★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Stuff that makes you run the other way when you see it in a game

05-05-2017, 05:13 PM
#11
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 86
@danci hmm need to check those.

Also i just found another thing that really irks me. Games with simulator and 3D from a company who will not be named and that go "on sale" all at the same time constantly, thus filling 4 or 5 pages of appshopper, that and the amazing games that are 19.99 but constantly go on sale (like every ten days) to 0.99. I mean really?!?
05-05-2017, 06:02 PM
#12
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 131
I'm not attracted also by free games with IAP.
I am very suspicious with games from japanese editors because of a bad experience with Bandai Namco since they removed from appstore Namco Arcade (no way to retrieve IAP...)
I hate games with external ressources to download ( the .IPA file backed on the PC is useless)
I hate games which doen't start/run without internet (like Mario Run)
I hate games which are requiring to register to an account.
But after mayn years of experience you detect very easily the crappy things.
I avoid also the games with abusive IOS version minimum requirement. i think that nowadays it is possible to release game still compatible with old IOS like IOS 6. The problem being the games created with game engines.....

05-06-2017, 03:59 AM
#13
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaniar View Post
@danci hmm need to check those.

Also i just found another thing that really irks me. Games with simulator and 3D from a company who will not be named and that go "on sale" all at the same time constantly, thus filling 4 or 5 pages of appshopper, that and the amazing games that are 19.99 but constantly go on sale (like every ten days) to 0.99. I mean really?!?
Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth, and I couldn't agree more.

I think the reason for these constant price changes is to "bump" their games to the top of the page on AppShopper, hoping that someone will buy. I only wish that there was a way to screen this garbage out from the AppShopper listings.
05-06-2017, 08:50 AM
#14
95% of games I install on my ipad 12.9 don't last more than 5 minutes if their portrait mode only.

Gamecenter : taeles
05-08-2017, 09:04 AM
#15
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 86
12.9 and portrait mode... ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeles View Post
95% of games I install on my ipad 12.9 don't last more than 5 minutes if their portrait mode only.
Well I can see that is a real problem, portrait mode is really only good for small screens. Luckily I have an ipod 6th gen and an ipad air.
05-08-2017, 11:33 AM
#16
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 955
This is probably just me, but I run a mile from the word "endless". First up, my time isn't endless. Second, I like an end goal to aim towards. Finally, endless just sounds like the developer couldn't work out how to finish their game.

2017 GOTY nominations: SAO: Memory Defrag, Death Road to Canada, Spaceplan
Switch ID: Krillin 5948-6652-1589
05-10-2017, 04:24 AM
#17
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 86
Lol so true

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangutanKungfu View Post
This is probably just me, but I run a mile from the word "endless". First up, my time isn't endless. Second, I like an end goal to aim towards. Finally, endless just sounds like the developer couldn't work out how to finish their game.
Yes i hate that endless fad that has been going on for some time now. Much like i used to hate roquelikes. But then i have played a couple of roguelikes i have liked (not many) but those do have an end.
Problem with endless is like you say, my time is not endless. Endless for me equals to being pointless.
05-10-2017, 06:02 AM
#18
I used to be dead against free games and to a large extent I still am.
The trouble these days is that so many actually good games don't bother trying to go down the paid route at all. So I'm a bit more forgiving of late, I'll try more games even if they're free, but the first hint of anything I despise about the traditional free to play model and I delete them.

I know they have to make a living and I know that these days that's the easiest way for them to do it. But if I find a game I like I'd rather they included an option for me to pay and get rid of all of the crap I don't want to see.


(Incidentally, I know it's double standards as I tend to put my games out as free. But those don't have adverts or forced purchases or any of the other shite I hate. They're free because I'd sooner people played them than I made money. Yes I am weird. If people like them they can buy me a coffee from the settings. If not, we'll play it anyway you get everything for free just the same.)

Total tech addict, software developer (more or less) and spouter of complete and utter nonsense when my medication kicks in. (No, really.)
05-11-2017, 05:17 AM
#19
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 86
One more thing

Another week gone by and another nail in the coffin.
Trafic.io?!?
Really?
Because we really needed a driving "io" game, which stands itself apart from every other race game because... it has ".io" on it's freaking name...

On the other hand, I just remembered something else that really irritates me.
Games that don't have a video, only images, (on the appstore or on the TA forums) or games that have 20 second trailers that either don't give any gameplay footage or just throw so many stills at you during those 20 seconds your head hurts (in fact videos with stills are lame, period...)
05-11-2017, 07:41 AM
#20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaniar View Post
Another week gone by and another nail in the coffin.
Trafic.io?!?
Really?
Because we really needed a driving "io" game, which stands itself apart from every other race game because... it has ".io" on it's freaking name...

On the other hand, I just remembered something else that really irritates me.
Games that don't have a video, only images, (on the appstore or on the TA forums) or games that have 20 second trailers that either don't give any gameplay footage or just throw so many stills at you during those 20 seconds your head hurts (in fact videos with stills are lame, period...)

I know exactly how you feel, I have the same sentiments for those same issues. As far as the .io games or any number of other "me too" games goes, we'll never be rid of that. If there's a bandwagon you can be damn sure there's going to be plenty of people jumping on it.

What grinds my gears though is when Apple features some games that are, let's be honest, f'ing awful. While some really, really good games get buried in the landslide every week. (And I'm not referring to my games, what will be will be as far as those go.)

Totally agree with the videos as well, now I don't consider myself a great maker of app preview videos. Far, far from it as anyone who's seen my videos will attest to But I do get annoyed when a video is little more than some screen grabs sliced together with a few buzzwords to try and intice people in.
That's not what I want to see for Christ's sake, show me some gameplay, there's a whole other bit for screenshots

Of course because all of that stuff annoys the hell out of me, I don't do it with my apps. Which might go some way to explain why they get ignored and disappear. I know they're not all completely terrible, I've at least one fan on here

Total tech addict, software developer (more or less) and spouter of complete and utter nonsense when my medication kicks in. (No, really.)