First Touch Football - by X2 (Coming this month)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kingofkings8183, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingofkings8183

kingofkings8183 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    #1 kingofkings8183, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
    The last time Exient took to the pitch on iPhone, X2 Football 2010 did the studio much credit.

More so than anything else, it was one of the few football sims that mastered the inevitable difficulties that arise from touchscreen controls.

How? It simply slowed down the pace of play, serving up a playground fit for the masters of the game as a result. You could say it was the day that football on iPhone finally grew up.

A match or two on First Touch Soccer suggests Exient has taken another major step forward, albeit this time on a largely visual basis.

It's a looker

Such praise is not only reserved for the game's graphics, which genuinely make scores of its rivals look positively last generation, but also the general level of sheen Exient has brought to First Touch Soccer from kick-off to final whistle.

From the menus to the music, and from the replays to the Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube integration – it all smacks of a series that's been designed to lead the way and tread virgin ground for the genre as a whole.

It's an element that should never be underestimated, either. As any season ticket holder will attest to, one of the most crucial ingredients when cooking up a football fiesta is atmosphere, and First Touch Soccer delivers this in spades.

The pitch somehow feels bigger, grander, offering up the kind of splendour usually reserved for a UEFA Champions League Final. Indeed, when laid side by side with First Touch Soccer everything that's come before has all the presence of a five-a-side match down the park on a Sunday afternoon.

Controls are also handled nicely, with three pads that take charge of passing, lobbing, shooting, and tackling (naturally depending on whether you're in or out of possession) smartly mounting the bottom right corner of the screen – a set up that fits thumb play perfectly.

Team by team

Where First Touch Soccer might come unstuck is in regards to the teams it sports, and the way they play on the pitch.

Like all non-licensed releases, Exient's latest comes equipped with the likes of 'Manchester Blue' and 'London Red', though to its credit, it's less infested with wannabes than many of its rivals – Aston Villa and Tottenham make a rare appearance, for instance.

Said clubs can play out full league campaigns, as well as training matches, penalty shootouts, 'Star Player' encounters (when you take charge of just one member of the team) and, most notably, online bouts via Bluetooth or wi-fi.

First Touch Soccer also has a Dream Team mode where you're able to compile a squad populated by your favourite players and take them to league glory. An in-app purchase system is also included, where classic teams – such as England's World Cup winning squad from 1966 – can be purchased as part of packs for 59p each.

It's a set up that's as consummate as any that have come before.

The matches themselves, however, are the one area where First Touch Soccer seems to lack the same level of ambition.

Just like watching Barcelona

As in X2 Football 2010, Exient has wisely opted to tame the pace of play, but the opposition's A.I – and, more specifically, the way it reacts to your movements – upsets the Applecart a touch.

During our test, managing to gain possession of the ball was unnecessarily tricky.

The opposition seems to focus on keeping the ball as far away from you as possible – a clever tactic, no doubt, but First Touch Soccer's tackle system results in fouls aplenty.

That's because, as things stand, merely pressing your opponent seems to bear little fruit, making a full-on tackle the only way to go – challenges that are incredibly hard to time, given every team's habit of passing like Xavi, Messi, Iniesta, and co.

While this may result in a game that's simply hard to master, the risk is an endless stream of red and yellow cards, as was the case in several of our matches.

Finding the right balance in the final release will be crucial if First Touch Soccer is to see its big billing through when it hits iPhone and iPod touch later this month.

Source : Pocket Gamer

gameplay video:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    #2 steviebwoy, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
    [duplicate]

3. kileriukaslektuviukas

kileriukaslektuviukas Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Lithuania
    I would like to see from this game football players look more straight and more lively... :)

4. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    wtf damnit it looks so good ;p

5. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Yeah, player animation needs to be revamped, like FIFA 11.

6. kingofkings8183

Sep 22, 2010
    The thing I want the most is the ability to edit and transfer players among teams.that is the sole reason I'm playing gamelofts real football at the moment.

7. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

The last screenshot is my favourite - <3 BARCELONA FC.

The game looks pretty good so far. The models have definitely improved but the controls UI look quite poor. I'm looking forward to this one, a lot!

8. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Ugh LDN is Arsenal

9. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    it looks pretty much like x2 football to me...

10. kingofkings8183

Sep 22, 2010
    We can rename teams in the game thankfully.

11. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    FIFA 11 is the current App Store football champion, but this looks great from X2. Before FIFA came along, I was a big fan X2 Football 2009 and 2010, so I have every faith that First Touch will play every bit as good as it looks! And I for one can't wait to put it to the test!

12. Abi646

Abi646 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    The only thing I suggest is keepin the controls of 2010, they were amazing

13. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Will the new version include Manager Mode? This is the one crying omission from X2 in my view. Dream Team is okay, but it's a bit odd selecting your opponents each time - a proper league structure with promotions and player transfers would be much better imho Any chance?

14. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Any news on this one?

15. unbrokenchain33

unbrokenchain33 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
  16. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Doesn't look like it, does it? It looked fairly decent from the screenies, and in a pretty playable state. I wonder what the hold ups are due to...

17. strato g

strato g Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Last week, one of the game's developers said on facebook that the game was just about finished and that they were sitting at about 48 glitches remaining that needed to be ironed out. I'm not sure how long it typically takes to do that but he also said that they're aiming for an early april release.

18. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    #18 steviebwoy, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
    Ooh, that's not long away at all! :D Cheers very much for the update!

Have found their dev site now:
    http://www.teamfirsttouch.com/wp/

19. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
  20. andrade_horhe

andrade_horhe Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Looks good, the buttons are kinda ugly, maybe they will refine it by the game is out. Maybe make it so it appears when you tap.