Add on to iPhone with iPads version?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Coldar, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #1 Coldar, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
    While downloading my updates (example: Chopper). I noticed this:

"Universal App, iPad version now bundled for free with iPhone version".

My normal mb's for the game is 3.5mb for version 1.2.1
    Now with the update its jumps to 6.2 mb for a version 1.3

This is twice as much as the original. Mainly for the iPad bundled w/ it?
    Why?...am I missing something....clueless.
    I'm trying to save space on my hard drive and why the bloated ware for this on my device?
    I simply don't understand the reasoning.

Am I to expect more mb's per game because of this now?
    Thanks!:)

Edit: This is in no a way a knock against the ipad's games btw. I'm only asking.

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    new/bigger graphics take up a lot of space.

arn

3. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    yea...but that's ALOT of space for my pc.

Hmm....what to do?

Any suggestions other than getting a bigger pc? Anyone?

4. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    really? 3MB is not a lot of space. What's your hard drive size? :)

arn

5. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #5 Coldar, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010

Edit: 70 GB w/ only 2 Rams of memory.

6. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #6 Coldar, Apr 1, 2010
    I'm referring to all the games with the ipad version added in....I see not just this one but others too.

I stopped my updates because its going to overload me with all the other games with the new ipad version added on in the near future.

And unfortunate, as in Chopper it also has other updates included of worth to me. Dilemma........
    Another thought is my device will bloat as well.........Double Dilemma.....

Edit: Been thinking, although I try to keep my pc trimmed down thinking of putting my apps/games in a separate flash card/memory stick or sd card...think that would be an only option at this point. Unless there are other better suggestions without the expenditure.

Oh yea......thanks for the personal response Arn......appreciated.

7. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Thread can be locked or...
    If Mods wish to do so.
    Don't wish to add any negative input to the ipad/games debut.

Thanks!

8. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Hah!!!

My app space on my HD so far (before all this iPad upgrade stuff) is 24.7 Gb of apps....

I have a 250 Gb HD, but will probably be putting in a 1 Tb addition at some point. You can get a 1 TB HD with a 32 or 64 Mb cache for around $70 on sale. So I would recommend adding a HD to your existing computer, or an alternative would be to get an external HD. A bit more expensive, a bit slower, but you don't have to muck with internal stuff. It is then pretty easy to port over all the existing iTunes stuff over to that drive. I can point you to some web sites that have good explanations how to do that.

Sux to run low on space. Thankfully memory is cheap these days, and HD are really cheap, and continue to fall in price...

But, yeah - all the apps that are universal are going to get much larger - the larger issue will be on the iDevice I am thinking - especially for those that use categories, or really fill up their iDevice with lots of apps, movies, and iTunes. And with no ability to increase memory on them (or the ipad for that matter) - when the app sizes increase too large, you have to start deciding on what is important.

I saw an app for Gray's Anatomy for iPad - looks magnificent in their detail - only $1.99 - a total steal, but almost 500 Mb... Yikes!!!

Let me know if you need any help with the drives stuff, I am not an expert, but have done a lot of swapping, and re-installations, etc.

9. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Thanks pluto6 for the info on the external HD's and offer to help. Glad your around and will keep it in mind although I'm somewhat savvy on certain parts of the pc.

I'm a little concerned more of my Touch being only an 8gb.
    Have to start cutting down some later on or get a bigger one in the near future.
    (I'm hearing voice's now saying "get the ipad"...lol)
    I'm just wondering where we will be in a short while if it keeps up? I can only sacrifice just so many games....lol

Anyway...can't add more ram to this few year old pc so probably looking for a new one as well.

Ah......the sacrifices for the upcoming, newer and improved games.
    But worth it, guess'
    Thanks again!:)

10. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Yeah, gonna show my age here but I remember using cards to program Fortran, sssd floppies, when 10 Mb was more than anyone should ever need. I first " expensive " Hard drive was 180 Mb and was on sale at $1100.

I think that the 8 Gb touch and phone will have some memory issues and the drag will be constantly swapping things on and off. I wonder if the playlist let's you do apps? Probably not , but that would be cool. I am alread seeing a need within iTunes to be able to separate out iPad only apps, the built in thing is missing tons of stuff so I am having to keep track with pencil and paper. Pretty funny.

If I can help let me know. My advice is check what's new prior to the dl and in no content, just ipad support, keep what you got. I have a lot of old apps that I like them without the updates, and just ignore when they come through on iTunes.

11. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #11 Coldar, Apr 2, 2010
    Good advice and will stick to it.
    Be ok.......thanks again for your response and help.....as always!

Edit: Your bringing back memories of my first pc. 32mb's of memory.....heh

12. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Surely not everything is going to double, right? I thought most apps were going to be iPad specific and separate from the regular apps...

13. Rblacula

Rblacula Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    I have a SeaGate 1 TB external harddrive, it's amazing! I got it for $70 and couldve gotten a 2 TB one for $50 more. You should check it out! Works great! Other than that, updatings always optional except for firmware upgrades, so unless it has added content I would advise not updating.

14. Santoron

Santoron Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009

Definitely a difference of opinion between devs on how to handle iPad boosts to existing games. A lot of early games seem to be going the seperate app route, and a distinct minority are going the all in one, dual-function app. Each has a benefit: An all-in-one app saves you money while maximizing functionality between devices.... if/when you have both. But it's gonna add size. Separate apps cost you more money (to get both versions), but if you don't have both devices, you'll save space.

Personally, I favor the all-in-one app method. I won't have an iPad anytime soon, if ever. But if/when I take the plunge, it would be nice to see a number of my apps optimize themselves (for free) for my new device rather than paying for new versions or dealing with blocky, upscaled visuals. Of course, I have a 32 gb device, with several gb still sitting free. On a smaller device I might feel the counter argument a bit more...

15. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #15 Coldar, Apr 2, 2010
    D/l'ed the new iTunes version yesterday and now see the updates I won't be installing are listed at the top now. Going to be quite full if I choose this route. Not to mention that big old red numbered circle on my AppStore icon on my device as well.

Thanks for the input and waking to a fresher mind in tackling this and will evidentially do what has been suggested in getting an external hd but still in need of a bigger pc with more ram/memory which will be another future purchase.

As for my 8 gb device, guess will have to just be more stringent in what to add from now on. Thanks again all for the helpful input.:)