Checking validity of promo codes in iTunes 11?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by bubblepop900, Jan 10, 2014.

1. bubblepop900

bubblepop900 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2011
    In past versions of iTunes, we were able to see if a promo code was "valid" by doing the following:

1. Close iTunes if you have it open.
    2. Open iTunes again. Go to "Redeem".
    3. Enter the code.
    4. If it asks for your username and password*, the code is good!
    * Don't enter the password or you'll use the code.

However, in iTunes 11, it appears that you must first sign in before even allowed to see the "Redeem" screen. After you enter your code, there is seemingly no opportunity to cancel if the code is in fact valid.

Am I missing something here? Is there still a way to see if a promo code is valid in iTunes 11?

Thanks

2. bubblepop900

Jan 12, 2011
    Can someone please help me out with this? It seems like a glaring error on Apple's end if there isn't some kind of workaround.

3. bubblepop900

Jan 12, 2011
    Nobody can provide any insight on this issue?

4. I don't think there is any way now.

5. bubblepop900

Jan 12, 2011
    Ugggh that sucks. Also, apparently a single user can redeem multiple promocodes for the same app, even if they already own it! What was Apple thinking?

Oh, and I also tried launching the "Redeem" section on iTunes 9.2.1 on a different computer... it gives the same result. :(

6. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Yeah it's always been like that, there's been a few times where I got a promo code but didn't know what it was for and felt bad since I owned it already and someone else could have gotten it. Wish Apple would improve the promo code feature.

7. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I remember ages ago, someone posting a website that checks the validity of promo codes..don't know if it still works, and don't know the link..
    But perhaps google is your friend?
    Might not work now that apple has messed with the promo code process anyway..
    I wouldn't put it past greedy lurkers to redeem several of the codes just to be A holes.. People are sick.

bubblepop900 likes this.