The Fish Dies in the End - Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gutenbergn, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 gutenbergn, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
    [​IMG]

The Fish Dies in the End is an iOS game developed with cocos2d featuring a cute little fish trying to survive as long as possible against all odds. And now the game has been released! Check it out on the App Store and visit the new thread here on TouchArcade!

You can visit our website: http://www.thefishdies.com for more info.
    There's also a Twitter profile (@thefishdies) and Facebook page. So please follow/like us if interested!

Features:

• Gorgeous 2D cartoon graphics.
    • Retina support.
    • Several unique obstables and enemies to avoid - beware of sharks!
    • Simple, one-touch controls. Anyone can play!
    • Randomly generated game - a different experience every time you play!
    • Game Center integration - Achievements and Leaderboards.
    • Multiple difficulty levels.
    • Best way to kill time! (And a fish...)

Screenshots (click to enlarge):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trailer:

I would love to hear the feedback from this awesome TouchArcade community that helped so much since I began developing for iOS devices! Please tell me if you have any comments, suggestions or criticisms.

Thanks everyone!

2. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Well that name blows, what about changing it to.... well anything else really.

I'll throw out a name to try and get you going in the right direction, Little Fish.

3. Thanks for the reply, doodlejumper. A shame that you don't like the name :(. I hope that you at least liked the screenshots and general idea of the game!

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I like the name... but the black humor might turn off some people. Personally I'm hopeful the cynical jests carry through within the game.

5. Thanks a lot, undeadcow! I'm biased of course, but I think it's a pretty funny game!

6. Sandrem

Sandrem Active Member

Mar 4, 2011
    First, the name of the game needs a change. "The Fish Dies in the End" let me have a little negative feeling somehow before playing it. How about changing it to the name of the fish or just Little Fish, something like that. Another, are there any videos which can show more of it as i just feel it's a normal game, having nothing special things which can hold my attention.

7. cdm5456

cdm5456 Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Same opinion as the replies above, the name of the game do need a change. It makes me feel sick. A positive one is much better for players to accept. Next, I hope the design of the character can be much more detailed and nicer. The main fish is not attractive currently. One more thing is I can't find the highlights of the game which can make me feel interested in.

8. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #8 arta, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
    Clearly the name is meant to be tongue in cheek, it's going to stand out more then something like "Lil Fishes". Of course, it would help immensely to have some of that black humour seen throughout the game; if all you have is a cute fish trying to survive and unceremoniously dies in the end, it will be seen as an nastily thematic affront to games like Tiny Wings.

So your grasp on humor is key here; you want to be seen poking fun at cute games, either with a wink or harshly, but NOT poking people in the eye. Ever play Tilt To Live? Read the "helpful messages"? Snarkiness like that would go a long way in making people shake their heads and chuckle, instead of scowl.

Show us gameplay video for us to see how you handled it. :)

9. Lots of feedback, so thanks everyone!

My idea for the name of the game was exactly what arta said, it meant to be tongue-in-cheek and not negative. Anyway, if so many people are feeling bad about the name, maybe it's better to change it after all. If you have any more comments about this topic, just let me know.

I'll have a gameplay video coming really soon, you guys will be the first to know once it's ready :).

10. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I don't know if you need to change the name just yet, when you posted you didn't really explain that you were doing a tongue in cheek game, so people just saw a casual type game with an ill fitting name. Perhaps you should show us video of what you have at the moment before you do anything; that way we can see the gameplay and vibe of what you're trying to achieve.

I still think if done right you could have something that stands out from the pack, like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Something funny in the loading screens, cutscenes, messages when you get bonus items, etc like

"What do you get from a bad-tempered shark?
    As far away as possible!"

"I knew I should have gone with a cute flightless bird instead."

"Fish... because cute flightless birds don't do so well underwater."

Something like that, maybe darker or lighter depending on your taste. Maybe even the animations could reflect the humor, like Earthworm Jim.

Point is, you have to add more to let people know it's meant to be dark comedy, rather than some bitter dev trying to provoke people.

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #11 Vovin, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
    Well, you can't go wrong with a name like:

- Angry Fish
    - Doodle Fish
    - Zombie Ninja Fish

or (revolutionary new)

- Tiny Fins.

;)

12. DigitalPlay

DigitalPlay Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Support Guy for Digital Play
    Seoul, South Korea
    Hey I gotta say, I for one am digging what you guys are doing, both because the name is very cool and stands out from the crowd (plus I like dark humor) and best of all it is a FISH oriented game like what my company is putting out. I welcome any and all fishy friends. ;)

Good luck to you guys. I will take a look for it when it comes out since it looks like a fun title (digging the sharks! You guys should think about mermaids.)

-Nick

13. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    To be serious:

what about a big "Name The Game!" - contest? :)

14. DigitalPlay

DigitalPlay Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Support Guy for Digital Play
    Seoul, South Korea
    That's a good idea Vovin...though to be honest I like the game's name as it is, both because I like really dark humor and because to me it stands out as really different and unique from the rest of the crowd. The market these days is so crowded and competitive that a 'different' and even 'controversial' name might be the way to go.

Though I agree with an earlier poster that the fish could be cuter (at least on the Title Screen, though a lot of people really dig that "Spongebob" style look so who am I to judge.)

15. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

DO NOT change the name for the humor impaired! I think it's very clever and funny, and in fact was the only reason I even clicked on this thread to take a closer look... :D

As long as you have an amazing icon design to go with it, a great name will get you a lot more looks in iTunes once you go on sale. Not to say that they will all end in purchases, but the most important thing is attracting someone's attention in the deep sea of apps out there ;)

16. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Haha, no - don't get me wrong - I love that name, it really stands out! :D
    I only reacted to the demand for a new name, rest of the suggestions were just kidding.

I only hope that some pessimistic people don't say: "well... if the fish always dies in the end, why should I play the game"? ;)

17. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm with you here! All Survival games end with the death of the character but none ever call it out from the get go, I think it's dark and fun title.

18. I'm humbled by all of these comments for our little game, guys :). That's why this community is so great! Please keep the suggestions coming, I'm taking note of everything.

I'm happy that some of you guys liked the name and some of your comments were spot-on, it was designed to be pretty distinctive and funny. I'm still worried that some people might take it in a negative way, so I'm waiting for more opinions before taking a final decision about the name. If I ever decide to change it, a contest would be a pretty good option :).

19. Gamerl01

Gamerl01 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Cleaning restrooms at the local strip club
    Houston, Texas
    What can the ending of this game be?:p

20. Bitsandpixeltester

Bitsandpixeltester Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2010
    I am going to say that I love the name as it reminds me of one of my favorite books I have read recently titled John Dies at the End by David Wong. Please keep the name as I think it makes you stand out from the crowd of other fish games and all together is an original dark comedy concept.