Will windows7 phones pose a serious threat to iphone gaming dominance in near future?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by beetle004, Mar 17, 2010.

1. beetle004

beetle004 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    #1 beetle004, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzdH1UI-Zo8&feature=player_embedded

[​IMG]

Forget Flight Control, how about full on XBOX action on your phone? The graphics look up to it and the game levels, credits and achievements will be recorded against your Live profile.
    This cross performance works on a number of levels. Not only will you be able to continue playing your XBOX games on the phone (we don’t know right now if you can play all of them) but also that it remembers you across platforms so you can pick up where you left off when at home in front of your XBOX. In a sense, this is what Sony has been trying to achieve with the PSP/PS3 hook up, but with all the other mobile bits added.
    If the 7 can be an awesome entertainment platform as well as the business platform of Microsoft’s heritage, this could be amazing.

http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2010/03/16/7-reasons-windows-7-phone-iphone-killer/

Microsoft recently held its MIX conference in Las Vegas, giving the full run-down of the upcoming Windows Phone 7 Series.

Much of what emerged is related to gaming on the device, including which partners are signed up to develop games, the Marketplace, Xbox Live integration, and hardware specifications.

Game developers will find that the slew of hardware and software features that they can use are similar to the iPhone's assets. App creators can use the phone's accelerometer, multi-touch interaction, GPS and location services, 3D graphics, and a notification system for grabbing the user's attention, even when the app is closed (similar to the iPhone's push notification).

What's perhaps more interesting, though, is the list of things that developers can't do. There will be, for example, no real time online multiplayer.
    http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Windows+Mobile/Windows+Phone+7/news.asp?c=19128

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/15/microsoft-announces-windows-phone-7-series-dev-partners-sling/

2. kcur

kcur Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    US
    if halo came out on this I might buy it...

3. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see what happens.

At least from a technical standpoint the power will be there: MS are requiring manufacturers to support DirectX9, which is what PC and Xbox games are written using.

From a sales standpoint, the AppStore is somewhat of a phenomenon, so I don't expect as much activity on that side.

4. iball

iball Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Meh. Maybe in a few years they'll have finally caught up to where the iPhone OS is now.
    Problem is....no copy-n-paste on the new MS phone OS whatsoever.
    Remember the "outrage" on that front with the iPhone? So it will take MS about 2 years to finally get copy-n-paste on their phone. This will slow adoption for some users, others won't care.
    But slow adoption rates means less market-share means less potential profits for developers.
    I can see devs looking at the ROI on a WinMoPho7S game versus the ROI on an iPhone game and going with the iPhone first.
    Two completely different development platforms means it won't be easy to "port" a game from one platform to the other and will incur costs that won't be as easily recouped on the WinMoPho7S platform as they are for the iPhone.
    It will take WinMoPho7S YEARS to catch up to the iPhone.
    And MS didn't learn a damn thing from Apple's mistakes and WinMo's/Android's strengths, i.e. no copy-n-paste and not allowing installing of software from anywhere other than their own store.

5. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    All of these "iPhone Killers" are just making the iPhone look like Chuck Norris.
    But this one seems a little more threatening, although it will probably take a few years before it can catch up with the iPhone.

6. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    Nope. The app store has such a huge head start (160000 apps already). Nothing will catch up, unless legit console games r created for the phones(such as cod mw2). And considering tons of iPhone developers like Gamloft And EA have been unable to do that so far, I doubt it will be done on a windows 7 phone

7. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Yeah this pretty much sums it up for me...

The iDevice is already a long stretch ahead of all competitors on portable technology and only getting better. You think they will just stop R&D(and production for that matter) and wait for them to catch up?

Apple+iDevice Devs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>yeah still playing catch up>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Some random iDevice killer...(they tried and no luck-__-)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>insert all other competitors that are and/or have tried and/or been triying here. ;)

Result....I will believe it when I see it.

8. Muscat

Muscat Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't think the Win 7 phone will take down the iPhone by any means, but it is certainly a step in the right direction for Microsoft. This is probably the first phone / OS that I've seen that is taking a real good crack at meeting Apples level of quality. I personally like the GUI, the flat square edged style appeals to me more than the iPhones soft bubbly features.

If nothing else its good to see some healthy competition, which is great for consumers.

9. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

What are the specs of the windows7 phones? I mean, even a 3GS/3rd gen ipod touch are pretty powerful NOW... not to mention the ipad which is even more powerful. I can only imagine a more powerful version of the iphone and ipod touch coming out in another year that will not only rival whatever power those phones will have, but as others have mentioned, years of a head start in their OS.

10. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

DS/PSP gamers may be more receptive to a company that knows gaming (Microsoft) than Apple. Imagine a Microsoft winmo7 phone/zune that was specifically sold to play games (360 mobile). It could be pretty big.

11. micgao

micgao Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    I don't think it will but if it does, then I will upgrade my phone. It's not like I have to use a iPhone for some reason.

12. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    The phone isn't actually out yet, so I'm not going to make any judgments. But if the Windows phone is capable of playing X-Box games, then I'm definitely going to get one.

13. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    #13 ultimo, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
    Lemme just Embed the vid & then i'll watch it

Is it just me or the vid is NOT loadin :(

14. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    graphics look great
    i wouldnt doubt that it could play xbox1 games, but it would be a very limited portion. tho if it could play xbox1 games then the phone would be heavy cause i dont think mobile hardware has evolved that much in terms for gaming

would be interesting to see

15. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Microsoft always overpromise and underdeliver.

They're always late (to the game and to meet their own set date) - which isn't surprising at all since all they do is seeing what others do and copying them. That needs time.

16. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    thats true. i mean, look at natal. thats literally eyetoy but with a better camera :eek:

17. asleyking187

asleyking187 New Member

Mar 17, 2010
    American Jets, Inc. has grown to become the worldwide leader for providing superior air ambulance service
    air ambulance

18. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    That's fantastic! Everyone follow that link!

19. Arc Linegod

Arc Linegod Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Student
    Quezon City, Philippines
    In my opinion, it depends on how Apple will tackle the situation. It's clear that Microsoft is doing a lot of work to entice gamers and game developers. What then if Apple actually tries to increase their efforts towards the gaming population?

Also, the way I view it, the iPhone and iTouch are actually more like Windows OS in terms of the application-base it gets. Windows OS gets a numerous amount of apps and games as compared to Mac OS X. Thus, the sheer amount of applications with enough to capture all audiences would play a big part.

Hardware might also play a part in this competition. Apple, of course, manufactures the iPhone and iTouch solely as its own, while Microsoft requires a set of external cellphone manufacturers. The result might either be negative or positive for Microsoft depending on those manufacturers.

20. Arq24

Arq24 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Look at that thing.I have about 100 game on my iphone and there is not even one which looks and moves like this.amen.
    apple is more casual yu know "press one button" games.There are few very good games but people are generally not intrested.look at best selling games right now in app store!!!so developers feed Us with f...in zombies and s..t like that.Thats how yu make a profit in this apple environment.
    ps:4 years and no really good strategy game what looks like perfect device for.