when I first joined in on the porject, it feels a bit like the classic "Barrel of Monkeys" game from Milton Bradley...in space! :cool:

16. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    Thanks, everyone! I'm really looking forward to getting the game out there so everyone can play! :D

Thanks for the game breakdown, LordGek! Great description of the game.

Owen

17. Intruder_qcc

Intruder_qcc Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Senior Analyst-programmer
    St-Hubert (Quebec), Canada
    I had the chance to also beta test this great upcoming game!

It was sure a lot of fun and the great thing is that is that its the first time I could get my wife into trying video games and having fun. She ask me several for my iPod touch so she can play it ;-).

Ohhh and if she keep playing she will even beat my own hiscore yikes and its me the supposedly big gamer in the house.

@Little White Bear & @KShep you think you are fine with your hiscore... but beware I am just below you and closing in... Me and my wife will take our rightfull place in the leaderboard :p

Thanks for Owen for making such a fun games and a big complaint for making it damn addictive (OpenFeint leaderbord/achievement is like a drug) so I will loose some productivity and loose my only iPod touch for development as my wife will take it away from me! :D:p

18. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Any new gameplay video? :D

19. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    Soon! :D I'm working on it, but I seem to have come down with the flu too. It's making things a bit slower going than normal. ;)

Owen

20. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    Hi guys:

For those of you anxious for more details on the game, I've just launched the Official Gameplay Trailer. You can watch it right here:

I also have even MORE exciting news! I've kicked off the first Monkeys in Space Diorama Contest! The contest has great prizes including: Monkeys in Space T-Shirts, iTunes Gift Cards, promo codes, and more! Check out the Official Contest Thread for full details.

Owen