KungPow (Coming 2/1/2011)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by phundroid, Jan 17, 2011.

1. phundroid

phundroid Active Member

Jan 13, 2011
    #1 phundroid, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
    Phundroid developing KungPow for IPhone & iPad

After a successful launch of KungPow in the Android marketplace, Phundroid is nearing the development of the expanded version for the iOS platform. It is due to be released on February 1st, 2011.

KungPow is based on the original Kung Fu Master, a popular arcade game developed in 1984. The player takes the role of Johnny, a Kung Fu champion from America. An evil Kung Fu master has kidnapped Johnny’s girlfriend Olivia, and now he must battle through five side-scrolling floors of life threatening obstacles to save her.

Johnny has the ability to punch high and low, as well as kick high, jump kick, and sweep kick. Combining these moves together with crouching and jumping will give him all of the moves he needs to succeed.

On each of the five floors you will encounter of a variety of enemies. Battle your way through knife throwers, dodge snake-filled vases, escape fire breathing dragons, and narrowly avoid exploding confetti balls. At the end of each of the first four floors is a boss which must be beat prior to advancing to the next level. The final boss is on the fifth floor, and upon defeat Olivia will be freed.

KungPow will have you reminiscent of days at the arcade with a fist full of quarters ready to be played.

Android version was released to a very positive user reviews:

“FUN GAME” by Vincent (December 18, 2010)
    “Fun” by Hodari (January 16, 2011)

KungPow will be released on Febuary 1st, 2011 as a universal app for the iPhone, iPod Touch and the iPad. It can be previewed at: (screenshots and gameplay video URL's)

[​IMG]

YouTube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SeydRNFN3o

About Phundroid

Phundroid is a young indie developer, established in 2010, which already released 3 titles for Android: Galaxia, Duck and KungPow.

Consisting of a team of talented and dedicated developers, we were eager to embrace the iOS platform by bringing KungPow to it, and with much more to come...

For more details, please visit: www.phundroid.com

Press Contact:
    Kevin Head
    [email protected]

Attached Files:

2. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Looks like a very unique side scroller. Nice job. :cool:

3. phundroid

phundroid Active Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Thanks! We are excited about bringing this to iOS. Please give us your initial thoughts/comments. Promo codes will be coming soon.

4. idragoncool

idragoncool Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Rock Musician
    Looks nice i cant wait :] lols i thought it was based on the movie xD

5. coolpowers

coolpowers Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Indie developer
    Coralville / Iowa City
    Looks like a good port of the original, which was one of my favorite arcade games. How are you handling the grabbing - shake the device? :)

6. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Nice this was one of my favorite games for the NES (Kung FU)

7. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Is the person playing an expert? They struggle to complete the 1st stage, and get owned on the 2nd stage. I gotta say, you guys have cajones to try and copy the look of an existing game so closely. And here I was thinking I cut things too close with Karate Fighter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A6DtVSrGkA).

Some feedback in case you don't get sued and are able to do an update:
    - the background music you've used is a 5 second loop; hopefully it can at least be turned off
    - the falling offscreen of enemies and player is really slow - would be better with some acceleration
    - I kind of like that you let snakes be taken out with low kicks

8. phundroid

phundroid Active Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Thats a good question. Grabbers are taken care of by quick left + right movements.

9. phundroid

phundroid Active Member

Jan 13, 2011
    The guy playing would be me :) I normally beat levels 1-3 without issue but looking through the LCD screen of a camera made it seem like I was playing for the first time.

I did a lot of research of the game...patents etc.. and spoke to several intelectual property lawyers about the game. I was given the OK but there is never any guarantee in this. I really appreciate your honest feedback.

Thanks, Kevin

10. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Glad you researched the legal components! : D

11. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Looks very close to the NES version. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for this one.

12. phundroid

phundroid Active Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Only 8 more days!

Promo codes will be coming too. ;)

13. phundroid

phundroid Active Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Thank you for the honest feedback. How could it be made better?

14. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Kung Fu Master, aka Spartan X was a groundbreaking game when it first came out. Like most classic games, it's got people that love it and people that don't. Outside of emulation, KungPow looks to be about as close as we're likely to get to an arcade pitch perfect port, and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it.

15. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    As a fan of the old NES game this is the closest i have seen in the app store. Enough reason for an instant buy.:)

16. phundroid

phundroid Active Member

Jan 13, 2011
    #16 phundroid, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
    Ready for promo codes?

First 5 people to retweet about KungPow and follow phundroid will receive a promo code. Game has already hit New Zealand and tonight the USA.

PM me with the retweet link.

http://twitter.com/phundroid