Universal Crossword Dungeon (by Nolithius)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Nolithius

Nolithius Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Game Developer
    I was working on setting up a forum for this very purpose (and general discussion, of course), but starting a thread here couldn't hurt, good idea.

2. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    TA might have issue with it as it gives a false popularity reading. Probably best to set up an alternate place or email.

Anyhow, not to overwhelm you with bugs, but I just logged in and my level 50 scoundrel was now on Floor 1. The floor is totally empty/black and there are two empty clues. Tapping anywhere for movement has no effect. This happened after a crash last time I played.

And since my character can't die he can't go on the hall of fame :(

The good news is that I enjoyed this game enough to get to get a level 50 scoundrel :)

3. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I like the idea, but I can barely do crosswords slowly, let alone with a timer. LOL. I think I'll pass, but a clever game I appreciate anyway.

4. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Is there some kind of ETA on when we can expect the game to go universal?

5. Nolithius

Nolithius Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Game Developer
    Good point, no need to anger the powers that be! :D

I myself have seen this bug once, and have had it reported twice, including yours. I will do my best to track it down, but it is an elusive one, hard to reproduce.

Hey crunc, the game is turn-based, you play at your own pace. I also am not very good at crosswords, which was part of the inspiration to develop the game in the first place. ;)

Universal support is currently planned for the second update (there are some critical bugs, content, and tutorial that have to be tackled first, plus I do not own an iPad yet! :)), so roughly 6-8 weeks out.

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Many developers have run Social Groups here on TA for this purpose.

The other suggestions would be to apply for a dev account here on TA so you can include your game's icon in your posts, include a link to the game in your signature block, and possibly create a new thread and have this one merged with it so you can edit the initial post to reflect changes in the app (not appinfo, that gets updated automatically...)

7. wyzau

wyzau Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    any chance to get other languages? (i.e. german)

8. Tyra

Tyra Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Illustration & Graphic Designs
    Germany
    That would be awesome! That's the reason why I haven't touched the byu-button until now...

9. wyzau

wyzau Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    me too ^^

10. Nolithius

Nolithius Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Game Developer
    Many props to TouchGameplay for putting together that video.

As you can see, content has been one of the largest complaints, so I will be focusing on adding sufficient English words to have seldom repeats across games, and especially within games. This means minimum about 1000 words.

Having said that, I have considered doing a Spanish version, which is the other language I speak; and would be open for collaboration in other languages.

11. Marco1

Marco1 Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Loving this and left a review on app store.
    I'm hoping that this game gets the love it deserves.
    Please expand the words.

12. numinous

numinous Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Game Impressions

Stellar job and overall execution! A charming example of a game that comes off as "more than the sum of its parts". The crossword and dungeon aspects standing-alone, are middling. But when put together with fine music, skillful production/presentation, and well-integrated mechanics...nice groundwork and alot of potential here.

Many have already addressed the need to expand the crossword vocabulary, but I would love to see the "dungeon content" get fleshed-out more. It would be nice to progress through dungeons with a set number of levels, each dungeon concluding with a boss monster. After completing the dungeon, you would see a "scoreboard" of stat points achieved in the dungeon and then use gold to buy weapons/upgrades. Each dungeon getting progressively more difficult. It would also be nice if there were upgrades bought that you don't lose in death (like in Dungeon Raid, or Dungeon Story).

Different art-style/theme for each dungeon would also be cool, but as of now, having no storyline touches keeps it "pick-up-and-play-casual".

Also, if I may report one bug. This has happened to me a few times, when I'm speeding through early levels. Sometimes right after an encounter when I level up, I am already pressing to move to the next tile. If the next tile has a monster on it, the Monster Info Window pops up over the Upgrade Selection Menu (for leveling up). When I press on the Monster Info Window to close it, the Upgrade Selection Menu is lost, and my upgrade skill is whatever skill happens to be the one in the middle.

But, really fantastic job, and I'm sure you have a million ideas of your own that could not make this release!

13. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    If that rabbit hole is miles deep, Another possibility would be allowing the user to save manually in addition to the autosave, some kind of back up/failsafe.

But hopefully fixing the crashes will take out two birds with one stone.

14. Melanosol

Melanosol Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    England
    #95 Melanosol, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    This just happened to me too. 57 scoundrel, crashed whilst finishing a floor and decided to take a break. Loaded up just now to find I'm on a blank level 1.

As a continuation to the earlier bug report that you crash when hitting your character sheet twice; it seems to be whenever you issue another command before a previous one is done. Like others I was getting seemingly random crashes as I was moving around and selecting letters rapidly. However, and I can replicate this without fail, I've noticed that if you take your time and notice something you've pressed has yet to respond (movement, letter, anything) then a second press will crash you whereas waiting a few seconds will allow it to catch back up and continue. The only crash I can't avoid is when it sometimes does so whilst loading the next floor.

Edit: The resetting to floor 1 bug is replicable by fully closing the app or leaving it long enough that it has to fully load again, after a crash.

15. Nolithius

Nolithius Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Game Developer
    @numinous, thank you for the feedback and ideas. I've copy-pasted them into my enhancements document for future updates (the first one will deal with bugs and content).

@Melanosol, thanks for the detective work on ferreting out the cause of this bug; every little bit helps! :)

16. Zaraf

Zaraf Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    I got another bug for you. My barbarian used whirlwind on the second last tile on a floor causing it to kill the monster on the green tile and revealing the letter. Now I can't progress any further because te green letter has been revealed, preventing me from going to the next floor. I have to start a new game which sucks.

How about allowing that the green tile opens up a staircase that you manually take rather than automatically? That way people can go through and insight everything without having to worry about jumping to the next floor before they are ready.

17. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    Awesome findings! I wasn't going to play until the next update but now I feel safe. (Also, nice to see you again since crazy quest fizzled)

And on another note for Nolithius, I suggested a kind of counter before for #puzzles left on the floor, and I think a better idea would be to color code the map. Like words you complete go blue instead of grey.

Hmm. I was just multitasking back to the app to make sure that there wasn't a slight difference already that I hadn't noticed and when I came back was hit with the level 1 bug. This was without a crash, just sitting at the title screen. But would seem to be another memory issue. Good luck with that!

18. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Worth a buck?

19. Urthop

Urthop Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Nope, but it's worth 2 bucks. Unless it's on sale now ;)