coding iphone games

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by dewy666, May 27, 2009.

1. dewy666

dewy666 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Where is the best place to learn iphone game/app programming as i have a few good ideas and would like to transfer them to apps some things i would like to know as well

Best SDK (official apple sdk or otherwise)
    Best 2D Graphics Design software
    Best 3D Graphics design software

And tutorials on how to use the above

I am on OS X 10.5.7
    And would like to start making app/games
    Im going to download iphone sdk 3.0 and try it out
    also is it best to pay for a developer license before or near completion of app

Any help will be much apperciated

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

You can find an amazing amount of information on Google, why don't you try starting there then come back with any specific questions you have. These "how do I start making iPhone games" threads that are popping up lately could all be answered this way.

3. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    i have searched but i want a straight forward no experience learn to code iphone apps

so dont assume that i haven't searched i wanted developers opinions on how to learn to do it i could just have asked my brother that question and he would have given me a better response

sorry if this sounds abusive i just hate people who make assumptions with no evidence

4. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Colorado
    Have you done any programming or game developing before? Or is this all new to you?

5. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    no thats why but am a quick learner i just want to make a game either for iphone or for osx (which has barely any compared to pc) but mainly iphone i have attempted to read through and learn xcode with the help of sams xcode 3 unleashed but i cant make heads nor tails of it

6. jonaswills

Patreon Gold

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Colorado
    Thats' because making games, especially on an iDevice is generally much harder to dive into before you even know how to program. I suggest learning some basic programming first, then start making some very simple games for your computer, and then moving over to the device. Check out http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/

7. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    well do you reckon i should read through everything on developer.apple.com/iphone/index.action ???

8. jonaswills

Patreon Gold

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Colorado
    It's not going to make any sense to you until you learn to program first, so learn to program and make sure you understand before you move on.

9. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    thank you for all your help

10. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Send a PM to wastedyuthe. He, like you started from scratch learning C for the first time and release his first game recently

11. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    another question what is the best way to learn C language and could you point me in the right direction

12. Thorero

Thorero Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Graphic Designer, 3D Modeller, Web Design
    Portugal
    Try and take Jonaswills advice, forget the iDevice for now, program some basic Mac games, perhaps a Pong or Tetris Clone.

13. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    but currently i wish to learn c so i can code mac and windows because objective c is an alteration of c/c++

14. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    can someone point me in the direction of some tutorials to learn coding preferably ones i can get right into

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

16. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    this might be a bit off topic but is there a free mac sdk or is it xcode and cocoa

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

What do you think XCode and Cocoa are?

18. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    i dont really know but i did attempt to learn to code iphone apps before but without commitment and just played about with xcode and cocoa didnt learn much because i was really busy with other stuff

19. Murdoch

Murdoch Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    #19 Murdoch, May 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
    I like how you said this, quick clean correct.

The voice of reason, holy crap. Its not that hard people figure this stuff out on your own for once, or learn to ask the right questions. mommy wont be around for ever.
    what is "the right questions"? well if you are going to do things on your own you just need a little direction and you've already tried search engines and looked and looked but your stuck, then ask that question where your stuck....but people don't want to do things for you for free, we have our own things to deal with.

20. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    hey i asked whats the best/quick way to learn to code iphone app not can you please do all the coding for my app for free