Final Fantasy IV or Final Fantasy V??

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Formosa, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Formosa

Formosa Member

Oct 29, 2013
    which one should I buy?? Which one is longer? Please share your opinion with me so I decide lol thanks.

2. deathfisaro

deathfisaro Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Personally I have beaten FFV like 20 times ever since I was young and played it on the Super Famicom.
    And even after that many playthroughs, the job system offers so much fun every time I play it. I still think it's one of the best FFs to date.
    So between the two I'd pick FFV every time.

3. HungarianUrinalCakes

HungarianUrinalCakes Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Honestly, you can't go wrong with either. FFIV has a better story and has a sequel coming out in a couple of months, but FFV has a way better gameplay mechanic with the job class system. Personally, the iOS version of FFIV is weaker than the PSP version, but the iOS version of FFV is the best version available for that game.

4. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    If you have yet to play either Final Fantasy IV or V, get either or both. They are both great games. Personally, I really enjoyed playing Final Fantasy 1, for the gameplay.

iPadisWaitingForDragonQuestSeriesWhichIsComing...

5. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I've never played V but I have I-IV on my devices. I love the freedom of III and its 3D look, so IV was a nice change in the fact that it had more of a story. But IV didn't have a job/class system like III. But I do get a little overwhelmed with all the choices III gives me. I'd say the biggest difference is the 2D vs 3D look of them. V's 2D look isn't as retro as I and II, but is still classic looking. And I'm sure the story is still good. IV has a more 3D look to it and does have a sequel coming out, so there will be more to look forward to. Either will be fun I'm sure, just ask yourself what kind of visuals you want to look at (3D or 2D) and whether you want more story depth and characters (IV) or more freedom and jobs (V). I'll probably pick up V eventually, but I still have I-IV to beat!

6. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    U can't go wrong but 4 is a classic that can't be missed.

7. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    I have to chip in to say, I really could not stand Final Fantasy IV's 3D makeover.

iPadPlayedItWhenItCameWithARedLabelAndWasCalledFinalFantasyII...

8. ToyRookGames

ToyRookGames Active Member

Nov 5, 2013
    I think Final Fantasy VI is set to release at the end of the year. I can't wait for that one!. Kefka was one of the best villains ever.

9. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    I have 1-4 on ipad. Love them all. 4 reminds me a little of the look of 7.

The sequel to 4 is coming soon which will continue the story and 5 has just had an update today - will get soon but have never played.

6 due out soon also.

3 and 4 so far seem the better ones.

10. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    #10 smegly, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
    FFV is longer. In fact, in my experience, the only FF games that are longer than V are X, X-2 (if you do everything), and FFXII. I haven't played XIII so I can't say what the deal is there.

The main aspect of IV that I'd put over V is story. I do think V had a bigger story in terms of the number of places you go and things that happen, but it doesn't develop the five principal characters all that well whereas IV does this much better in less time with a bigger cast. I do think people go a bit overboard bashing V's story though.

Also 4 is based on the DS version of FF4 so it has a 3D makeover whereas FF5 is close to the original aesthetic but at a much higher resolution. Some people like this, some people don't. IV also has voice acting.

Personally, now that I'm at the point where I've played these older FF games time and time again, both recently as well as in the 90s, FFV is the one I find there to be the most reason to keep coming back to because the job system allows for so much variety as well as for making optimized gestalt characters.

11. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    The one that I really want to play is Final Fantasy X...