Armada: Galactic War-strategies

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by backtothis, May 8, 2010.

1. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Well if you haven't noticed by my recent posting, i'm obsessed with this new RTS that hit the US store last night.
    It's def the best online rts experience i've had since it combines the idevices pick up and play nature with heavy strategy allowing for intense games that average 10 minutes.

So here's a place where anyone can contribute, and hopefully will, to strategies for this game. From effective rushing tactics, to eco raping tactics, to simply micromanaging troops, please offer some cool things you've figured out about the game.

You can also arrange private matches and such here since the main thread shouldn't really be a place for that.

Also look for my lenghthy upcoming review on TA xD.
    Haven't liked a game this much since...uh..Heheh.

2. tnt2k1

tnt2k1 New Member

May 8, 2010
    here is my strategy for starting out in the first three minutes:

i haven't played the actual game yet but i played the latest beta version (prior to release, obviously) a week ago. what works well for me is to stay at your home base and load up on little cheap mechs (like 20-30). once you get 9 mechs on that crystal, send your mother ship and the rest of the mechs to claim the next crystal (it may help to determine where your enemy is coming from so if they decide to attack your starting point, at least your main force will be in their way). as you are claiming the next crystal, start loading up on the heavy mechs.

I suggest this tactic when claiming crystals early in the battle and for building up your army (before you get to the tanks and ships).

3. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Hmmm I don't know about that one since one resource patch isn't enough, even in the first 3 mins, and the effort to successfully get 9 mechs on a patch is way too much, so I neve have more than 6 on one.

And the massing of mechs is never a good idea, I get my first level 3 tank at 2 mins into the game, and one lvl 3 tank and 3 mechs can wipe out 10 mechs no problem.

4. tnt2k1

tnt2k1 New Member

May 8, 2010
    ill give your suggestion a shot when i buy the game after exams (i fear if i buy it now, i wont' get any studying done).

5. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yeah I'm in the middle of AP's and finals will be soon..and I just bought 40 dollars of games from giftcards, along with this..

6. aznriceboi13

aznriceboi13 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    where rice paddies grow...
    man ap tests are somewhat hard, got one more to go
    well don't just rely on one type of mech, if you do you'll lose
    leave a few mechs to harvest at the starting point and go find another source to harvest from for if you don't you have be surprised when the other player has a huge army
    don't bring your mothership into battle unless needed

7. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yeah def get a bunch of mines, spread your guys around different mines.
    I think the mothership belongs in combat, especially at the beginning. The mothership alone with 2 lvl 3 tanks can take out an unimaginable number of lvl 1 mechs.

8. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Very good idea would be to upgrade your lvl 1 mechs with the credit you get xD.
    Mine have atk + 50, def + 50, and hp + 100%.
    =4500 credits

9. aznriceboi13

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    hmm i think i should note you can only have one of each item equipped, like you can't have two lvl 1 mech atk +50% on at the same time
    also the items can be equipped on other armadas(alien, cyborg, human) even when already equipped on others

10. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Thanks for the tip! I was just about to try stacking.

11. aznriceboi13

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    #11 aznriceboi13, May 9, 2010
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
    in beta you could stack, but since they increased the effect of the items they decided to limit it to one
    edit: also mechs>tanks>ships>mechs
    if you don't see any units coming out of you mother ship then your probably don't have enough resources or you're not on flat ground

12. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #12 backtothis, May 9, 2010
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
    i really wish they'd lower the variety of upgrades...there's too many on that list. just scrolling that thing is a pain the ass.
    there should be just one level of upgrade per type of unit.

some beginner tips, not gonna get to the advanced stuff yet. And i still gotta write that review lol..but anyways:

-as soon as game starts, move the two mechs onto the mine, and immediately queue 6 lvl 1 mechs. move the mechs onto the mine until theres 6 on it. make sure they actually are mining (they're lit up).

-As soon as you colonize the first mine with 6, move your mother ship along with the two extra mechs you made to look for another mine. they usually are right in front somewhere.

-build a lvl 3 tank early to defend mine outposts or to obliterate enemy lvl 1 mechs easily. Also make good use of the mothership. It's attack owns miners.

-defend your mines and be sure to check on them occasionally (every 2 mins) since it's sometimes hard to notice that enemies are attacking it.

-dont build just one type of unit, especially if it's lvl 1 mech grunts. 3 lvl 3 tanks can take out 10-15.

-dont fight mothership vs mothership unless you now youre gonna win, dont forget to always have units queued.

-The lvl 3 ship massed is unstoppable (costs 90 each). dont try to mass this anytime before 4 minutes is over.

-dont sacrifice troops for nothing, always run when you know youre going to lose.

-explore the map to every corner with a mech once youre well established, as in you already have 3 mines with miners on it. you honestly dont need more than 3 mines with 5 miners though. that should be more resources than you can spend.

