indie developer need your help on the art direction

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TapMad_D, Dec 27, 2010.

?

Do you like this art direction?

1. definitely i like it!

76.9%
  2. no...i won't play a game with such arts

7.7%
  3. not sure about it, maybe show me some more?

15.4%
  1. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    #1 TapMad_D, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
    hey there,

thank you very much for opening and reading my thread.
    we are TapMad, a small studio located in UK and we would like to make great games that make you tap your screen as you are mad. LOL.
    back to the topic, we are developing an action based game. so far, we have fixed the gameplay and level design and started working on the visual part. our concept artist just made out 1st BG. we are not so sure if it is attractive to male players(we are quite confident that girls will like it :) ).
    you are our potential user, and we believe it is better decided by you guys. please use the poll i attached here. if you could also give us your suggestions, we will really appreciate.

THE background concept is as follows:

[​IMG]

almost forget to say:
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year~!
    cheers,
    David
    TapMad

2. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    #2 crex, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
    I really don't care what the are style looks like to me. If its fun and creative I'll most likely pick it up. Although the art style does look VERY NICE. Maybe just change a few of the colors like make the pink rocket a dark red color. Other than that, I'll buy it.:D

3. TapMad_D

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    ummmm, interesting perspective...
    i will add it into my checklist. not everyone is caring about art.
    and i guess it could explain why titles like Canabalt could be so successful. because its core value speaks for itself.

4. I like the art style so far, but I'd like to see more characters.

5. TapMad_D

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    coool~~i will add more arts when we have it out from the artist's brain,haha.
    Haruhi, is this name from the awesome japanese anime Suzimiya Haruhi Series?
    i am a great fan for it!!!

6. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

I like what I see so far. Not entirely original, but a nice look. Bright pastel colors, cheerful objects. Hopefully it isn't one of those looks good in screenshots but terrible in motion games.

For most people, if a game is fun, and the gameplay is something they're interested in, they will buy at the right price. This means a lite version will help, and beta testing.

Is the object to fly the ship and collect the flowers? That's what I got from the pic lol

7. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Yup, especially the beta testing.;)

8. TapMad_D

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    got you guys! hope you could still be supportive then in beta test :)
    yeah, you are right :)

9. Paradiso

I'd beta test for this, looks interesting enough :)

Any more details? Story, characters, controls, for which device, etc.

10. TapMad_D

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    thanks for being supportive~~
    1,haven't sketch out a story for this game...nor for character(guess there won't be biped characters)
    2,control, big thing here inhouse. we are fighting on it.LOL hope we could end it up before we kill each other.
    3,personally i want it be universal, but our 1st priority is touch4 and iphone4

11. Paradiso

Well you have the look down, which is good. For controls I'd say touch rather than accelerometer. Or both, with the option to choose. It'd be best making it universal, but if that's an issue, then I'd go with the latest iPhones and iPods, as it can be made universal later, and more people own iPhones than iPads.

Feel free to bounce ideas off me, it's fun seeing a game go from concept to release :)

12. TapMad_D

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    thx again, man! you are enlisted, haha. i will find you out when we start beta testing.
    i noted your suggestions here. control method switch seems a good solution. better check it out tomorrow.
    have a great vacation!

13. Paradiso

No problem! I'm on here pretty much every day, so I'll be easy to find :)

One last question though, what's the title?!

14. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Good color scheme, and it's very polished and professional. Reminds me a little of Patapon. I like it.

15. TapMad_D

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    yeah, i noticed that...i saw your posts everywhere!

16. TapMad_D

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    thx, actually we borrowed the idea more from locoroco. but don't worry, it is not just a copy. i swear. :)

17. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Very good art. Keep the good work!

18. TapMad_D

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    thx~~~we will work hard on it~~

19. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    LocoRoco (scenery) with a dash of Patapon (monster). Guys, can't you create your own visual identity ? Most successfull games have a very specific look which is their own and nobody else's.

20. TapMad_D

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    agreed, Eddie. this concept is more like a mood painting sort of thing, not the finalized background in the game. all we want to confirm for now is whether the entire visual style is appealing or not. it does not mean we are faking those great titles. i'm not sure if i could finally make something visually totally unique(as indie, it is really hard to accomplish). but i will do my best.