OpenFeint Announcement

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by randomdude, Sep 4, 2009.

1. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
  2. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    old news, but good news though :D

3. randomdude

Mar 21, 2009
    Dang I curse TUAW for it's lateness sorry guys :(

4. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

So will these make it so you don't have to pay for servers and do it directly through feint? Sorry for the noob question just wondering...

5. randomdude

Mar 21, 2009
    I think its free for devs and us. They make their money through ads I think so yea

6. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ads and Private Label.

7. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

oh sweet now there's gonna be a lot more online games

8. randomdude

Mar 21, 2009
    thanks for the clarifacation!

9. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    Does this mean that there are now going to be ads in OpenFeint?

10. kirothak

kirothak Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    I am still annoyed by the social gaming platform problem with i devices, namely that everybody and there dog is trying to make one, thats bad for consumers and damn annoying. i refuse to waste my time with these things untill there is a single industry stranded.

but really i am putting my bet on OF this is a big step forward, plus they seem to be developing and adding new features much faster then the others. though it saddens me that rolando put there support behind plus+

11. kirothak

kirothak Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    most likely

thay have to make money somehow, the other option would be to charge devs to be a part of OF and thats counter productive when they are trying to become THE social gaming platform for idevice.

i am perfectly fine with the ad supported business model here (as long as thay don't go over board) as this new feature alone could chage the app store dramaticly, now small indie devs have the resources to do multilayer in there games something most could not afford to run. its a very fair trade

12. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    The only thing I hate about OF is the the friends list. It forces you to have a twitter/fb account in order to invite friends. WHY!? What kind of insane concept is that? Why not just have your own database and let friends invite you from that?

Not everybody has a FB/Twitter account. I personally think FB is an ungodly plague that has ruined the internet as I once knew it and don't even get me started on Twitter, 90% of it is filled with low-life rejects who think random people like reading their constant status updates. I was forced to create a Twitter account to get some friends on my OF. I'd douse myself in gasoline, light a match and roll around on shit before I signed up to FB.

One may ask "Dr. Voodoo, if you hate social networking sites so much, then why be a part of OF/Plus+?". I hate sites where dolts post about what they did the night before, not cool friend databases that show statistics and useful things.

13. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Guess you don't have any games that developers put the newest version of Openfeint into?

All your points are invalid ;)....OF can do all that :rolleyes:

14. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    Orly? So it's only available on some titles? Will the other OF enabled titles receive this update to the software as well?

15. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah...about 5-7 games have released updates with OF 2.1 (could be more idk), lots more are coming soon though once apple approves them.

And it's completely up to the developer if they want to submit an update with the new OF in their game. It won't automatically do it. So if the developers are still updating their games, then yes. If not, then a lot of games will probably just be left on the old version and be forgotten about.

16. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    Splendid, just opened up Pocket God and it has it. Thanks for shedding light on this. Now OF is OK in my book. Now we just have to wait it see which one (OF or Plus+) survives.

You'll be the first person to pop my new fangled friend-adding-feature cherry.

17. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Openfeint-1038036.html
    "which has accumulated 2000 registered developers to date. "
    But how many actual active developers? And how many games? And how many games that are being actively used by how many players? The above stat means absolutely nothing.

oh, sorry, they can't count..

http://aurorafeint.com/
    "With over 1 million active users, 1000 registered developers, and 100 games live in the app store, OpenFeint is the standard in Xbox Live style services for iPhone game developers."
    Define 'active'. One user login in the last 30 days? Ever? How many inactive? 900 devs do NOT use it?

Don't you think that keeping your main site up to date is useful as it doesn't look like you are lying elsewhere?

https://api.openfeint.com/signup
    So I could signup, create 'Khaled's Greatest Hits' and expect to be cross-promoted in Minigore, Pocket God and Stick Wars? And how do the creators of those games feel about that? Is there a standard? If so, what and where.

I hope the game devs keep a backup if they can and that they are prepared for the day when either OF introduce high charges forcing them to pay because their data is secured inside OF and unusable elsewhere or when OF drop the shutters completely.

Don't buy into the hype.

18. randomdude

Mar 21, 2009
    Dude what's with the rant? The OpenFeint make their money through ads and private labels and since it doesn't appear during use I don't care but if the server needs more money to operate I'm more than happy to see ads. Also they never said there is going to be ads in the network. This actually make OpenFeint much more unique thus you do the supply and demand thing and they can charge more for the ad placement. Either way it's free! Also this version is for Turn Based games so you can't have you server crash that quick so just lighten up and just watch the Social Network war and Plus+ looks like its losing so far but does it have an Ace up its sleeve?

19. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I wasn't ranting :)

20. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Both the social networking methods (both OpenFeint and Plus+) are interesting because of the support that's popping up. However I personally do prefer Plus+ implementation a bit more, but we'll just have to wait and see! :)