port game from iphone to ipad

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by vbovio, May 13, 2010.

1. vbovio

vbovio Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Hi there,

for those of you who have ported your game from iphone/ipod to ipad what were the steps you took regarding the XCode project ?..
    looking at the OpenGL sample project from both iphone and ipad, the only difference seems to be the "Base SDK", the larger window, and the icon size ?..
    what other things do you do ?, I have heard that you need to specify somewhere in info.plist that it is an iPad only app (if so, what key is it?).. also if your game is landscape only, you should support both landscape orientations (same with portrait), is that a must (rejection if not) ?
    is that all or am I missing something ?

Thanks in advance.

2. YOMANx

YOMANx Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Game Developer
    your app must support both landscape orientations!!! my -_- app was rejected...

3. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    #3 Anders, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
    The UI needs to be redesigned as well. Just upscaling will not work in most cases, if not all.

But yeah as mentioned, higher res graphics and textures, support for orientations, preferably all orientations. Why not take the opportunity to add some new features as well? The bigger screen lets you do things not really possible on the iPod/iPhone.

4. vbovio

vbovio Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    thanks for the replies!
    as for supporting several orientations, is there an API to handle that ?, or you need to do it manually, I mean, on OpenGL side, do I have to change the modelview and projection matrices ?, is there some functionality for the rotation animation ?..