D.C Empire

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Nicoipad, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Nicoipad

Nicoipad Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    #1 Nicoipad, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
    Hi there! I am pleased to announce that I have started work on my first iOS game entitled D.C Empire. The game is a crime game set in Washington D.C. The style is very arcade-y. There are 4 different types of missions: car race, turf war, tank rampage and horse race. The overall goal is to move into the white house and take over the world. To do that you must reach level 10. Each time you complete a mission you go up a level. What is the game's selling point? Short, addictive, non-feeemium missions and features famous Washington DC landmarks like The White House, Capitol Building and Washington Monument. The game also features a homemade soundtrack or the ability to play your own iPod music. The game will be submitted next month to apple and will sell for 99 cents

2. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Screenies?

3. Nicoipad

Aug 28, 2010
    Coming later

4. Nicoipad

Aug 28, 2010
    3 screenshots. 1 is turf war (notice my bad imitation of the capital building :p) the other is tank rampage, the other one is the app store icon. All original art by me and made on game salad

Attached Files:

5. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Hehe. Funny art style :p

6. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    I would hold off on screenshots until you can at least figure out how to make them transparent. I don't want to bash you, but those drawings look like a toddlers.

7. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Those drawings are pretty bad, I must admit.

8. Nicoipad

Aug 28, 2010
    Yeah they are not too good but that's kind of the point. It's supposed to seem cartoony. Thought it was good enough for a first game. The aim of the game is to take the focus off graphics and onto gameplay. It's not competing with GTA and Infinity Blade. It's it's own graphic style

9. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    I see where you are coming from, but the thing is that there is a fine line between "cartoony" graphics and toddler graphics. Even if the graphics are supposed to be cartoony, they should be crisp, they should be clean, and they should have some sort of wacky style. Pick a color scheme for the game and stick with colors that will match that scheme. Then, pick a style of artwork that conveys the atmosphere you want to create (ie. blocky, round, ballooned up, stick man, jagged, etc). Build on it from there but stay consistent. The most important things are to have your artwork be clean and crisp. First impressions are everything, so even if gameplay is groundbreaking, most people won't even consider buying the game if screenshots look bad. Hope this helps.

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I love the graphics but agree they won't be very popular.

11. sivyan

sivyan Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Germany
    Why would you love the graphics? The dev said they are supposed to be cartoony but look at them, I could draw better ones in paint in under 30 seconds.He even has white corners around them, sorry but no one and I mean NO ONE, is going to buy this except for indie supporters, this is a waste of money on a developer license and this project seems as it has been made in 10 minutes.

12. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Ahh man.... I saw D.C Empire and thought it was gonna be Batman, Superman and loads more characters in a epic crime-fighting action game!

13. Nicoipad

Aug 28, 2010
    Thanks for the help. I am going to re-do the art but since someone asked for screenshots I thought I would just throw then out there.

14. Nicoipad

Aug 28, 2010
    Thanks. I am thinking of ways to make then more popular and approachable without completly destroying what I like about the current version

15. starcat

starcat Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    this thread has delicious all over it.

16. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Haha, this looks great! I wouldn't mind the graphics as long as the gameplay and controls are good.

17. sharpener

sharpener Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Musician
    Kowloon, Hong Kong
    try using photoshop if not gimp to make your sprites maybe that will help?

18. Nicoipad

Aug 28, 2010
    I think he controls are simple and fun enough. Anolog moves, a and b shoot different guns or the tank turret (when in a tank)

19. Joyomi

Joyomi Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Lolz those screenshots are hilarious.

20. Nicoipad

Aug 28, 2010
    In a good way or bad way?