Tin man games (gamebooks sale)

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by oooooomonkey, Oct 30, 2013.

1. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Not sure which ones but it looks like there having a Halloween sale, just picked up the ones I was missing (house of hell and erm *cough hex boyfriend *cough)
    Anyway grab grab grab any that are cheap that you might not have.

2. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I think last Christmas's 99¢ sales spoilt me. Now when I see Tin Man, my Pavlovian response is, wait for the Christmas sale...

Unless it is the long anticipated Appointment with F.E.A.R. which has been delayed. F.E.A.R. agents have probably infiltrated the developer and are striving to keep their existence hidden...

3. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    All of the Tin Man's Gamebooks are great. I can't take advantage of this sale though, since I have already got all of them. :) A definite buy at this price!

Gun Dogs is coming this year as well.

4. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Why buy at $1.99 when you just know 99¢ is coming? Especially when buying in bulk? i.e. all the titles released since the last Christmas sale...

5. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    As far as I can remember this is the first time that house of hell has been on sale and the hex boyfriends book is only 69p so what's to wait for?
    I've got them all now anyway, all the original tin man books I've bought at full price and they're worth every penny and even made me go collect some of the paper back FF books.
    Can't get enough of the choose your own adventure books and while the FF books are cool I do like the original books that tin man puts out.

6. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    Firstly, I have already got them and I don't think many people would buy them in bulk, since they haven't heard of gamebook apps before. An extra $1 would help the developer. If everyone got this attitude of waiting for the lowest possible price for every game, appstore will turn into (even worse) freemium junkyard.

7. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Don't get me wrong. I am still buying lots of instant download at original prices like Strategy & Tactics: World War II Deluxe which was like more than 10 bucks here.

Only Tin Man games am I waiting for sale. Last sale, I also bought most of the gamebooks. The next sale, I will get the rest of them if I have enough space left.

8. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Bought House of Hell after reading some reviews ( it was one that caught my attention instantly ) , zombie one looks too cliché and I'm tired of them to be honest.
    Actually, I never played game books before ( only Sorcery! On iOS ), so this genre was a revelation to me.Can't express how wrong I was thinking that it will become dull and repetitive soon, this game ( book ) offers so much variety that it's insane.RPG elements, nice artwork, eerie music , big house full of surprises and all kinds if horrors, just perfect for Haloween.I read text about game books history and making of HoH , very interesting for newcomers to genre.

Can someone explain me what is different about adventure books and fighting fantasy ones ?

9. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    House of Hell is probably my favourite FF book, even though it is very deliberately unfair in places (e.g. entire sizable chunks of the book that are literal dead ends you can't escape once you've started down them).

Most of the standard Choose Your Own Adventure-type books don't include any stats or combat, but are instead solely about the choices you make throughout the game. Fighting Fantasy, Lone Wolf, Sorcery!, The Way of the Tiger, etc. are different in that they were designed to bring more of a tabletop RPG experience to a single-player gamebook.

10. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I picked up Hex Boyfriends. I'm hoping that I can become Dark Willow and kick Buffy's ass but that may be pushing it. :D

11. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Had anyone played the Judge Dredd ones? Any good?

12. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I played the judge dread one, it's pretty cool and up to tin mans usual standards in terms of quality and choices, but personally I'm not a fan of the more sci fi stuff like infinite universe, clones and dread.
    I like the original stuff that tin man puts out like books 1-8.

13. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Thanks Monkey!!! I was an avid reader of JD back in the day. I have books 1-7 and always wondered how it translated to other subjects. Will give it a try!

14. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    It's good!

15. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia

Totally forgot to thank you for explanation.

Even though Haloween gamebook sale ended, Tinman just put one of their other books on sale - Gamebook adventures : Infinite Universe ( $ 5.99 --> $ 2.99 ).

16. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    What are those iap's though? Unlock full book 3 something €

17. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Unless they changed it, my copy of Infinite Universe just unlocks the rest of the game. I think it was sold in chunks. Anyway, it was fun, albeit the prose suffered compared to the Orlandes series.

18. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

They made an announcement a while back and changed it from free download with IAP unlocks, to a single upfront cost. If you were lucky enough to download it previously, you now own the whole game.

19. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Well, I paid to unlock the Infinite Universe way back then... I am ok with the developer making it free, but not the other way around.

20. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Thanks for heads up.