iPhone Tiki Taka Soccer - 2D retro inspired football for iPad

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by panicBarn, Oct 17, 2013.

1. panicBarn

panicBarn Active Member

Nov 2, 2012
    #1 panicBarn, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    Hello, I am developing a new football game for iPad (and Android tablets) and thought it was time I created a thread on TouchArcade.

Here's a quick summary:

What do you get if you combine a full 2D football simulation with New Star Soccer RPG style progression and incredible pixel-art? TIKI TAKA SOCCER!

Play matches, score goals, buy players, earn cash and experience, level up, progress through the leagues and aim for the pinnacle of club football.

- A control system specifically designed for tablets.
    - Gorgeous 2D pixel graphics.
    - Unique RPG style player management.

Video's help massively especially with describing how the touchscreen controls work:

Tiki Taka Soccer controls demo

And then a small teaser trailer:

Tiki Taka Soccer teaser trailer

And of course screenshots:

[​IMG]
    Lisbon Academy the location for Tiki Taka Soccer Lite

[​IMG]
    In game action

Here is a more complete description of Tiki Taka Soccer which should outline the real vision of what we are aiming for

In Tiki Taka Soccer you take on the role as player-manager taking control of a team languishing in the lower leagues.

The aim? to take your team to the top of European club football. You play the matches and also manage the team. We focus on the fun stuff - team selection, tactics and every match you earn cash (more if you win and score goals) which can be used to buy better players.

As well as earning cash each match you as the player-manager gain experience. This can be used to improve your manager abilities which then directly impact your team. An example if you improve your fitness training ability your players will recover from matches quicker.

Also at higher levels the abilities give you one-use-per-season powers. Using fitness again as an example - at later stages you gain access to the 'faith healer power' which can be used to instantly heal an injured player.

There's also a random element to each season - we generate positive and negative incidents alongside your fixtures. They fit into a number of categories (such as injuries, media, financial) and again effect you, your team or even the opposition. These will be based on the crazy world of football so imagine players doing stupid things (fireworks, drinking, gambling etc) to managers (bungs, affairs etc) and everything in between.

Ideally these incidents will be updated regularly to reflect real life situations that take place in football.

[​IMG]
    The player mananger hub

[​IMG]
    You manager screen where your abilities are displayed

So when is it coming out?

We have just completed Tiki Taka Soccer Lite. This is a free iPad download which is the first iteration of our control system.

You can play a quick match between two teams, experiment with the controls on a training pitch and see mock-up screens of the full version of Tiki Taka Soccer.

Tiki Taka Soccer Lite has passed Apple certification and will be launched alongside a Kickstarter which will hopefully help us raise the funds to produce the full version of Tiki Taka Soccer; essentially the football game we always wanted to play!

Think that's about it, thanks for reading this far!

Please like our Facebook page, this really helps.

And if you desire you can follow me on Twitter for regular updates.

[​IMG]
    Player kit concepts

2. trnZ

trnZ Active Member

May 20, 2009
    It looks awesome. Love the SWOS aesthetics ;)

3. panicBarn

panicBarn Active Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Thank's SWOS naturally a big influence!

Was lucky enough to demo and have some free QA with the public at Gamecity Nottingham.

As a result the controls are changing! (for the better)

[​IMG]

4. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    #4 steviebwoy, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    When you say that the controls use "drag to dribble", does that mean the player's runs are automated, or do you actually control the dribbling?

When's the Lite version on it's way? I love the way you've used the Sensible Soccer fonts and there's obviously a massive nod to it in the visual style too.

Have you added any 2 player support, so that two people can play against each other on the same iPad?

I think the key to a game like this is having a lot of depth in the career mode. By that I mean, have as many leagues as you can possibly fit into the game. One of the best features of SWOS was trawling through teams in obscure countries trying to find hidden gems to add to your team. Another was taking a team from the bottom of the 4th tier of English football all the way to Champions League glory, or setting the El Salvadorian 3rd Division alight and romping to the top of the 1st!

