IOS 7.1.2 - Is it worth a JB for "controllers for all"?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jorlen, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I've noticed that controllers for all has been updated and seems to work for IOS 7.1 and 7.1.2.

I have read some reports that some people are having problems, though. Are any of you using it?

I don't usually JB my devices, but this might actually be worth JB'ing for, because I do own a DS3 controller already. From my understanding, this Cydia app will allow me to use the DS3 as a MFI controller AND also allow me to map the controls to any game, correct?

2. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I jb'ed for exactly this reason and it was worth it as I now get to use a DS3 controller but only with MFi games. It doesn't let you map the controls to any game. Another 'App' does that called Blutrol, but it is a faff where you have to take a photograph of the screen and then map the controls of your controller to the controls on the screen - easier than it sounds and not sure that Blutrol is great with DS3. I use the old Gameloft Controller with Blutrol DS3 with C4All. If it's your main or only device I probably wouldn't bother but I gave it a try with my iPad2 and I haven't looked back since. I have a SteelSeries and Logitech MFi controller and the DS3 is so much better from a pure controller perspective. Sorry to go on. The answer from me is, as always, it depends.........

3. K0N3

K0N3 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    This always makes me laugh "is it worth me jailbreaking for..."

The answer is always a big fat YES!! I really don't understand why people are so paranoid about jailbreaking! I've jailbroken every iOS device I've ever owned, right back to the days when GeoHot (George Hotz) was the main man for the exploit!! The reason I say YES is because the jailbreak can be removed at any time without any problems... When you restore or update your phone through iTunes (not OTA) it removes ALL traces of the jailbreak!!

4. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    There are a lot of really excellent official MFi controllers scheduled for release this month and next, if you'd be open to buying an official one. But if you already have a PS3 controller lying around, and you don't mind backing up and restoring if something goes wrong, it's really hard to come up with a reason NOT to give it a shot...

5. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Gotcha, so blutrol is a separate app that lets you kinda map your controller to touch-based areas. Obviously it would only work for certain kinds of games, but it's still a cool concept.

This is likely a stupid question but if I JB, it sounds like I can revert by simply doing a restore. Is this correct? If so, I agree that I have nothing to lose.

6. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Yes!

I'm still waiting for a proper jb for 7.1.2 though :(

Not sure how long it's going to be, they might even wait until 8.0

7. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    You can revert to non-JB pretty easily, yeah. You'll have to enter into DFU, but that's not really a big deal, and there are tutorials online.

I generally don't recommend jailbreaking if you're not familiar with the process, but yes, if you maintain regular backups and aren't afraid to mess around with iTunes and third-party jailbreak stuff, it's worth looking into.

The Horipad is coming later this month though, and it's pretty similar to the Dualshock 3 - if you don't want to risk it, might be worth just waiting for that ;)

8. Multiboy2k

Multiboy2k Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Watcher
    Could change at a moment's notice
    TLDR:

ABSOLUTELY.

I used to use a SteelSeries Stratus MFI Controller before I jailbroke.
    After I jailbroke and got Controllers for All and decided to connect my dual shock PS3 wireless controller. I immediately reboxed my Steelseries controller and returned it back to the store. There simply was no comparison between using a real PS3 controller vs a MFI controller. My Ipad Mini Retina feels much like a home console now, particularly when it's connected to the 60" HDTV and my controller. I will probably never use my Ipad again without a jb of some sort.
    Yes. It's easily worth it.

9. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    I'm using controllersforall with iOS 7.1.2 and it works exactly how it should. So you can jailbreak for only that but if there is a problem with your phone you should restore it before you take it to the store.

Are you waiting for an Evasi0n release? Because current 7.1.2 jb is fine.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Forget the controllers. It's worth it alone for emulators

11. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    To be fair, GBA4iOS and NDS4iOS work great without jailbreaking.

But they ARE better with controllers :D

12. imjhonfre

imjhonfre Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012
    yeah, those games are made to be controlled without your fingers all over the screen :p

Pokemon, fire emblem and similars work well with touch controls though :p

Also: get warioware

13. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Yeah..

Call me paranoid but I simply don't trust that Chinese one.

14. imjhonfre

imjhonfre Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012
    You have all the rights to prefer protecting your info rather than having a jailbroken iphone and so do I, but I guess they aren't interested on my duckz pictures (wait, ducks?)

There will (most likely) not be another jailbreak release for iOS 7.1.X before iOS 8 comes out though

15. Brad Vickers

Brad Vickers Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Whoever wants to Jailbreak are putting there info at risk (potentially) @Mene - doesn't that make you paranoid? if it does, I suggest you not bother going ahead with it. As for the Chinese PanGu tool, nothing is dodgy with it, i hope your reason for not JB'ing is not because the tool is compiled by Chinese hackers; and not American.

16. paxal

paxal Member

Jun 26, 2013
    I updated my ipad 3 to 7.1.2 and jb'ed it. Controllers for All does not work now, it was ok with 7.0.4 :( I chnaged my ds3's bluetooth adress with Sixaxis Pair Tool but games does not connect to gamepad, it's just blinking again and again. Any idea? Sorry for bad English.

17. SherlockEB

Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    Do you have Btstack installed and does it turn on when you open a game ?

18. paxal

paxal Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Yes, i did and reinstalled btstack and controllers 4 all but no luck :( Did you change your gamepad's master id after you update your ipad? Ipad's bluetooth adress is still same after update right?
    What's your controllers for all and btstack's version?

19. SherlockEB

Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    I've updated it 2 times and didn't have to reconfigure my Ds3
    My controllers4all is 1.4.3 and Btstack is 0.8-3

20. paxal

paxal Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Thank you. I don't know hat i did wrong or this is just unlucky for me. :(