We're mad as hell about iOS games that cost money, have ads, and/or any IAP at all.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 3, 2009.

?

Is Canabalt worth $2.99?

1. Yes

213 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

293 vote(s)
    48.2%
  3. Not my type of game

102 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Oooooooohhhh... I almost started to cry reading this...

2. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    TA should charge 7.99 to post in the forum, or comment on articles.

3. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I wont bother with telling you who this is aimed at but I can surely tell you who this isn't aimed at. People who can shell out 500+ bucks on the iPad and yet can't afford 8 WHOLE dollars on a game.....

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Target audience: People with iPads who want to play Fieldrunners.

Busted that case wide open for ya'lls.

5. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Ha! This is good stuff, nice reading material for my coffe break on the office.

6. Mindbender

Mindbender Active Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Why is it always the same discussion about the price?

I guess I'm some sort of a Dinosaur, who remembers the times where we had to get our lazy asses to the local game store to buy stuff for 90$ bucks, which was not even close to the quality of a game like Fieldrunners 1 or 2.

Isn't it always the same? Take it or leave it... but for god's sake, stop complaining and enjoy your lives, there are so many good things happening to you, so who cares about 8$ which you barely notice if you smoke or eat something from time to time... :-D

Keep up your superb work and support here at TA dear Subatomic team, there are still customers which appreciate all your hard work, not just for the development but also in terms of your customer support, which both goes far beyond the usual.

7. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Glad you liked the post, and hopefully the joke as well :)

Btw, I don't think the game should be a buck, it should be more, and in any case it doesn't matter what I think - it could be a zillion Dollars - if the consumers are willing to pay the price and purchase it. I also just added on a personal note that if I compare its price to a PSN or XBLA release, you get more sweat from the devs in a console release than this, therefore it is a bit over priced in my opinion and probably somewhere around $4 would make more sense. But again, the devs can charge whatever and we all personally have to decide if we are willing to pay.

I still think discussion is relevant in the main thread as if I pay more I expect more and that is relevant to the quality of the game. But I guess some do get tired of these endless price debates.

8. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Then why not invoke this rule for other games?

9. cabdog

cabdog Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Try E.R.A. instead..

Amen. It looks good, but not for $8 considering I have already played through the entire campaign twice on FR2 and I don't see a few extra towers enticing me enough to play the same maps again. Not when E.R.A. now exists.

Main point I agree with Mr. Void; now that E.R.A. is on the market, FR2 doesn't compare...doesn't come close to comparing in the strategies needed, the amount of things going on, and downright challenge and new/unique gameplay that is found in the ultra-polished E.R.A. (and E.R.A. is only $2.99)

In FR2 all you are doing is placing some towers, building a few mazes, and sitting back and upgrading. Try playing a few rounds of E.R.A and see all the goings on in that game makes this look like childs play, and it even strikes me now as being too 'cutesy'. Oh, but the visuals are nice.

Yes, E.R.A. has spoiled me..sorry Subatomic.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

It's really not though. TouchArcade threads get tons of traffic from Google as well as the TouchArcade app when people search for a particular game. If someone has gone as far as searching for information about something, they want to know whether or not it's good... Not how angry you are about it costing more than a dollar.

One of the best things this thread is for is exhibiting just how useless price whining is to the general discussion of a game. Most of these posts you can't even tell what game they're complaining about, just that it costs too much. Value propositions are a personal thing. Some people have jobs and can afford video games, some people don't. Actual discussion regarding a game's content, fun level, difficulty, achievements, or a million other things apply to everyone not just folks on your specific socioeconomic level.

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I do, that's why this thread has over 2,000 posts in it. They all get moved here. We can't catch 'em all though, unfortunately.

12. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Wow..........

I bet many people will disagree with your words of wisdom lol, its the fact the dev said the pricing will be adjusted so ppl who got the iphone version wont be emptying their pockets to get this version too

...but i guess you only read a few of this topics posts

13. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    If someone's pockets gonna be emptied by an 8 buck game then perhaps they need to prioritize, not get the game and continue with their lives. Also the original Fieldrunners for ipad costs that much, its not a total surpise so I dont get why everyone is getting so worked up about it.

14. AtomicAlec

AtomicAlec Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Hey guys! Fieldrunners 2 dev here. Very interesting thread - we certainly appreciate you all sharing your opinions.

To clear things up about that quote from me about pricing:

Yes, I misspoke. You all have my most sincere apologies.

It is 100% my bad and I feel terrible that my actions could reflect poorly on Subatomic. I am quickly realizing that I absolutely should not post info like that until days before launch because things change so frequently during development. Essentially, we'd considered doing that early on, but if we want to keep making games, we need to be able to recoup development costs. Maybe the iOS market just doesn't want games with a ton of polish and content? The good news is that you can vote with your dollars - not buying our game will send a clear and direct message to us about the type of games you're interested in. Of course, if you want high quality games with lots of content and polish, by all means, grab a copy of Fieldrunners 2 and Fieldrunners 2 HD :)

In short, we care a lot about our fans and want to show you all the same respect that you show us. We put a ton of time, effort, and money into developing Fieldrunners 2 so that it would absolutely blow you guys away. As a result, we have to be realistic with pricing and we can't just give the game away.

Sorry to anyone that I offended. I hope you guys get the opportunity to check out Fieldrunners 2 HD because it really looks and plays wonderfully on the iPad, especially with Retina display.

Thank you!

15. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what does the abbreviation of ERA stand for? I.e. which game is it?

16. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Check out the iPad games section, it's literally just called ERA... FANTASTIC TD

17. It's interesting that the top 3 threads in the ipad section are now all tds, era, fieldrunners 2, and kingdom rush hd. Wonder which one is best.

18. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    This place is a f**king joke.

19. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    ERA is a great game , I've been playing it all night. It is IPad only though so not really in the same boat as Fieldrunners 2 which is compatable with a lot more devices. Tower Defence is a perfect match with the touchscreen I feel, the more quality games we get like this the better. The TA community are great for gauging game quality.

20. JJay

JJay Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Don't drop the price!

Dear subatomic,
    The only thing worse than buying high is seeing the price drop soon after.
    I can guarantee I'll never buy another subatomic game if you drop the price.
    Price aside, Its a Great game.