Gameloft and iPad (release analysis)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Pacificsun0481, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    After being bummed, I decided to see if there is some sort of unwritten code to release schedules. Observing recent Gameloft trends, release dates for iPhone games and their subsequent HD versions.

Suffice to say, I'm not as bummed after investing time into my non-scientific research. It's reassuring at least, for us fellow iPad owners.

Let's start with their modern/newest releases:

Let's golf 2: July 22

Let's golf 2 HD: August 6
    ------------
    Real Golf: September 9

Real Golf HD: September 16
    ------------
    Hero of Sparta 2: July 29

Hero of Sparta 2 HD: August 19
    ------------
    Spiderman: September 1

Spiderman HD: November 11
    ------------
    Star battalion: October 17

Star Battalion HD: November 18
    -------------
    Real Soccer 2011: September 25

Real Soccer 2011 HD: October 13
    -------------
    NFL 2011: August 2

NFL 2011 HD: October 23
    ------------
    Gangstar 2: September 23

Gangstar 2 HD: November 4
    ------------
    Modern Combat 2: October 7

Modern Combat 2 HD: October 21
    ------------
    Iron Man 2: May 3

Iron Man 2 HD: May 3

Only: Star Battalion, Gangstar, Spiderman and NFL had a launch difference of a month or more between the versions.

I didn't include Splinter Cell or several other games as they were too new, when the iPad was still too new (month old and such) - only includes releases from the later part of the year. Summer and beyond. Iron Man 2 is the only exception, with a simultaneous release.

This bodes well for iPad owners hoping to see: Nova 2, Shadow Guardian, Dungeon Hunter and Eternal Legacy soon. The big releases, as you can see vary by 2-3 weeks apart.

So hopefully, by my calculations impatient iPad owners, will be able to save some money by waiting a couple of weeks. Don't double dip.

:D

Ps. Thanks to iOS 4.2, I was able to multitask between looking up releases and their launch dates via the AppStore.

2. JamesDean69

JamesDean69 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    PacSun
    Thank u for your post. I have the same issue. I have no space to put games on my iphone and put most new games now on my ipad. I usually go with the HD iPad versions for the bigger screen and graphics. With the retina display now however the iphone games look just as good as the HD versions on the ipad. But as i said space is my dilemma. I LOVE Gameloft games. I think they are the best developers on the appstore. I buy almost all their games and have often bought both iphone and HD versions cause i dont want to wait for the HD version. It bothers me that they dont release them at the same time. I would hope there was some other reason they do this other than to push players to buy both versions. Either way the truth remains that they delay the release of the HD versions. Thanks for your timeline for the releases. Seems to be around a month for most of the games. Dungeon Hunter 2 is out now and i want to grab it but i would have to remove games to sync it. The games get bigger and bigger. So as bad as i want it now i will just wait for the HD iPad version. Hope your timeline holds true and its no more than a month before the release.

3. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    I think games like star batallion, prince of persia, and recently world of goo and puzzle quest 2 shows how some games will only work on the ipad, or at least without constant frustration and too many buttons or too small buttons to press correctly every time otherwise. Plus every other universal app game is always the best on the ipad. The ipad rocks for gaming. I dont get why so few of you get one instead of the ipod touch.

4. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah. Just hold off on Dungeon Hunter.

Let's Golf, Real Golf, Modern Combat 2 and one other game I forget from my list - the wait was exactly 2 weeks for the HD version.

Dungeon Hunter will probably arrive for iPad before Eternal Legacy (which I want more)

Nonetheless.

Figure, if Nova and Shadow Guardian don't arrive for the iPad on launch. Those 2 game will be released 2 weeks later, in HD format.