Dev account finally approved - when to start an "upcoming" thread?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by BenSS, Mar 11, 2010.

1. BenSS

BenSS Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Software Developer
    PA
    After 5 weeks it's finally approved! I just wanted to see how far along some of your folks would open up a thread there.

I've been working on my first shot for a couple months now, so it's not at ground zero. Tomorrow, when the account is set up I'll be able to hardware-deploy and get more functionality moving. There are bugs, but it should be semi-playable once I hook in the accelerometer.

2. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    start the upcoming thread whenever you think it is time to reveal it ;)

3. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

I start it when I'm sure I will release it. I have a graveyard of half finished projects -- no sense in announcing if you might just scrap it. Sooner is better though, to help build awareness and get feedback.

4. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    I would be careful about announcing it pre-maturely. You don't want to wait to long though.

I announce my game Bullet Skater a year too early, and development went on and off constantly. Thankfully, it's now done.

5. DieMonstersDie

DieMonstersDie Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I think I missed a memo. How do you get a dev account? I don't see any link to do so.

6. BenSS

BenSS Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Software Developer
    PA
    That's exactly the problem I've had with years of past projects! My HD is littered with apps/interfaces/etc that I started and never got far enough. I'm pretty determined to just get something released that's not embarrassing like a lot of the 99c apps.

7. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    My two cents (and totally opinion - your mileage may vary).

You should also create an upcomming games thread no later than a week before arrival in the AppStore.

It's ok to create an upcomming games thread long in advance of actually completing the game, but you'll need at least a handful of attractive screenshots. These screenshots can be 100% real, or partly mocked up. If you have a handful of works-in-progress, you can use upcomming games threads to gauge mainstream interest (and help choose which project to focus on) or to solicit ideas for gameplay/controls.

Or you can do both - create an "upcomming games" thread long in advance of completion. Then update the thread with video when the release is eminent.

8. BenSS

BenSS Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Software Developer
    PA
    Thanks Stroffolino. I've actually got an alpha going on hardware now with some preliminary graphics. I'm thinking once I get the basic gameplay functional I can start asking for feedback (pricing, modes, etc). Still not sure how I'll do a 'lite' versus 'full' version other than ad-supporting the lite which I'm hesistant to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

I'll echo everyone else with "when you're ready" ... building up some steam for your release is a great step! Just make sure you're going to follow through and actually finish the game. I'd say the best time is a few weeks before you plan to release it, that way you can continually update the thread with progress and have more people view it.

At least that's my plan for our new game... coming soon!

10. InsertWittyName

InsertWittyName Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Wait until the graphics are finalised.

I certainly wouldn't make a post displaying the placeholder graphics.

11. BenSS

BenSS Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Software Developer
    PA
    Howcome? It seems like there are some 'upcoming' threads that literally started in the concept phase. With good concept art, but still!

I don't think the placeholders I have in are bad - just not what I had in mind for the final app.

12. InsertWittyName

Nov 26, 2008
    If you have great concept art then that's fine.

But the placeholder graphics, no ;)

Are you using OpenGL or UIKit?

13. BenSS

BenSS Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Software Developer
    PA
    OpenGL - worked with it years ago on OpenWorlds and planning to do full 3D on the next app.

14. InsertWittyName

Nov 26, 2008
    Great, OpenGL is the way to go.

But seriously, I would hold off on the preview thread until you have something decent (and somewhat final) to show.

The premise being that if you show poor to start with, the potential buyer will associate that with the end product without even looking at it.

Strange, but true.

15. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    Well, it is probably nice to start a preview thread, however there is a chance that somebody steals your ideas. Have you taken this also into account?

16. BenSS

BenSS Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Software Developer
    PA
    I used to be worried about this, but just ideas are nearly worthless. Executing the idea is 90% of it! Anyone with the skill to execute the idea faster than I can finish likely has their own ideas to implement.

17. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    Hope you're right. (I just started a thread and put an ingame video our upcoming game in the "Upcoming games" forum. ;))