need an alien language?

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by Flickitty, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    #1 Flickitty, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
    way' slax't i_skwist scac'aypmx skek'aka ul in_cut nselxcin. i_nax'nex xexasa't ul ta'li swi'numtx ta'ap sklacinm i_skwist. lut ken ta_kl n'kesils ki_ken ckenltiln. way' ninwis lwikntsn.

I just saw the Avatar (3D) and I was amazed at how similar the alien language was to my own American Indian heritage. I'm not sure if Avatar used an actual language, however, it got me thinking why an existing or dying language WOULDN'T be used. (I didn't research it).

Above is an example of nselxcin or Salish. Most of those words cannot be pronounced within the phonetics of English. I am a tribal member of schitsu 'umsh and our language is a mix between several nearby tribes, including roots in nselxcin.

I know it is a longshot, but if anyone is looking for an alien language I could provide several samples, both typed and spoken (recorded). Direct and literal translation isn't really required, for example you could create a map with areas marked waq'waqt snikl'ca sa'titkw, or an alien HUD or ship markings. My girlfriend speaks pretty well if a feminine voice needs to be recorded.

Besides using a cool looking language that very few people can speak or read (adding to its true alien-ness), you would be helping to expand a dying language.

2. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    you are a very interesting person Flic.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
  4. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    That is pretty interesting.

Our language was never meant to be written, so we had to borrow from the International Phonetic Alphabet. The sample I provided above uses the normal English alphabet, so most of the letters are approximations. We have a lot of accents and modified letters. So it kind of looks like Na'vi, and as I said before, a LOT of the sounds are not part of english phonetics- the X's sound like an exhale or sometimes a hiss (depending position and inflection).

5. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    That's kinda cool. Is there anywhere online I can hear it being spoken? It's also quite interesting seeing people type in Arabic with an English keyboard, they end up using quite a lot of letters three times in a row in a single word, and also have to use numbers within the words to get the approximate sound. It's quite hard trying to understand how it works from the point of view of someone who only speaks English.

6. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    As far as I know, the only samples online are here:

http://interiorsalish.com/nselxcin.html

This is what the language actually looks like when the proper alphabet/font is used:

[​IMG]

7. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    I agree. :)

Your experiments and threads are very interesting. :)

8. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I've been called 'interesting' before, and I have certainly been called a lot worse.

If you want to know something really crazy, just imagine what I look like.

I have dreadlocks that are about 3 feet long- they touch my waistline. No, I'm not kidding.

9. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    *chants - pics pics pics - chants*

fits the artist tag at least. how many times have you been asked to cut your hair? :) my gf gets nutz about long, straight hair.. it is 40 or so cms; but you take the cake here.

10. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I don't have anything recent online, my girlfriend has most of my pics on her computer. I grabbed a photo from MySpace that is about 3 years old, or as I like to say 'when my hair was SHORT'.

This is me and my friend April:

[​IMG]

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #11 Vovin, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
    Omg... that's really cool! :)

About you, I had an image more related to Steve Urkel in my mind. :D

Btw., April looks like she has an american indian heritage, too.

12. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    That's cool Flickitty. :)

Why not add this language into Flickitty? :D

13. Moonmist

Moonmist Well-Known Member

May 13, 2009
    at my computer?
    your one crazy guy flick... lol

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Suddenly my respect for Flickitty has grown.

15. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Up until the last couple weeks of development, the language did appear in the game. The levels had names like wis'tasqt, kec'kact and kakin xuey

There were words strewn about the maps too, mostly on signs.

I'll add them back in eventually.

16. abruce42

abruce42 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Dang Flic, you are absolutely awesome in my book.
    I never pictured you as some cool-looking guy, I just... I dont even know how I pictured you as.

I bet you'd all be surprised that I have Arnold Swarcheneggar's body.
    And now smash Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt's heads together and you have mine.
    Not even kidding.

17. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Wow thats almost hard to imagine- so yeah I am surprised. I'm only surprised because I always imagine that everyone online is completely 'normal'.

Whatever normal is.

I'd probably be shocked to see what most the people here look like. I'm probably not even the only person with dreadlocks on this forum. When I started school 2 years ago, I was the only person on campus with dreads. Now there are a couple dozen, with dreads about 6 inches long. For some reason dreads became popular.

Dammit.

18. Ler

Ler Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Europe
    We have and Alien Glyphs here))) I did not see AVATAR yet (I will) but btw it is interesting can our Glyphs be the source of the alien language)??

19. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    I'm listening to Jingle Bells… hahaha. :D

It does sound more exotic… Which is a problem because it sounds difficult for an English actor to learn how to pronounce. Unless there are Salish voice actors. (I'm sure there are somewhere!)

20. DYS_Translations

Nov 4, 2008
    We're seriously considering to add "alien language" translations to our services. :rolleyes:

D.