Need Advice for my Game...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by LucasPro, Feb 9, 2013.

1. LucasPro

LucasPro Member

#1 LucasPro, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
    Hi all!!
    i've finally released my first game!! :)
    but.... i would like to have some advice from expert like you in this forum, i think that there is something wrong with my game, and i would like to hear your thoughs :confused:
    Maybe the graphic?
    Maybe the icon?
    Maybe the menus?
    Maybe the gameplay?
    Maybe the price?

i say this, because, i see high downloads for the Lite version every day, but very low sales compared

Thanks in advance

Ps : Sorry for my english :eek:

Bye :)

PPS : Here is the link of the full version :D https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/leviton-racers-hd/id597244512
    and of the lite version : https://itunes.apple.com/it/app/leviton-racers-hd-lite/id597384845?mt=8

2. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

I'll give it a try and get back to you here. Congrats on releasing your first game!

Before I play it, I'll say that I like the 2nd and 3rd screenshots best. They look a lot better than the other three, mainly because they don't show the track surface the same way the others do. I think screenshot 3 is the best and should be the first one people see.

The game looks decent, I'll give it a spin.

:)

3. schplurg

#3 schplurg, Feb 9, 2013
    The game is good. I like the way the ship steers - I used tilt controls. The controls make or break a game like this, and I think they are great. You might mention there's a lite version if you want more people to give opinions here :)

The menus are good. The music seems appropriate for the game. I never listen to game music but I left it on to check it out. It's cool.

Graphics are pretty good. Frame rate is solid. It's a good racing game. I didn't see any weapons or powerups, other than speed boosts embedded in the track, and an energy refuel area for the on-board boost. Took me a few plays to figure that part out.

I'd like to see the ships go faster, but they may - I didn't get that far into the game. They could maybe use a little bounce when landing from a jump.

I think it's a nice game! I think your app store presentation is the problem.
    I'd say add more to the app description somehow, and change or rearrange the screenshots. The cockpit screenshots look better than the others because of the stretchy track texture.

I think it's a pretty good game, and a very good first game! I'll buy the full.

Edits:
    Also add a link in the game to purchase the full from the lite version (I didn't see one).

If the number at the top center of my screen is telling me what place I am at, it changes constantly.

I like that you can go the wrong way! :)

4. LucasPro

LucasPro Member

I see, the track take much surface of screenshot , i'll try to make others more interesting ;)

5. LucasPro

LucasPro Member

You're right, i'll modify the first post ;)

The bounce it's in program for the next update ;) ,and with the faster ships, it goes insanely fast :D

Thanks, i'll follow your advice. The screenshots are really poor.

I hope so!! :)

Next Update ,thanks for your advice!

6. schplurg

#6 schplurg, Feb 9, 2013
    I agree, the ship speed is probably fast enough, given the speed boosts, and the potential to get faster ships.

What's the difference between the lite and the full version? I have both

7. LucasPro

LucasPro Member

The lite version have only the first 3 tracks available

8. raekess

raekess Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Product Manager
    Lafayette, CO
    App Store Presentation

Hey LucasPro!

I checked out your game although I've yet to play it. I agree with schplurg - it's your App Store presentation that's letting you down.

A couple of my thoughts:
    • Your icon tells me nothing about what the game is or even what type of gameplay I can expect (it's kind of difficult to tell they're ships even...)
    • The description of your game tells me very little about what type of game it is as well - I have to read down to the third sentence to get an idea, and then click the More button to verify. Most people won't do that. You need to let people know what your game is in the first two sentences - that's your hook. I just helped a fellow developer write her iTunes description earlier today and that's what we focused on.
    • Your first two screenshots should be full of action and exciting. Images should show off the artstyle and scream quality and fun (can you post them in a portrait orientation so that there are 2 images fully visible and not cut off?)
    • There's a post here on the forums discussing free demos and their affect on sales...

Good luck to you!!

9. AlienSpace

AlienSpace Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    The icon looks like ships flying through space, but the screenshots show that the game is about racing around tracks. You should change the icon to match the game.

10. opsive

opsive Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    I played the lite version for a bit, here are my thoughts:
    • I agree with others about the icon. Even after playing the game the ship in the icon doesn't look like the ships in the game.
    • I used the tilt controls and they worked well... Although I was bumping into the sides of the track a lot.
    • The graphics fit the game well. The only suggestion that I have is to add a shadow to the ship to give it more depth.
    • When I first started the game, I was confused that I had to buy a ship right from the very beginning when I thought that I couldn't afford it. My suggestion would be to have the first ship unlocked automatically versus unnecessarily making the player press the buy button right from the beginning.
    • I am still confused about the energy and boost system. I lose energy when I hit the walls, but how does that affect me? I didn't notice a speed difference (although that doesn't mean it wasn't there). And then I also didn't know when I had boost available or not. Maybe fade out the boost button when boost is unavailable, or have a boost meter?

All in all, it is a fun game and my suggestions are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

11. LucasPro

LucasPro Member

First of all, i wanna say thank you all!!

1-Then, first thing , i have to change the icon, is obvious ;)
    2-then some instructions on the gameplay
    3-A better description of the game
    4-Some improvements wise

Need to work hard!!