★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
04-19-2011, 11:46 PM
Hi Marcus,

It's easy to miss, since it's not available in-battle, but the bottommost button of the main menu links to the support page.

As it happens, we've got a couple dozen standalone skirmish battles that are ready to roll into future updates, to supplement any other requests folk may kick our way (i.e. the already-mentioned multitasking & retina support).

Right now, we're just exhausted and happy to see WTC finally published. Like most games, WTC has had its share of ups and downs, but it's been a labor of love through and through!

Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus70 View Post
Thanks for mentioning the FAQ in the support page. I really think it would be helpful to have that posted in the game as well. Also, are you planning to add more skirmish maps? I noticed there is space available to list more.
04-20-2011, 07:09 AM
@ SquareZero: I agree we aren't communicating the line of sight of ranged units as well as we could. The heuristics used to determine the line of sight also produces somewhat unexpected results sometimes. Both these issues could easily be addressed in future updates, of course.

@Marcus70: More skirmish maps could definitely be a possibility for future updates. We had a few more that we simply didn't feel as strongly about. We wanted to present you with our best ones.

04-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louard View Post
@ SquareZero: I agree we aren't communicating the line of sight of ranged units as well as we could. The heuristics used to determine the line of sight also produces somewhat unexpected results sometimes. Both these issues could easily be addressed in future updates, of course.

@Marcus70: More skirmish maps could definitely be a possibility for future updates. We had a few more that we simply didn't feel as strongly about. We wanted to present you with our best ones.
I think it's the "unexpected results" that are the issue. Too often you end up in a situation where you can't figure out why your archer doesn't have a valid target.

As to the story component, let me suggest two things, one fairly easy, the other perhaps not:

1) add an introduction or title card. Tell is us about the world. Who is "you"? What is the conflict about?

2) add hero units to the mix. These units can be introduced in the Intro (as described above) and cut scenes and would go from battle to battle (if they die, you lose the battle). You wouldn't need to make them upgradable, but they would gain abilities as you make your way through the game.

The goal here is to further engage the player -- right now the experience feels very superficial.
04-20-2011, 09:10 AM
If possible, can you send me a screenshot of an archer situation where you found yourself wondering why you didn't have a target? It is 100% predictable for me and I want to make sure we understand the root cause of any possible confusion. Everything is hex based. An archer's max range is 5 hexes. The hex adjacent to the archer is skipped. All other hexes in the path obstruct.

There are a some identifiable recurring characters and bosses you'll run into as you get deeper into the game, including leader units with crowns.

Doing a "heroes of wtc" expansion pack with heroes you can level up would be a natural, cool extension of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
I think it's the "unexpected results" that are the issue. Too often you end up in a situation where you can't figure out why your archer doesn't have a valid target.

As to the story component, let me suggest two things, one fairly easy, the other perhaps not:

1) add an introduction or title card. Tell is us about the world. Who is "you"? What is the conflict about?

2) add hero units to the mix. These units can be introduced in the Intro (as described above) and cut scenes and would go from battle to battle (if they die, you lose the battle). You wouldn't need to make them upgradable, but they would gain abilities as you make your way through the game.

The goal here is to further engage the player -- right now the experience feels very superficial.
04-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroffolino View Post
If possible, can you send me a screenshot of an archer situation where you found yourself wondering why you didn't have a target? It is 100% predictable for me and I want to make sure we understand the root cause of any possible confusion. Everything is hex based. An archer's max range is 5 hexes. The hex adjacent to the archer is skipped. All other hexes in the path obstruct.

There are a some identifiable recurring characters and bosses you'll run into as you get deeper into the game, including leader units with crowns.

Doing a "heroes of wtc" expansion pack with heroes you can level up would be a natural, cool extension of the game.
I'll send a screenshot tonight -- at work ATM.
04-20-2011, 06:00 PM
contest!

As a way to say thank you to Touch Arcade early adopters, we've decided to host a little contest. Here's how it works:

1. Louard or I will announce a challenge
2. The first player to post proof of completing that challenge will win $5 cold hard cash courtesy of PayPal
3. limit of one prize per user (so that one person doesn't take 'em all!)

Ye first challenge: A dragon has been feasting on the king's cattle. The first person to post a screenshot of the beast's portrait from the WTC pre-battle story cut scene earns a bounty. Post the screenshot here and PM me with a valid paypal email address to collect.

Last edited by Stroffolino; 04-20-2011 at 06:07 PM.
04-20-2011, 10:44 PM
Quote:
I'll send a screenshot tonight -- at work ATM.
Here's an example. Why can't my archer (A) target soldier (B)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WorldToConquer_Archer.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	32339  
04-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Here's an example. Why can't my archer (A) target soldier (B)?
I can't tell you how many times I've had my archer even two or three squares away from the enemy (like squarezero's picture shown above) and they can't target an enemy in front of them and yet the enemy archer can target my players every turn. It seems units next to my archer or next to the target somehow block the line of sight in someway (even though they are not the line of sight). And that wouldn't be a problem, but the enemies archers don't seem to have any line of sight penalties.

Last edited by Marcus70; 04-20-2011 at 11:18 PM.
04-21-2011, 06:19 AM

This should make a good addition to the FAQ.

Hopefully this illustration, derived from SquareZero's screenshot (thanks!) will help make the current line-of-sight rules more clear. The purple shading indicates unobstructed hexes. The hexes marked with "X" indicate potential targets (in this case, all allied units, which is why they aren't selectable).

To cut to the chase and answer the question "why can't A hit B" it is because the game considers every projectile path to have some thickness, and errs on the side of letting obstacles behave as cover - the engine considers the rightmost allied unit to be blocking a clear shot from A to B. Just barely.

The game board is hexagon based, like classic D&D. The isometric rendering of the playfield applies a distortion - things are squeezed vertically, with a sheer tilting everything slightly to the right. For the common case of attack or movement range, the rendering perspective gives the illusion that makes it look like you can walk or aim further horizontally than vertically.

Archers cannot attack any hex immediately adjacent to them. This means that if you manage to crowd an enemy archer, they won't be able to hit you unless they first run away to get some distance. It also means that an archer can shoot past an obstacle if it is standing next to it.

Finally, the game is also generous about letting units use obstacles for cover. All obstacles, whether trees, rocks, or units are treated as if they completely fill their hex.

You can use this to your advantage, especially in duels with archers vs. wizards.

If there's a seeming advantage to computer units, it's because they fully understand the game mechanics and cannot be confused by the rendering perspective. All things being equal they will line up to attack from safe places. Skirmish mode is probably the best way to explore the edge cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus70 View Post
I can't tell you how many times I've had my archer even two or three squares away from the enemy (like squarezero's picture shown above) and they can't target an enemy in front of them and yet the enemy archer can target my players every turn. It seems units next to my archer or next to the target somehow block the line of sight in someway (even though they are not the line of sight). And that wouldn't be a problem, but the enemies archers don't seem to have any line of sight penalties.
04-21-2011, 08:58 AM
New and Noteworthy Board game!

We're being featured in the Canadian app store as a New and Noteworthy board game!

You know what, I think I agree with that!