-AIMAIMAIMAIMAIM, aim your damn attacks on the BIG THINGS first xD. If you're fighting the mothership, be sure to kill the other guys other units first, since the recharge for the mothership is pretty slow.

-buy upgrades with your credits for lvl 1 mechs first, really.

-lvl 1 and 2 tanks and ships are worthless, they dont cost that much less than the lvl 3, especiallly the ships. whatever you do dont build level 1-2 ships. Actually dont even build ships til pretty late into the game.

I'll add in depth strategy later. heheh

13. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    -the mines are randomly spread every game besides the one at the beginning, remember to explore.

-spend credits on upgrading lvl 1 mech!!!

-attack often, attack hard, before 4 mins you better have attacked xD.

-lvl 3 tanks + mass grunt mechs can wipe out fleets of lvl 3 ships + grunts in no time, especially if you have the upgraded mechs.

-upgrade hp + armor first

-remember you opponent is always opposite from you unless it's a 3 way game.

Contribute ppl please!!
    More later...still gotta write that review today heh.

14. Doomedo

Doomedo Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    Expand fast. Sometimes you don't even need to have that mine that you spawn at.

It's important to control the center, unless its a 3+ person game.

Waiting out your opponent, while massing troops is wise.

If i recall, mechs 1, 2, and 3 All gather AP at the same speed, So use Mech 1's to gather for the most part.

Spamming units is very effective.

Thats all i have for now. Backtothis did a good job

15. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    thanks!
    some more people contribute please

16. Doomedo

May 9, 2010
    There's a few good strats i can think of now.

Guerilla warfare - Focuses on Plane's speed and damage to perform hit-and-run tactics.

Upgrade speed, attack, attack range, attack rate, health, armor, and sights of plane 1,2, or 3 (depending on your style you can pick one.. I'd recoommend 3 though) (and v3 version of course). Then put Speed, armor, and health V3 on mech one.

The main strat here is to get ur mechs a bit beefy and fast. So you can expand fast with those speedy mechs. Once you expand fast, you can Start pumping out planes.

Strat 1 - Now once you have those Planes... You Can go around someone' base and pick off their miners then disappear before reinforcements come. If your good at Micro'ing you can possibly attack from all angles. Once you get about 7 ships. It's basically gg for your opponent.

Strat 2 - Mass up planes and rush the mothership. Simple.

I'd reccommend plane 3 because it's the most powerful?

Counters - Massing Mechs. Nuff said.

Domination- Uses all units to attack, Well balanced. Good against almost any strategy, as long as you can expand fast.

Upgrade Speed on mech 1. Then on mech 3 get Attack, Attack rate, Health (Alternatively, you can get attack, health and armor if you want them to be a bit beefier to combat tanks) Then on Tank 3 get Attack, health, Armor (these guys are going to be on your front lines soaking up damage) Then on your planes get Speed, Attack, Attack Range (Planes are for guerilla warfare + surrounding enemy)

Strat - Expand fast. Build up 3-5 tanks, then 3-5 planes. then Mass Mech's. Have tanks go first, then have mechs follow. Tanks will soak up damage while the massive mech armor will do lots of damage. Feel free to replace dead units. Also take your planes and go around and basically "snipe" enemy miners.

Counters - A good player who can expand fast, have good use of micro'ing, and know's what to do is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to defeat when their using this strat. But if your opponent is mediocre and using this strat, then you might be able to get planes and kill their miners to stop their economy.

Mech Massing - Focuses on Level 3 mechs.

Upgrade level one speed. Then for Level 3 mechs, upgrade speed, attack, attack rate, attack range, sights, health, armor. Then upgrade Attack, and attack rate of Level 3 planes.

Strat - Expand fast as usual, then start mass producing as many level 3 mechs as you can, with a few planes here and there. With 18 miners mining you can probably make about 30 or so in 90 seconds. Then go seek out the enemy. The planes are for people who like to level up their tanks. If you encounter tank problems, start massing up some planes as counter.

Counters - If you have tank and mech upgrades, you can counter both the planes and the mechs in this strat. Simple. Tanks > Mechs. and Mechs > Planes. So abuse your weakness triangle and counter ur enemy wisely

I'll think of more later.

17. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    thats the deep stuff im talking about
    ill come back with some later.
    thanks!

18. Doomedo

May 9, 2010
    Always hum the galaga theme song when taking on a horde of enemy planes.

19. Doomedo

May 9, 2010
    Also.... the most OBVIOUS tip.
    AND MOST IMPORTANT...

EXPAND EXPAND EXPAND (quickly).

if you don't expand fast, your opponent will. And if he gets 2 or 3 mines, that's like about 15 AP per second. he can mass produce almost anything he wants now.

So basically... EXPAND

20. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Just tried that and massed 15 ships on the enemy mothership. Let's just say that all his 20 massed tanks went boom.