★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Random SciFly II screenshot (it's so shiny!)

04-01-2009, 06:07 AM
Send a message via AIM to jshmrsn
Random SciFly II screenshot (it's so shiny!)

Edit: This post is old and a lot of links/images are broken. I'll post most recent content up here:

YouTube video from TA

Youtube link | Pop Up

TA article: http://toucharcade.com/2009/06/04/e3...o-of-scifly-2/

Screenshots:

Edit: Original post:

This is totally random, but I had another one of those development moments where I was like "wow, that looks awesome...", so I wanted to share a screenshot just for fun.

I've been working on the aircraft's paint material material since I got back from GDC. I've always wanted it to look like a sports car, but I don't think I had it quite right until (perhaps) now. I decided to pick a photo of a red Ferarri and try as hard as I could to replicate its paint.
On gaming console hardware, this is possible using all sorts of dynamic reflections and such. These abilities are not available on the iPhone yet, so shiny materials are not too easy to implement.

Okay. So, this is the photo of the Ferarri I was using as a reference:

And this is SciFly II

And, just for comparison, this is what the original SciFly looked like:

I would love to hear your opinions on how it looks to you. Does it look final-product worthy, or should I keep working on it?

Josh Rosen
Developed Above & Beyond Air Combat (Now Available!)
Developed: SciFly
Twitter: @jshmrsn

Last edited by jshmrsn; 06-21-2009 at 12:16 AM.
04-01-2009, 06:12 AM
Amazing job on the plane. It definately looks ready to me. Especially when compared to the SciFly original. Again very nice job on the lighting and coloring.

04-01-2009, 06:13 AM
Turn the gloss down slightly on the ship and raise the graphics level for enviormrnts

Current faves:UniWar,Glyder, Assasin's Creed, Wolfenstein,Zenonia(beta testing)
☻/ my review site:cheatcodes4chicos
/▌reviewer at: appmania
/ \ There you go rocketman I've moved on from hobocity
04-01-2009, 06:33 AM
The plane itself looks great, but imho, it doesn't connect well with the cartoony environment. You must have 1 overall style to unite everything in the game, from the planes, environment, terrain and interface.

Would it be cartoony like Clusterball, or realistically glossy like Fastlane, or dark robotic like Transformers posters with less vibrant colours and more moody colour palette?

Huge improvement over the previous one though, huge.

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.
04-01-2009, 06:36 AM
Pretty much agree with the two posts above, me personally I would take a crappy lookin ship and prefer more interesting and better looking enviroments. And the plane is a lil too shiny as it is.
04-01-2009, 06:58 AM
oh man this looks great! I love the blue and green world you've created there, islands are great!! Remember Clusterball? That turquoise water and landscape would have been great to fly around in, and this looks pretty good!

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
04-01-2009, 07:43 AM
I really hate to say that it really is a bit too shiny x.x

Maybe less shiny, and more shiny in the environment? Then there'll be shiny everywhere!

Shiiiinnnyyyyy ._.
04-01-2009, 08:00 AM
please tell me that there is auto-locking onto targets in this version, because I found the original impossible to play because i could never aim on the targets.

the screenshot looks very nice though.
04-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Send a message via MSN to Sierra275
I think I'm getting this game the moment it comes out.

Sierra275 on Gameloft Live, Openfeint, Gamecenter, and most other social gaming networks on the iTouch.
04-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashzed View Post
please tell me that there is auto-locking onto targets in this version, because I found the original impossible to play because i could never aim on the targets.
I'm with you on that. I could never aim on targets. Maybe there's something we don't know.

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.