FLASHOUT 3D (Universal) by Jujubee Games Studio

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Mike.Jujubee, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Graphics look stunning :D Can't wait for this!

2. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Again, like your other game, Pre alpha screenshots?
    On an iPhone 4?
    Wow, looks amazingly well.
    Looks like I'm gonna have to start freeing up some more time to play these games because they certainly look top notch and if ye are investing that kind of time in visuals, I'm sure the gameplay itself will be good as well.
    Best of luck with them.
    And thanks for coming on and giving us a look at them, it's always nice to see a dev here.

3. Mike.Jujubee

Mike.Jujubee Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    #23 Mike.Jujubee, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
    Thanks for your positive opinions! The game indeed runs smoothly on an iPod 4/iPhone 4 - now we are pimping up the visuals and I think next week we will upload some footage showing the game running on devices. We want the gameplay to be really fast (faster than most footage shown in the teaser) so a good framerate is our priority. These are pre-alpha screenshots so you can expect some changes ;). Thanks for posting!

We also plan a contest for Flashout 3D but we will keep you posted ;). Right now there's a contest for "Suspect in Sight!" with some cool prizes so if you want to check it out you can follow this link. Anyway something similar should happen for Flashout 3D in the forthcoming weeks.

4. CarnageGamer

CarnageGamer Active Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Wow, this looks really nice! Looking forward to see how the music affects graphics!

5. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Any info on how things are going?

6. faB

faB New Member

Apr 12, 2012
    La-la land
    I'm a huge fan of the original WipeOut series. WipeOut 2097, and Wip3Out Special Edition on PS1.

First suggestion:

To me the depth of WipeOut was the controls, and the speed. If this game doesn't achieve full frame rate, it's pointless.

Control-wise, if this game implements just left/right for turning, it's pointless.

The depth of the controls in WipeOut was that you have left/right, ANd you had some kind of left/right brake, I think "spoilers" or "airbrakes" whatever it was.

Then in WO if you wanted to brake full force, you'd press BOTH spoilers.

There were all sorts of tricks, like to turn sharply you'd turn AND use the "airbrake".

And to drift, you'd use also a combination of those.

So imho, the ideal control scheme would be to turn with tilt, and to brake on bottom left and bottom right. And the reverse: turn with buttons, and brake with tilt. However if you brake with tilt, you'd have to tilt forward or backward to achieve the "full brake".

Then I'd put the weapon above the bottom right, and "drop weapon" above the bottom left, so that you only need to quickly slide your thumb up if you are already pressing the brakes.

Okay now I have loads of criticism, even though I have not played the game, and have no idea what the design goals are. Yay internet :)

* Multiplayer: huge yawn. The killer feature in WipeOut was to compare lap times with friends, and there was even a fan site where you could input your best times. Beating your own lap times is what made it replayable to hell and beyond. Playing in real time with other people = gimmick. Nice but completely useless as far as replayability and depth of gameplay is concerned.

* Music disco effects: complete gimmick.

* Tracks: judging by the screenshots, going for realism, very bland/grayish cityscapes. Needs more colour. Unless you were planning to put lots of colour on the speed bumps and items, to create a sort of contrast? The tracks also seem to have fairly boring design. Remember WO had jumps and VERY sharp turns at times.

* 3D mode: another complete gimmick. Seriously, how many people are going to be able to take advantage of this?

7. Mike.Jujubee

Feb 23, 2012
    #27 Mike.Jujubee, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
    Things are going very good actually - Flashout is a bigger game than our second project which we will release this month, so this is why there's more information on "Suspect in Sight!". But if you watched the "making of" video, you could also see Flashout 3D in action (here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4BLhTiD5j0) - anyway we will release a gameplay trailer in a week or two so you will be able to see how the development is going and the game in action:).

faB:

Thank you for your very interesting post. I just want to point, that we are not making Wipeout, so you can't expect something exactly the same as the game on PS consoles. However we are also big fans of the series and we love speed, so I think you will be satisfied, as our main goal is to provide with this game three things: 1) speed, 2) good controls, 3) cool visuals. Of course right now you cannot compare iOS devices to such consoles as PS3 or even Vita, but still we think that we will be able to offer something comparable to content known from consoles. Anyway the tracks will be diversified and there will be alternate ways, hops, and sharp turns so you don't need to worry in this aspect of the game.

There will be a time trial mode, so you will be able to beat your own times and compete in this area with friends, as for the design of the tracks - yup, we're planning to bring mor colors to them, also thanks to visual effects.

As for the control scheme - we like the ideas you presented and we want the game to be enjoying for casual and hardcore gamers so we need to find a compromise here, but on the other hand we might implement a more demanding control scheme for hardcore players and this might be actually a good idea. In general we need to take many things into consideration and resolve many issues - for example when somebody will play the game using AppleTV, the control scheme should be quite simple so you would be able to play it without the need to look at the screen of your iPhone, iPad or iPod.

And the last thing - we know how important is the framerate in a racing game, I'm a big fan of racers such as Gran Turismo or Forza and all kind of simulatons, so I can assure you that the framerate will be really solid!

Thanks for posting and if you have more ideas/suggestions make sure to write them - we want to make this game as good as possible so all ideas are welcome!

8. Fil2

Fil2 Well-Known Member

May 29, 2011
    Hi, any news?

It seems you are making the best iOS futuristic racer game!

9. Mike.Jujubee

Feb 23, 2012
    Thanks very much - there are news indeed, the game is shaping up and looking really cool right now and we plan to release a making of video with gameplay very soon, so stay tuned, there's a lot to show!

10. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    I found this thread from another racing game thread. I will be buying this first day since it supports iPad 3.

11. Mike.Jujubee

Feb 23, 2012
    It will support the iPad 3 (new iPad) from the first day of the release and the game will have additional graphic effects on this device, as well as on the iPhone 4s :).

12. Mike.Jujubee

Feb 23, 2012
    As promised here is the making of video for FLASHOUT 3D! The quality of gameplay and graphics shown in this video is in beta stage and for iPod 4/iPhone 4/3GS and iPod 3 Touch - you can expect even better graphics on the iPhone 4S and the new iPad!

All opinions are much welcome!

13. Looks cool, but definetely to much WipeOut(y) in my opinion. Needs more light effects, glow and lasers tho.

good job

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Looks great, hope its not tilt controls only though

15. Mike.Jujubee

Feb 23, 2012
    There will be at least 3 control schemes :)

16. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Thanks for the video. It looks like the animation is very smooth. I love the way the ships appear to handle. This will certainly be a first day purchase for me!

17. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Omg shut up and take my money seriously!!! :D

18. Mike.Jujubee

Feb 23, 2012
    Thanks for your opinions - we are really happy that you like what we showed and we hope you will also enjoy the game :).

19. Mike.Jujubee

Feb 23, 2012
    #39 Mike.Jujubee, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
    You will - closer to the premiere ;). We achieved this level of detail on the iPhone/iPod 4 and we are very pleased that we can bring this level of quality to the previous generation of devices, but of course you will find additional effects on the 4S and the new iPad;). This is just the beta - still almost 2 months of development left - enough time to push all devices to their limits!;)

20. Muz333

Muz333 Active Member

May 7, 2012
    Microbiologist.
    UK
    This looks like an upcoming gem and I am impressed with the level of graphics. Will be good nostalgic fun to relive a wipeout experience on the move.