Diversity within the AppStore

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jgeirge, Jul 26, 2015.

1. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    [​IMG]
    With the AppStore slowly but surely growing into a more reputable gaming market place, I wonder, in your personal opinion, exactly how diverse In Genre is the AppStore?
    Which genres haven't been touched on & which are the constant norm?

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    With the fastest growing library compared to other gaming systems, this seems to have the most diverse. Having access to touchscreen, tilt, gyro, and location services adds to the diversity (even though it doesnt always mean the games are good).

The only thing i can really think of that isnt entirely covered is an oculus type of interaction. There are attempts, but none that offer the same quality. Not yet at least.

3. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    #3 Elsa, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    There's a shortage of bird dating sims. We can fit devices into our pockets that are thousands of times more powerful than the computer that got us to the Moon, and you're telling me I can't even date a pigeon?

4. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    #4 jgeirge, Jul 26, 2015
    There is an Eagle simulator on the AppStore... And you can make babies. So I guess it is pretty damn diverse haha
    And yes oculus type immersion (VR) isn't covered much at all, but with YouTube new 360° feature, Google cardboard support & some new VR games coming in sure it'll increase

5. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    #5 Adams Immersive, Jul 26, 2015
    We can never have enough "art games" (for want of a better phrase) in my view. ALL games are art, just like all movies, but some are more artistic than others. By "art games" I mean ones where traditional gameplay concerns are not the point, but rather the experience. Year Walk might be an example; maybe Enviro-Bear 2010. (Dear Esther is a great example, but is only on PC/Mac.) Also Tale of Tales is known for making them, and has a few iOS titles.

I have finished an iPhone VR game that my testers have really loved. It has VERY strong 3D and fast motion, much better sense of 3D than Google's demos, yet the purpose of my experiment was to achieve that without motion sickness. The experiment succeeded, so I will release it, even though I intended it as my own private test.

It will be free (too small a niche to make any money, plus it's barely a game--mostly just fun flying around). The link in my signature has more about my iPhone VR efforts, if anyone's interested. Including my homemade lego Google Cardboard headset. (But I'd welcome recommendations on a commercial alternative with a strap.)

I don't have a title for it yet; I'm waiting to release until I finish my first iOS game ("Scree," non-VR) so that the free VR game can include a little message promoting Scree.

iPhone detail levels, of course, cannot reach the maximum possible with an Oculus Rift and a big gaming PC/Mac. But I have an Oculus Rift horror title in progress, which I now hope to release (with the VR being optional) for iPhone/iPad as well. If the detail can't be the same on all platforms, I hope to at least make it very good.

6. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Lol loved your response Jgeirge I guess I just dislike when someone tries to steer away from the serious question threads with a trolling type remark just to get a response.

I've switched my gaming from consoles to strictly mobile recently because of all the diverse games the App Store has to offer. I grew up with every game system since NES. Now that I'm busy with family work and no time to do what I have my whole life , the mobile app stores fit my gaming life perfect. And because of the games made their are so many new genres of games being created what I thought were my favorite genres were just because that of what I was limited to on consoles .

7. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    Diversity's good enough. Some of those could be subcategorized.

I'd add another category by the name of "board games". Many in the board gaming community's gotten iOS devices, especially Ipads for that reason alone.