Need help deciding which Board/Card games to get

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Darth Ronfar, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    #1 Darth Ronfar, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    Posted this in another thread:

Can someone reccomend me some good board/card game type games?

I have -

Stone Age
    Ticket to ride
    Bang!

And that's about it..

Here are some games I've tried but don't like -

Fluxx
    Summoner wars
    Ascension(yes I don't enjoy this game)

Some games I've been looking at -

Sorcery! - 4.99
    Sorcery 2! - 4.99
    Agricola - 5.99

Le Harvre - 4.99

San Juan 4.99
    War of the roses - 3.99
    Catan - 4.99
    Girls like Robots 2.99
    Caylus - 4.99

I have 30$

Please help..

*Ok I just went ahead and bought Tikal and I'm thinking it was a mistake as it looks extremely complicated and There's no single player? :/ guess I just wasted 2.99

So I'm down to 22$

I want a game I can learn kind of easily with a single player mode etc..

2. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    I've only played elder signs, and it's pretty simple... But it's also quite hard. It has expansions, basically new 'bosses' with a whole new map/mechanic though I havnt bought any. I enjoy it, but it's only single player. No multiplayer, which I guess is good for you. It's not for everyone, but try it. I'd suggest staying away from adventure time because of no multiplayer, in app purchases for random cards, and espically the timer. Yes, there's a timer in it.

3. Darth Ronfar

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Thanks,

I'll go head get Elder sign. Wonder what else I should get? Tikal is stupid(sure it may be fun to someone who knows how to play it, it'd be cool if I could learn with the AI but I don't see that option)

4. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    Carcassone Is pricy, and simple, but it's pretty fun if your into it. Uhm... Lords of waterdeep is good, but it's not my personal favorite. I've heard LE harve and Agricola are good.

5. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Check out Calculords. It's a card battle game and it's loads of fun. It's free so at least give it a shot

6. Darth Ronfar

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Thanks for the suggestions...

Any Sorcery! People around?

7. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Didn't play Sorcery but I did play Lone Wolf and it's fantastic. Also, I second Elder Sign and recommend Lords of Waterdeep; you also might want to check out eclipse and warhammer quest, they are both fantastic.

8. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Sorcery! is fantastic. Lone Wolf is great as well

9. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    Do NOT get warhammer quest until you look into it first. It's very hot and miss for people, I personally thought it was boring and repetitive, but you may like it. Just watch a video or something first.

10. Darth Ronfar

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    I've actually already played and beat war hammer quest.(it was fun while it lasted)

Ok this is was I ended up purchasing so far :

Tikal - 2.99 (bad idea)

Elser's sign : Omens - 3.99 ( this took me about 3 times to figure out what I'm doing and I like it now)

Wars of the Roses - 2.99 ( I'm really glad I got this one, I figured it out right away and am really loving it )

Sorcery! - 4.99 ( yes! This is pretty much exactly what I was Looking for. The down side is that it ended pretty quickly although it looks like it has some replayabilty)

So with 14$ left I'm def. gonna get Sorcery! 2 which will leave me with about 8-9$

And with that I'm thinking maybe San Juan, Agricola or Catan? However I also kinda want to buy The golden ham thing for Dungelot 2(but I'm waiting for it to re-launch)

I dunno if I have enough for another game and a golden ham but I'll see, thanks for the help and suggestions.

11. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    D&D Lords of Waterdeep

12. Darth Ronfar

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Would that be fun even if I've never played D&D?

I only have 7$ left after buying Sorcery! 2 so I pretty much can only get one more game.

13. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Absolutely. It has the D&D title, but except for the city name (and maybe a few other misc. references) the game has no real links to D&D. I love it, but you might want to watch a gameplay video before deciding, as I'd assume it would also be a hit and miss game, though I can't say for sure.

14. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I love Lords of Waterdeep as well, and beyond theme has nothing to do with D&D, but bear in mind that it's a worker placement game like Agricola or Stone Age.

15. Darth Ronfar

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Ok , San Juan or D&D ?

If possible can someone explain each..

16. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I'm new to board games but got Agricola over Christmas and really love it. As mentioned it is a worker placement game, all about getting resources and building up your farm.

Graphics are nice and feels solid. I'd say worth picking up.

17. Darth Ronfar

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    How long did it take you to learn it? I checked it out but it seemed like it was the kinda game that would take hours to figure out what to do?

Anyways I still haven't spent my last 8$ and I want to hear from someone about San Juan..(or Puerto Rico IRL I think)

18. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I must admit since I am new to "Euro" board games I was a bit overwhelmed when I first bought it. But I just watched some intro vids on Youtube (for the physical board game) and read some guides and I think it took me about 2 days to get the hang of things.

I am still by no means good at the game, but I know enough to have fun with it and try to get better with each play.

I would recommend to hit the ? button in the top left which will overlay text captions of all the board squares. Makes it easier and I think makes it look more like a board game then a video game.

19. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    If you like War of the Roses, then you might like Kahuna (from USM, too). I like San Juan and can recommend it, if you can live without online multiplayer (it does not work, at least here). In this card game you build production facilities (cards), produce goods and sell them (cards turned around) and get paid (with cards). There are buildings which help build, produce, trade or simply give victory points. The AI is good and the tutorial, too, it's overall pretty.

20. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    Some more: Quirkle, a tile laying game, Totems, another tile laying/majority game and Las Vegas, a family friendly dice game which can be tricky if you play the variant. All work fine solo and multiplayer.