I really think this is something that you should focus on, and I'll happily help in any way I can with forming a database of players - to that end, will you be using real life data or fictional names? Please don't go down the mis-spelled route - it cheapens the experience massively.

It looks fantastic, by the way! :)

5. panicBarn

panicBarn Active Member

Nov 2, 2012
    You have full control of the players dribbling, but you don't have to touch the player with the ball directly, you slide and hold your finger anywhere on screen.

The passing and shooting controls have changed since the vid so I will get a new one ASAP.

I don't have an exact date. It has passed Apple testing but we will definitely be updating and may be changing a few things around. Sorry I cant be more specific but I'll keep everywhere updated when we have news.

The focus with Tiki Taka is this, an expansive long lasting career. Take a team to the pinnacle of club football and create a dream team. With regular updates of new leagues, competitions, players. That is the dream.

Unfortunately we won't have the breadth of leagues SWOS offered but hopefully we can compensate in other interesting ways! (incident engine, RPG style manager stats)

Again TBD regarding player names, without a license we definitely won't be using real names.

Thanks for the interest.

6. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    #6 steviebwoy, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    Linked to the above two points, if you used a random name generator then you'd really have no limit to the number of leagues and players you could create. Just a thought really, but you could create a database of, say, Spanish first names and surnames, then quite quickly and easily create enough names for all of the leagues and players from Spain. Obviously, you could set a percentage of "foreign" names from other leagues to put in there too.

So, you could have 70% Spanish names, then 20% Other European, and 10% ROW. It really would be pretty easy to do. I can give you a hand if you like :) Once you've done that, you could just assign each team a value (say 1-100) which would govern the range of player statistics (speed/control/shooting/passing etc) each team would have within it. So, a team with a rating of 100 would have players that have overall stats typically between 90 and 100 (perhaps with a few 70+ players), whereas a team with a rating of 20 would have mostly 10-20s with a few 30 rated players.

Without having real names you're really just left with either have mis-spelled names, or fake names as above. Codemasters went with mis-spelled names for SWOS XBLA and it absolutely bombed. Having players with completely mis-spelled names cheapens the experience massively imho, it just makes the game look like a knock-off.

7. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Hm, quite quiet on this one now?

8. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    When will the game release?

9. panicBarn

panicBarn Active Member

Nov 2, 2012
    #9 panicBarn, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    Hello everyone. Sorry for the silence!

We have been working hard improving the game engine and perfecting the touchscreen controls. We have had lot's of feedback from various public showings (Gamecity, Explay, PocketGamer etc) and also from our testflight crew - progress is continuing at pace and the controls have changed significantly.

The key for us though is perfecting the game engine and controls. Hopefully a couple of new video's should help indicate progress and changes. No release date yet but I will endeavor to update this thread more!

new controls demo video

Also bonus goal gameplay video recorded off the iPad.

[​IMG]

10. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Is it ipad only? I really hope to play it on iphone

11. panicBarn

panicBarn Active Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Also available on iPhone and Android tablet/phone and eventually Windows tablet/phone.

To make up for the lack of updates here are some coaches you can hire in your bid for Champions League Glory. More content soon!

[​IMG]

12. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    Will it be out soon?

13. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    It looks really nice! Can't wait to play it, I hope it will be a premium

14. Game.PN

Game.PN Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Going to the prison called "School"
    Earth,Milky Way
    Nice graphics

15. panicBarn

panicBarn Active Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Aiming for the new season August/September!

Still a lot of work to do but we are getting there.

[​IMG]

16. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    Any good news or updates?

17. panicBarn

panicBarn Active Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Update! Working hard while trying to enjoy the World Cup.

Beta next month? hope so :)

In the mean time, some exciting(not really) energy items. More good stuff soon.

[​IMG]

18. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    If you need help for beta test, I'd love to help you guys.

19. panicBarn

panicBarn Active Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Ping me an email: info at panicbarn dot com

Some new screenshots as we approach beta...

[​IMG]
    Score goals....lots of them!

[​IMG]
    Build a team to support your ummm team.

[​IMG]
    Red cards....lots of them!

[​IMG]
    One day Zlatan

20. djstout

Jul 21, 2011